Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Q4 collections: vehicle faults and snags.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

15Peter20

Supporting Member
Oct 26, 2020
Norfolk
As the refresh models begin to be collected I wonder if the new owners wouldn’t mind sharing with us owners-to-be any snags, issues etc you encounter.

The idea being that any common faults, especially new hard to spot ones will be identified helping us make our personal PDI experience a bit easier and more thorough, particularly as daylight is in short supply for the near future.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Zakalwe
That's a recipe for misery.
It only hurts if you see the flaws i.e. ignorance is bliss.

New cars shouldn't be delivered with things like the side cameras not working.

Or brake fluid needing topping up - thats a recipe for misery.

Unsubstantiated info says that RHD vehicles have brake hydraulic systems requiring more fluid, but on early vehicles, they only filled them with the quantity needed for LHD vehicles. :eek:

New Model 3 brake issue

Last edited:
I found bits of sticky labels left on internal plastic trim between the front seats, but they came off easily. Probably worth checking they don't disguise anything.

In the frunk is a rectangle red Tesla bag containing a first aid kit, high vis vest and warning triangle. That wasn't on the checklist I used.

I wish I had taken a microfibre cloth with me, as there were a few blobs of car wax I wanted to make sure wasn't discolouration of the paint.

If you think all car companies deliver perfectly don't read the ID.3 forums (mostly in German). Guess what they are complaining about ? Incomplete software, paint issues, panel gaps, broken lights, missing key components (something to do with suspension - the translation isn't too good, but serious enough to spark a recall), 12V batteries dying ....

Reactions: CMc1
My list of snags on a LR:
  1. Drivers side mirror doesn’t adjust far enough out, I.e I can’t see enough of the road vs the car. I don’t think it’s user error ;)
  2. Charge port won’t open externally
  3. Left camera not working
  4. Range not displaying the epa rating as per the instruction manual.
Was originally booked on on the 16th December at Leeds, but they’re unlikely to have the parts by then. A ranger is coming on the 24th now, let’s see what they can and cannot sort :)

All good apart from that :)

I had a couple of scratches and marks, but the main issue is the driver assistance features all turned off losing Traction Control, Stability Control, Regen, hill hold etc.

Hoping to have car towed to service centre for repairs this week...

Drivers side mirror doesn’t adjust far enough out, I.e I can’t see enough of the road vs the car. I don’t think it’s user error ;)

Thats a design issue unfortunately.

Charge port won’t open externally

What do you mean by that exactly? When trying to press the charge flap bottom edge to get it to open or when using the Tesla button on a TWC or Supercharger? You need to make sure that the car is fully awake if that helps.

Range not displaying the epa rating as per the instruction manual.

Do update everyone what they have to say about that please.

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and the driver's side mirror doesn't go out far enough. I'd just assumed it was due to my seat position.

6 foot. Could just be me, but i can’t seem to adjust it enough outwards. I was always taught (a mere 24 years ago) that the mirror should be adjusted so that you see a tiny amount of the car and the majority of the road. I’ve had no problem in any other car. I’ll see if a slightly shorter person had an issue :)

Thats a design issue unfortunately.

What do you mean by that exactly? When trying to press the charge flap bottom edge to get it to open or when using the Tesla button on a TWC or Supercharger? You need to make sure that the car is fully awake if that helps.

Do update everyone what they have to say about that please.

The scenario with the charge flap is that I exit the vehicle (after a drive) and go to open the flap, it won’t open with a press. Fine with the app or via a screen. Haven’t tried a Tesla charger as yet :)

I’m being a bit cheeky with the range question...but the manual does say that it should show the epa rating regardless of external factors and driver behaviour. The epa is 353. There’s an epic thread on the battery section around unlocked capacity and different LG vs Panasonic batteries being supplied in Europe. My guess is that an imminent software update will make the fictional epa range appear :)

6 foot. Could just be me, but i can’t seem to adjust it enough outwards. I was always taught (a mere 24 years ago) that the mirror should be adjusted so that you see a tiny amount of the car and the majority of the road. I’ve had no problem in any other car. I’ll see if a slightly shorter person had an issue :)
If you want to consider an aftermarket solution to the narrow field of view, I did a write up here:

Wide Angle + Anti Glare Wingmirror Glass Upgrade

Reactions: LukeUK
The scenario with the charge flap is that I exit the vehicle (after a drive) and go to open the flap, it won’t open with a press. Fine with the app or via a screen. Haven’t tried a Tesla charger as yet :)

Give it another go. Its not intuitive and gives little feedback. I couldn't tell you exactly where to press (its not a common need for us as we have the Tesla button) but it sometimes takes a couple of tries to get the right spot o_O

The UMC has the Tesla button too, so that should open it if you don't have easy access to something else to test.