Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.1 incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then the other adult passengers should care (& hence be fined) too
They don't decide whether to start driving before everyone is buckled up, but the driver does (over here it's an infraction of the traffic code to drive onto a public road if someone is not buckled up, and that's a decision the driver makes). That decision is not something the other passengers can make.

Of course the other passengers should care, but they are not responsible in a legal sense. The driver is.

My Raven X started downloading this early in the evening. But it looked stuck in “downloading state”. I had to take the car for a short road trip tonight and I figured it would just pickup where it left off or start over when I get back (which may be a good thing). It started to download, stopped and now it says “connect to WiFi for the software update (which I’ve seen come up numerous times with many versions). It’s on Solid WiFi and I even ran SpeedTest.net and I could see it was Verizon FIOS instead of AT&T that the car uses. Model X apparently does not have a shutdown menu like Model 3. I’ve tried reboots and my phone hotspot. Still stuck.

Is the only way out Tesla service or wait for the next update.

Just a follow up. It straightened itself out overnight and was ready to install this morning and went smooth.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Can anyone comment if ping ponging has been fixed, especially if you have HW2 or HW2.5 (I have read that HW3 wasn't really affected). The ping ponging has been so bad since 2019.40.50.7 that I have not been able to use AP at all. Hoping it's been fixed with this update.

Just for the record I used to have Ping Pong on HW3 (Raven X) when I first got the car in October. But I can't recall the last time it did the ping pong thing. Did 60 miles on AP last night on 2019.40.50.7 and it was great. Have not had 2020.4.1 on the highway yet (just installed this morning).

Not sure if it's HW3, car doing some learning or what because the experiences on this issue seem rather random.

Good luck with the next update, but don't assume it's just HW or just software.

Just for the record I used to have Ping Pong on HW3 (Raven X) when I first got the car in October. But I can't recall the last time it did the ping pong thing. Did 60 miles on AP last night on 2019.40.50.7 and it was great. Have not had 2020.4.1 on the highway yet (just installed this morning).

Not sure if it's HW3, car doing some learning or what because the experiences on this issue seem rather random.

After reading a lot of discussion on the topic both here and on reddit, the 2019.40.50 update specifically seems to have broken AP for HW2 and HW2.5. Your experience in October with HW3 must have been something else. It seems like Tesla is running two different versions of AP depending on the hardware.

Yes, I was thinking similar thoughts. It's been a long time and many software versions since I experienced any type of ping-pong driving. Clearly other people see it, so I am baffled as to why I don't. 2017 X AP 2

How does this work? Mine won't activate unless I have road lines. There is one street where the lines start then disappear, and there it seeks the right curb. One time it seemed like it was going to rear end a parked car as if to follow it.

I have some usual spots where I test.

Where there is a road with lane lines, that I activate on, and then continues without lane lines...... to a residential roads with no markings and tight curves. For a long time now... on these roads it would drive around parked cars and on coming cars it would negotiate too. And then alert once it gets to stop sign...

In this update it seems to do better when the unmarked residential road makes a 90 degree turn and it follows it quite well

Yes, I was thinking similar thoughts. It's been a long time and many software versions since I experienced any type of ping-pong driving. Clearly other people see it, so I am baffled as to why I don't. 2017 X AP 2

I think the car use ping-pong to calibrate the AP after large SW updates or when your car is new. So those are the circumstances I have ping-pong in.

Why it does it a lot for some cars I do not know. Perhaps some sensor issue stops it from completing the calibration so it starts new every trip?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Definitely road dependent. I only get the sudden braking when someone turns in front of me... all delayed and slow to recover, but better than earlier versions. But this isn't the same as phantom braking.

Both that and phantom braking seem to be caused by the car guessing incorrectly about whether another vehicle or structure is going to block your lane. So it's a different triggering condition, but I suspect that it is the same root cause (orders of magnitude too much latency in deciding what to do, coupled with trouble recognizing what path your lane follows).

I was just like you as well, but now get a decent amount of ping ponging. Occurs in a very subtle way without cars around in a very regular back and forth beat. With big trucks and especially at night NOA becomes unusable as the car makes drastic ping pongs in a delayed fashion after cars pass by.

This all started with a couple updates prior (although I’ve been stuck in the past since I have MCU1). Now I’m a believer in the ping ponging and get to eat my shoe, before I thought people were being overly sensitive...

I think the ping-ponging you guys are experiencing are the slight nudges AP has been doing lately to move away when passing or being passed by a large vehicle in another lane.
You could be right about that since I see a "subtle" movement of the car in those situations. Yet it sounds like what people are talking about here is more sudden movements when no vehicles are in an adjacent lane.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Since the last update in December, my HW3 MS keeps giving camera blinded errors while driving in the rain or at night, never had this before. But it seems very sensitive now and will go away typically after 10-15 minutes. I was hoping this latest update would fix this, but it's still happening. Anyone else keep getting those errors?

Hi Firstsnow,

I used to get many "blind spot detection limited" errors...
Tesla looked at the logs and the camera was failing...
It still failed after the camera replacement and they found massive
wire harness damage by rodents.
They replaced the harness and all is good now.

You may want to check with service to see if there are many camera errors in the logs.

A test you might make too is to look at Tesla Cam movie files to see what the
recordings look like.
If the rain is really bad the water will puddle over the repeater cameras and give the
errors that you mention. There is nothing that can be done in this case...

Shawn