Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 Deliveries - did anyone still get HW2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As there have been a few reports of people receiving HW2.5 from other markets (More Canadian Tesla Buyers Report Receiving HW 2.5 Instead Of HW 3.0 and Tesla Blames Coronavirus For Model 3 Units In China With HW 2.5) and an anecdotal report on this forum (Free FSD on some inventory models). I was wondering if anyone who has recently taken delivery can confirm if they received HW2.5 or HW3.

You can check this in Settings, Software, Vehicle Information, under the VIN you'll see "Additional Vehicle Information" and if the second line says "Full self driving computer" that's HW3, "2.5 Computer" is HW2.5

Whilst this isn't actually a problem for anyone today, if you have (or later buy) FSD you'll get the upgrade anyway.

There is a possibility that further improvements to autopilot lead to degraded performance or don't have full feature parity between HW2.5 and HW3. It may not ever be a problem, but I'm just interested to see.

I had a conversation with someone about 2 weeks ago who claimed his brother in law had just collected a new M3 in the UK and it had HW2.5.
This is entirely anecdotal i don't really know the guy and have never met the Brother in law but he seemed to know what he was talking about and it's an odd thing to make up so that's a definite maybe.

FSD h/w on mine 702xxx

I suppose the VIN makes more sense if we also know when the cars were delivered. I'm assuming that these late numbers (700+) here were the cars only delivered most recently? If so it's looking like the "fear" of HW2.5 might turn out to be unfounded ... let's hope so. We already know that all the earlier M3s delivered to the UK were HW3 (FSD computer).

I had a conversation with someone about 2 weeks ago who claimed his brother in law had just collected a new M3 in the UK and it had HW2.5.
This is entirely anecdotal i don't really know the guy and have never met the Brother in law but he seemed to know what he was talking about and it's an odd thing to make up so that's a definite maybe.

I wonder if they were using the old method of checking the type of the files written to the SD card, which hasn't been correct for ages but left a lot of people thinking they had HW2.5 when they didn't.

I wonder if they were using the old method of checking the type of the files written to the SD card, which hasn't been correct for ages but left a lot of people thinking they had HW2.5 when they didn't.
Could be. that level of detail was never discussed.
I guess there is always the fool proof method of putting anything vaguely cylindrical or cone shaped and somewhere between yellow and red anywhere near the car and seeing if it thinks its a traffic cone :)