Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my MCU1 car, the gradual lowering of audio volume when BT streaming music from my phone has been fixed now with the latest update. :)

I will test the scheduled departure for tomorrow morning to see if regen has been changed. Will have it plugged in and charging for at least 6 hours tonight.

No. Just sat outside all night no charging. Until I am set up to give battery temperature, this is the only definite state I can quote with some validity.

Having driven more with the update, I'm not convinced of any significant change. I thought at first that regen came back a little sooner, but then on long gradual decent I noticed regen limitting increasing while driving just as before.

After 2 hours charging at around 22mph regen limit had completely gone which did seem different from previously, but all rather subjective.
Agree with this, same here little change from before.

(Also question to @MarcusMaximus)

Interesting indeed.
Seat heaters: I'm able to turn them all on or both in front or only all rear ones. But no way to turn only mine. I tried to designate a seat by left or right, or using "my" or the passenger: text display is correct but is interpreted as "all in front" or all in the back.
Well actually there is a way to simply turn on your seat. You just used the wrong terms. Try "Turn on DRIVER seat heater". Or "Turn off driver seat heater." Other things like "Turn on ALL seat heaters" (or off).

And as long as we are talking about heat..... for those people that have the fancy steering wheel heater, I know from looking at data that you can say "Turn on steering wheel heater". You will see a message something to the effect of it not recognizing the command or can't execute it. I don't remember exactly what it states as its been a week since I reviewed it, and I can't test it in my car. HOWEVER, it will still turn on or off the steering wheel heat even though it might state it can't do it :D Nice QA Tesla :rolleyes: There are lots of commands that Tesla didn't even state in the release notes. Experiment. You will be surprised.

edit: experiment with things like "fold mirrors" or "open mirrors", or "set windshield wipers to level 2". I just sometimes wish there were a command for "eject annoying passenger" :eek:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Well actually there is a way to simply turn on your seat. You just used the wrong terms. Try "Turn on DRIVER seat heater". Or "Turn off driver seat heater." Other things like "Turn on ALL seat heaters" (or off).

And as long as we are talking about heat..... for those people that have the fancy steering wheel heater, I know from looking at data that you can say "Turn on steering wheel heater". You will see a message something to the effect of it not recognizing the command or can't execute it. I don't remember exactly what it states as its been a week since I reviewed it, and I can't test it in my car. HOWEVER, it will still turn on or off the steering wheel heat even though it might state it can't do it :D Nice QA Tesla :rolleyes: There are lots of commands that Tesla didn't even state in the release notes. Experiment. You will be surprised.
Funny you mention that because, after the "driver's seat level 1" command the very next thing I tried was the heated steering wheel. I got the error and was bummed as that one is a few clicks away versus the front driver's heat which is right on the bottom of the screen making the steering wheel one more useful IMO. I was also able to change the temp to a specific number and it was pretty quick to react even though it seems slower now to process your voice commands than it was previously.

Funny you mention that because, after the "driver's seat level 1" command the very next thing I tried was the heated steering wheel. I got the error and was bummed as that one is a few clicks away versus the front driver's heat which is right on the bottom of the screen making the steering wheel one more useful IMO. I was also able to change the temp to a specific number and it was pretty quick to react even though it seems slower now to process your voice commands than it was previously.
I got the same error when I asked the car to turn on the steering wheel heater, but I didn't check to see whether it comes on or not. Will check it tomorrow.

Its strange, but now it seems faster for me to process the command in the sense that as soon as I press the button, it responds much quicker for me to speak than it used to before. Weird

Speaking of speed to recognize voice commands... has anyone realized what I consider to be a large fundamental change?

In past firmware versions you could click the button on the steering wheel, speak a command and then click the button again so that it would stop listening at that moment and it would still take several seconds to process what you just said but it would capture speech between the two button clicks properly.

Now, if I click to activate, speak and then click again it stops processing the speech at the point I clicked the button a 2nd time rather than capture everything I said.

What this means is that previously I would do this:

*Click* "Play Luke Bryan" *Click*

Even though I clicked that second click about the time it displayed "play" on the display it would show "Luke Bryan" a few seconds later and carry out this command w/o issue.

Now, when I do the same thing it would basically stop processing the command as I clicked the 2nd time and all it would get is "play" and error out as it's not a complete command without the remaining information.

I'm sure lots of people reading are in the habit if simply clicking once, saying the command and then just remaining silent until it times out and then processes what you say so this won't apply. If you have others in the car I much prefer the double click bookend method though and it's changed since I started using it a few firmware versions ago.

Anyone else experience this with 2020.4?

I got into the habit of waiting till I could see all my command in text before I clicked to end since I got my car 7 months ago. I tested it yesterday to turn on the seat heater for the passenger side and I waited till I saw my command in text and then clicked the button and it worked perfectly fine.

I haven't tried it by clicking the second time before I saw my command in text.

I got into the habit of waiting till I could see all my command in text before I clicked to end since I got my car 7 months ago. I tested it yesterday to turn on the seat heater for the passenger side and I waited till I saw my command in text and then clicked the button and it worked perfectly fine.

I haven't tried it by clicking the second time before I saw my command in text.

Since you've always done it that way you likely wouldn't have noticed the same change I did. It may be more of a function of updating and using for the first time with maybe things going on in the background but I doubt that's the case.

When I did it previously I would often times be demonstrating it to someone who had never been in a Tesla. I could click, say the command and click again right when I finished saying the command so I could go back to explaining the entire process while it sorted the command and executed it. So it would often go something like:

Me: "It has free unlimited music streaming for life so I can simply say something like"
*click button*
Me: "Play Luke Bryan"
*click button*
Me: "and within a few seconds Luke Bryan is playing."
(said while screen visually displaying the command and then executing)
*Luke Bryan song starts up in background*
Them: "Wow, that's super cool!"

This was a pretty seamless process and enabled me to cover up the awkward silence that lasted several seconds otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Speaking of speed to recognize voice commands... has anyone realized what I consider to be a large fundamental change?

In past firmware versions you could click the button on the steering wheel, speak a command and then click the button again so that it would stop listening at that moment and it would still take several seconds to process what you just said but it would capture speech between the two button clicks properly.

Now, if I click to activate, speak and then click again it stops processing the speech at the point I clicked the button a 2nd time rather than capture everything I said.

Even though I clicked that second click about the time it displayed "play" on the display it would show "Luke Bryan" a few seconds later and carry out this command w/o issue.

Now, when I do the same thing it would basically stop processing the command as I clicked the 2nd time and all it would get is "play" and error out as it's not a complete command without the remaining information.

I'm sure lots of people reading are in the habit if simply clicking once, saying the command and then just remaining silent until it times out and then processes what you say so this won't apply. If you have others in the car I much prefer the double click bookend method though and it's changed since I started using it a few firmware versions ago.

Since you've always done it that way you likely wouldn't have noticed the same change I did. It may be more of a function of updating and using for the first time with maybe things going on in the background but I doubt that's the case.

When I did it previously I would often times be demonstrating it to someone who had never been in a Tesla. I could click, say the command and click again right when I finished saying the command so I could go back to explaining the entire process while it sorted the command and executed it. So it would often go something like:

Me: "It has free unlimited music streaming for life so I can simply say something like"
*click button*
Me: "Play Luke Bryan"
*click button*
Me: "and within a few seconds Luke Bryan is playing."
(said while screen visually displaying the command and then executing)
*Luke Bryan song starts up in background*
Them: "Wow, that's super cool!"

This was a pretty seamless process and enabled me to cover up the awkward silence that lasted several seconds otherwise.
Thank you!

You exactly described it the way I used to use it and it was brilliant: indeed the second click confirmed you were done and it stopped recording.
This neat feature made it less awkward to use the voice when not alone in the car. Now, it’s almost useless as you need others to keep silent until it has figured out what you asked.
Another regression. o_O

Hopefully Tesla correct this soon.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Thank you!

You exactly described it the way I used to use it and it was brilliant: indeed the second click confirmed you were done and it stopped recording.
This neat feature made it less awkward to use the voice when not alone in the car. Now, it’s almost useless as you need others to keep silent until it has figured out what you asked.
Another regression. o_O

Hopefully Tesla correct this soon.

Okay, so I'm not losing my mind then. Good to know. lol

• Funny
Reactions: AustinP
I'm unlucky this time; download is stuck at 92% and no amount of reset will make it progress.

I have an SC appointment scheduled for Monday morning (not related to this update, it was set up before the update was released) and will see if they can force a re-download or something.

Sorry I should have specified that I have already tried any possible trick!
resetting trips, deleting old destinations, excluding traffic, disabling data sharing, setting map to image instead of vector, covering screen with sketchpad app, soft resetting, hard resetting, etc.etc. but the browser is still refusing to work.
This is one of the issue that prompted me to set up an appointment at SC.

I had the same issue - got stuck at 28% downloading - i finally had a chat with support and they reset it for me. Issue I ran in to which caused it to get stuck was wifi disconnected during download. Chat support guy was great and reset it for me after troubleshooting the issue with me. Before the chat I tried all kinds of usual tricks of mcu reboots, etc. but that didn't help.

Click the BT icon in top corner and enable the messaging option then follow the instructions to enable the messaging in your iPhone BT settings.

Wouldn't let me enable the "sync Messages" setting for my Android phone. I checked the connection settings on my phone and I didn't have any settings to allow syncing of messages over BT. So deleted my BT connection from both the car and the phone and set it up again and I got a new option on phone settings for the connection with the car to allow message syncing anf then the new messages tab appeared in the car after I enabled it in both the car and the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus

I've had this same exact experience. In fact, I was at service center dropping off my car this AM. Was in car troubleshooting the voice commands. Service advisor didn't seem to know the proper method. He advised I "click" -- "state command" -- "click again." That didn't work. Experienced errors like you suggested.

What seems to work best is "click" -- "state command" -- "wait for response." So, only one click to initiate the voice command. We had the greatest success with that method, but far from perfect. Why hasn't Tesla explicitly documented how to use the button?

I prefer the older method (I had with my 2015 Model S) where you click and hold during giving a voice command and release button when done talking.

Tesla uses AT&T for its connection. So if AT&T has poor service in your area, you’re going to have issues. Another note on this is: make sure you’re disconnected from Wifi when you try to use voice commands. I’ve found it’ll stay connected to WiFi even when driving away, but won’t be able to actually do anything with it.

I suspect your issues are at least almost entirely due to connection issues. I’ve found Tesla’s system to be, by far, the best car hands-free system I’ve ever seen/used. It doesn’t match the utility of Google Home/Alexa but, even with those, I’ve found Tesla’s recognition engine to be (shockingly) superior, within the bounds of the commands it can do.​

Ahh-- I don't know why, but I thought Tesla used Verizon. That certainly explains the big connection strength difference between my phone and the car. One odd thing is that when I first bought the car 1.5 years ago, I did not have connection issues. Assuming that the signal strength hasn't changed and may have been weak, would more Teslas (Model 3 release) plus a weak connection cause increased problems ? Also I suppose its possible that my receiver is faulty ?