Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good. Being installed now.

You know, at this oint I wish Tesla would just freeze the software configuration for the pre-facelift Model S. There's little to essentially nothing of value for those cars in the updates anymore, and they generally just introduce bugs that need to be fixed later.

You know, at this oint I wish Tesla would just freeze the software configuration for the pre-facelift Model S. There's little to essentially nothing of value for those cars in the updates anymore, and they generally just introduce bugs that need to be fixed later.
I feel the same way but I’m hoping that small tweaks to AP overall are still being added and changed making it better.
It could certainly use some refinements. still lots of bouncing and twitchiness in keeping a lane around corners and several other small things it still doesn’t do well.

Woot! Downloading it now. Assuming it installs. The last 3 updates wouldn’t install from the Tesla app.
2020.12.11.5 brought back USB media playback for me too. Strange behavior, I triggered the install from the app, but when I went out to the car it had not installed. I saw the usual screen suggesting a 3:00 install. I hit Install Now and came back in a few hours to check USB.

Bugs come and go and are annoying but stopping the updates to “older” cars is not the solution.
The recent messaging feature and the new voice control are great and works quite well on my 2015 pre-facelift.
The next update, 2020.16 will bring “Charge station power filtering” in the navigation, which will be very helpful now that third party have also been added.
Last year’s enabling of all google poi as selectable in the map to drive/call/browse (*) is very useful to me.
I’ll stop here, I could go on but indeed I’m glad updates are still for all of us.

btw, why would you single out pre-facelift cars. Some facelift cars have AP1 and MCU1.

(*) I know, the browser is kinda useless on mcu1... but wait, I just installed 2020.12.11.5... maybe it’s fixed now! :rolleyes:;)

poi: point of interest: any business or private registered in google maps.

Bugs come and go and are annoying but stopping the updates to “older” cars is not the solution.
The recent messaging feature and the new voice control are great and works quite well on my 2015 pre-facelift.
The next update, 2020.16 will bring “Charge station power filtering” in the navigation, which will be very helpful now that third party have also been added.
Last year’s enabling of all google poi as selectable in the map to drive/call/browse (*) is very useful to me.
I’ll stop here, I could go on but indeed I’m glad updates are still for all of us.

btw, why would you single out pre-facelift cars. Some facelift cars have AP1 and MCU1.

How long before one of the "annoying" bugs hits a critical system such as AP1 or even just cruise control in an unanticipated way and actually kills someone?

Yes, there have been some marginally useful changes to the user interface in the past year or so.

But regarding one of the changes you mention - "voice control" --- voice commands are a lot less accurate at interpreting speech since that feature was "enhanced." A subsequent fix improved it, but it's still significantly less accurate than it used to be. I often have to repeat myself two or three times now, where I almost never did before. For example, if I said "Drive to McDonald's" before, invariably all the nearby McDonald's locations would promptly pop up in the list for me to select one. Now when I say that, half the time the list doesn't pop up at all, and navigation acts like I didn't say anything. I have to repeat the command one or more times. And that's just an example - that happens very frequently with many destinations. Or the car just doesn't understand what I said at all. What a wonderful enhancement!

Certainly I could do without the updates that have degraded my car's performance.

I haven't seen ANY Google POI's on my map. Nor 3rd party chargers. Perhaps those features have only been implemented outside the US?

The facelift is simply an obvious marker in Tesla time. Most of the early configuration cars are pre-facelift. Yes, there are some after. It simply made an easy point of illustration that most people with cars from that era know. Sorry for not being more accurate.

Until Tesla implements regression testing for software updates (if they have have it now, it's obviously pretty ineffective), freezing updates for older model cars is the ONLY solution.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I feel the same way but I’m hoping that small tweaks to AP overall are still being added and changed making it better.
It could certainly use some refinements. still lots of bouncing and twitchiness in keeping a lane around corners and several other small things it still doesn’t do well.
My AP1 is pretty rock-solid. I haven't seen much at all in the way of improvement since they added the radar road bounce routines to see cars beyond the one directly in front of you.

I'm more worried that one of the changes they make to enhance the newer cars will introduce a bug into a critical system (like AP1) in the older cars that will destabilize otherwise very dependable behavior and create a very dangerous issue. The software team certainly doesn't seem to look for impacts to older cars at this point...

2020.12.11.5 fixes USB on AP1

View attachment 539675

Fixes it how?
Yes, I can play songs from the USB. (My car had not lost that ability, to the best of my knowledge, although I do not use the USB often so it is possible there was a period when it did not work and I missed it.)
But I installed 2020.12.11.5 today and tried playing music. It plays, but it still has the error of how it indexes albums -- several of my albums have a separate listing for each song, meaning that plays only that one song and not the entire album when i select it.
I know this behavior has been a problem off and on for years, but i have lost track of how the player is indexing albums these days. If I knew, I could possibly edit the metadata in a way to eliminate the problem. Anyone recall a solution for how the current player configuration indexes albums?

Fixes it how?
Yes, I can play songs from the USB. (My car had not lost that ability, to the best of my knowledge, although I do not use the USB often so it is possible there was a period when it did not work and I missed it.)
But I installed 2020.12.11.5 today and tried playing music. It plays, but it still has the error of how it indexes albums -- several of my albums have a separate listing for each song, meaning that plays only that one song and not the entire album when i select it.
I know this behavior has been a problem off and on for years, but i have lost track of how the player is indexing albums these days. If I knew, I could possibly edit the metadata in a way to eliminate the problem. Anyone recall a solution for how the current player configuration indexes albums?
Make sure the Album name and Album Artist (or Artist if Album Artist is blank) match for all the songs in the album. Then it should appear as an album.

• Helpful
Fixes it how?
What broke in 2020.12.5 was the ability to see the USB drive at all. There was no way to play anything on it. The USB button was gone from the source selection. 2020.12.5 fixed that. But the broken handling of tags for compilation albums has been there for years - no change. IIRC, you can navigate by folders and select the folder containing the album as a workaround. That assumes you have your music organized in a manner that makes work.

Make sure the Album name and Album Artist (or Artist if Album Artist is blank) match for all the songs in the album. Then it should appear as an album.
But how do you handle a compilation album, like a soundtrack, that has multiple artists? The (broken) player software has always treated that as multiple, single song albums. The right way is to ignore artist completely, and look at album name only.

• Informative
What broke in 2020.12.5 was the ability to see the USB drive at all. There was no way to play anything on it. The USB button was gone from the source selection. 2020.12.5 fixed that. But the broken handling of tags for compilation albums has been there for years - no change. IIRC, you can navigate by folders and select the folder containing the album as a workaround. That assumes you have your music organized in a manner that makes work.

But how do you handle a compilation album, like a soundtrack, that has multiple artists? The (broken) player software has always treated that as multiple, single song albums. The right way is to ignore artist completely, and look at album name only.

Thanks!

MP3 tags have a field for that called Album artist which is separate from Artist. Unfortunately the Tesla player ignores Album artist.

I just put each of my albums in separate folders. To ensure correct sequence playback (important for soundtracks), I added the track number to the front of the title of each track. That wasn't hard - I found software that allowed me to manipulate the track name and very easily add the track number. In folder view, everything is in order. That's usually how I play music, though sometimes I set the player to play random tracks.

I know this is an older thread but I just noticed after my last software update (now on 2020.36.3.1) that my USB stick shows zero files on it.
If I look at it on the PC all my music is there, but the MCU for some reason thinks it is blank.
I've tired both USB ports, two finger reboot etc. The same memory stick has been working just fine for years, this all started with the 2020.36.3.1 update, does anyone else with an MCU1 on a similar software release have this problem?