Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am finding all these Californian's sounding like anyone out here actually considers the "Fast lane" a "passing lane" (in CA specifically) humorous. There is no such thing here in CA as "keep right except to pass" even though people are supposed to do that.

At least, I have never, ever, in my entire time of driving here in southern california (or less frequently when on business trips to Nor cal and renting a car) seen a Freeway here with cars on it, with the number 1 lane (which would be the passing lane) not occupied by cars while other lanes are.

Behavior of this feature aside, people in CA just use all lanes, and its not just "a few" its just about everyone.

EDIT: So that my post remains on topic to the thread....

"Just got notified of update for my car, downloading now!!!"
:D

EDIT 2: I am fully aware that in other places, this is actually a thing that people do effectively. Its just not done by many people at all here in CA.

Last edited:
I am finding all these Californian's sounding like anyone out here actually considers the "Fast lane" a "passing lane" (in CA specifically) humorous. There is no such thing here in CA as "keep right except to pass" even though people are supposed to do that.
Oh there's not?
Law section
ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664]
( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

Oh there's not?
Law section
ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664]
( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

I didnt say there wasnt a law. In fact, I said (which you quoted) "even though people are supposed to do that". They dont. Not "a few dont"... hardly anyone does. In fact most CA drivers likely have zero idea of anything called a "passing lane" as the name for the "passing" lane in CA is the "Fast" lane, and has been my entire life here in CA.

I didnt say there wasnt a law. In fact, I said (which you quoted) "even though people are supposed to do that". They dont. Not "a few dont"... hardly anyone does. In fact most CA drivers likely have zero idea of anything called a "passing lane" as the name for the "passing" lane in CA is the "Fast" lane, and has been my entire life here in CA.

In california, every lane is the passing lane :D

• Funny
Reactions: eousphoros
We got this last week in UK - it gave us the traffic light and stop sign control and green light chime. Speed sign recognition came a couple of days before with 2020.36.3.1

I have yet to hear green light chime even though its enabled. Likewise, car does not respond to speed signs although it does for other UK users even on 'local roads'. So I am a bit confused why those features don't work for me but they do for some others. FSD on HW3.

At least, I have never, ever, in my entire time of driving here in southern california (or less frequently when on business trips to Nor cal and renting a car) seen a Freeway here with cars on it, with the number 1 lane (which would be the passing lane) not occupied by cars while other lanes are.

Behavior of this feature aside, people in CA just use all lanes, and its not just "a few" its just about everyone.

EDIT: So that my post remains on topic to the thread....

"Just got notified of update for my car, downloading now!!!"
:D

EDIT 2: I am fully aware that in other places, this is actually a thing that people do effectively. Its just not done by many people at all here in CA.

Places with lots of traffic don't have "passing lanes", LA, NYC metro area, Toronto, etc, etc. I think that's fine if you really are faster than the traffic to your right and if no one id coming behind you going faster than you.

The AI in the Tesla should allow staying in the "fast lane" only if there are no cars behind you and the traffic to the right lane is not much slower than you.

Places with lots of traffic don't have "passing lanes", LA, NYC metro area, Toronto, etc, etc. I think that's fine if you really are faster than the traffic to your right and if no one id coming behind you going faster than you.

The AI in the Tesla should allow staying in the "fast lane" only if there are no cars behind you and the traffic to the right lane is not much slower than you.

I consider most highways that are 3+ lanes as not having a "passing lane". The far left is generally just for faster traffic and no one uses it solely for passing. At least growing up in Atlanta that is how it has always been.