Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with AP1 and MCU1, I did the update today... Looks like the only enhancement I received was the out of order supercharger info. I also tested summon via key fob and it is no longer working :(

Attachments

• teslaupdate2020.12.5.PNG
    teslaupdate2020.12.5.PNG
    790.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: AustinP and 1051
I stand corrected!
A few minutes ago I read in a separate thread that the 2020.12.5 summon via key fob issue is caused by the car not acquiring a GPS location after the update to determine what region it's in. So basically if you drive around the block after the update it should fix this.
I then drove to the PO and voilà, the menus inside of Customized Summon shows the "hold continuous long press" again! I also tested and confirmed the summon via key fob works again :)

Found the fix!!

What fix? There is noting to fix for those who have 12.5 on a 2020 LR+ with MCU2. The bug seems to only affect those who have older Tesla's with MCU1.

If you install two USB thumb drives, one in each USB socket, you will get two drive choices to select when you select the USB on the screen.

I have not tried exFAT for music. The manual says format FAT32 and that's the instructions I followed for both partitions on my drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
What fix? There is noting to fix for those who have 12.5 on a 2020 LR+ with MCU2. The bug seems to only affect those who have older Tesla's with MCU1.

I may have misunderstood what folks have been posting here—but, 2020.12.5 did indeed “break” my USB music. I had been using the same thumb drive, with a single large FAT32 partition, to hold both the TeslaCam folder and my music folder. It worked for both, right up until the update.

Once I installed the update, my music “disappeared”: I no longer had a USB icon, even though nothing had changed on the drive (easily verified on a PC).

So, we may be talking about different problems (as I alluded in my post), but 2020.12.5 most certainly did/does have a bug affecting newer cars. Even if it’s by design for some reason, a change in behavior like that wherein a common/default setting no longer works without any sort of release note describing it is a “bug” in my book. I certainly didn’t find out how to get it working by reading anything anywhere—as far as I knew up to now, we were all talking about the same problem....

If you install two USB thumb drives, one in each USB socket, you will get two drive choices to select when you select the USB on the screen.

Is that the “Folders” view? I only ever had the single USB icon to choose, but I never had to pick which drive on the occasions I had more than one installed for testing. I didn’t exhaustively try every option, though, I was just playing “can you see me now?” with the various thumb drives....

I have not tried exFAT for music. The manual says format FAT32 and that's the instructions I followed for both partitions on my drive.

As I say, I had FAT32 on a single partition. I then tried exFAT, when the new release supported that—only to discover that, while the MCU could now use that format, the dash cam still cannot.

Once I stumbled on the separate drive/partition answer for the music, I tried exFAT for the music partition (easier in Win10 to format, so, why not?), and it works fine.

Last edited:
Contacted Tesla support about loosing USB icon and got the following response.

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. I am happy to hear that you have received the latest software update.
We are working on a fix for this issue. We need to continue to push out our latest updates in order to ensure there are no other issues with your software. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your support in transitioning the world to sustainable forms of energy consumption."

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. I am happy to hear that you have received the latest software update.
We are working on a fix for this issue. We need to continue to push out our latest updates in order to ensure there are no other issues with your software. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your support in serving as our SQA department.

• Funny
Reactions: f205v and BigNick
As I say, I had FAT32 on a single partition. I then tried exFAT, when the new release supported that—only to discover that, while the MCU could now use that format, the dash cam still cannot.

Once I stumbled on the separate drive/partition answer for the music, I tried exFAT for the music partition (easier in Win10 to format, so, why not?), and it works fine.

To help show you what I am talking about, I just shot some pictures. The car was built in Feb 2020. Shown in the connections is a black cable that goes to a hidden SSD drive that is partitioned for teslacam and Music. Both are FAT32. The Flash drive in the second USB is for more music files and is partitioned FAT32. I picture of the two USB devices is the first option under USB. I selectthe top one and it opens for music. The dash cam viewer goes to the teslacam partition on the SSD automatically.
IMG_1773.jpg IMG_1774.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
So with all the latest hardware and the 2020.12.5 software update I never lost the USB in the main menu. It only added the dashcam viewer which has it's own set of playback bugs.

You're the first case I have heard where the latest hardware on a Tesla just made has lost the USB Music. I thought the bug only affected the older Teslas with MCU1.

BTW- all my music files are MP3 format. The SSD is a 120GB drive and the Flash thumb drive is a 128Gb Kingston.

I picture of the two USB devices is the first option under USB. I selectthe top one and it opens for music.

I've never seen that page (listing two USBs, "pick one"). I definitely have had multiple USB drives plugged in at once, but I have not exhaustively tested various configurations....

The car was built in Feb 2020.

How do you tell when the car was built...? I ordered mine in early Feb (as a LR), got it in late Mar (as a LR+).

Well, I'm a noob--perhaps I'm the only guy who was running a single partition on a single thumb drive! :eek:
I have a 256gb microSD / USB dongle that runs TeslaCam and music. I did put in another partition, but I put DVD movies on it assuming Tesla could read them. Nope.

To bypass the new LR+ theft of a USB, I put in a dual USB 12v cigar lighter adapter and a short USB extender. Now I have 2 available USB ports for the front row, one power-only and one data port. The 12.5 can see both partitions but it can't play the movies.

I stand corrected!
A few minutes ago I read in a separate thread that the 2020.12.5 summon via key fob issue is caused by the car not acquiring a GPS location after the update to determine what region it's in. So basically if you drive around the block after the update it should fix this.
I then drove to the PO and voilà, the menus inside of Customized Summon shows the "hold continuous long press" again! I also tested and confirmed the summon via key fob works again :)
So I noticed after a short trip (coincidentally, also to the post office!), that it's working for me as well. The weird thing is, the car knew where it was all along, because Homelink was working and the car showed it's location on the map, even when keyfob summon wasn't working. Oh well, whatever...

Reactions: SUM-EV
The 12.5 can see both partitions but it can't play the movies.

I heard there is a way to play movies on the dashcam player, but there is no sound. You have to format your movies in MP4 as well. The guy who did this also played a trick on the player by faking the file naming protocol so the player believes it is a sentry video.

If you really must play movies there is a much better way. Format your movie using a video editor like DVDFab to remove the copy protection and then upload it to You Tube. In You Tube keep the movie private to avoid getting dinged for copyright violations. Now you can access that movie using the YT player in your Entertainment Theater access if you have the Tesla Premium connection service subscription.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
But did it also show the traffic light symbol? It appeared and disappeared with the red hands warning so it is here and then gone with the red hands warning. If you don’t look quick you won’t see it as the red hands is the dominant visual.

Yes, it does show the traffic light symbol. I tested this feature with previous version, and it would flash red hands at the very last minute, as you started to drive through intersection with red light. On 2020.12.5, I got the traffic light symbol and red hands with yellow light before getting into the intersection; basically providing enough time to stop if necessary.

I tried an experiment in my 2015 S. I took the drive that used to work for music and wiped it. I created two partitions, one for Dashcam and the other for music - both formatted FAT32. Yes, I have an AP1 car with no hope of TeslaCam, but thought I would try it. I even put a \Teslacam folder on the first partition. Nope. It still does not recognize my FLAC files on the second partition.