Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been asked about accidents to car carriers. Not surprisingly, with hundreds of these vessels constantly in use globally, accidents will happen.
In any ship, stability is crucial but with a cargo ship like a car carrier meticulous attention has to be paid to both loading and unloading and also the securing of the cargo to ensure the centre of gravity remain within clearly defined limits. These limits in conjunction with the ships centre of bouyancy and its metacentric height determine its stability. Consequently these vessels have complex water ballast systems to assist in trimming the vessel.

When things go wrong however, they tend to quickly go wrong.

Here is a link to my post from earlier this year on the GOLDEN RAY accident from Sep 19.
My list (which is not comprehensive) is as follows:

Mar 19 GRANDE AMERICA
Jan 16 MODERN EXPRESS
Jan 15 HOEGH OSAKA
Dec 12 BALTIC ACE
Jul 06 COUGAR ACE
Dec 02 TRICOLOR

If you plonk those names into any search engine you should find an interesting read.

Teslas are much heavier than your average car and as a consequence the ships carry a lesser quantity of vehicles in comparison.

GRAND VENUS continues to make excellent progress.
She is maintaining just over 17 kts and by my calculations she has 2598nm to go.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on the morning of 18th, a week today, and so she is slightly ahead of schedule. This is no bad thing and gives an allowance for bad weather or slowing to pick up pilots etc.
I expect GRAND VENUS to pick up a European pilot off Brixham on the afternoon of Wed 17th.

GV Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND VENUS continues to make excellent progress.
She is maintaining just over 17 kts and by my calculations she has 2598nm to go.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on the morning of 18th, a week today, and so she is slightly ahead of schedule. This is no bad thing and gives an allowance for bad weather or slowing to pick up pilots etc.
I expect GRAND VENUS to pick up a European pilot off Brixham on the afternoon of Wed 17th.

View attachment 550434

I need to ask.... how are you so savvy with all this?!

I need to ask.... how are you so savvy with all this?!

A misspent youth mucking around in boats in the Caribbean, numerous transatlantic passages, the delights of the Baltic, being scared in the North Sea and then quitting life on the ocean wave for aviation on the basis that its easier and better paid!
Additionally I spent last summer investigating where the hell my Tesla was and when was it likely to be delivered when it was clear that the Tesla 'estimated delivery date' was completed tosh.
Since then I have followed every Tesla ship to EU, GRAND VENUS is the 23rd for me.
People allegedly 'in the know' have started sending me tips too. Which is nice.

Hi, I am Daniele from Italy.
I recived an ufficial e-mail from tesla (Hoogoorddreef 62, 1101 NL Amsterdam) that confirmed my model 3 is on bord on Silver Ray and it'll arrive at Zeebrugge on 17th June.
They'll deliver me the car in italy on 24th June.
Bye
Have a good day

Thank you, that is interesting and a surprise to me.
Tesla have used Philadelphia in the past to send cars to Europe but at the moment I can't see that SILVER RAY has called there recently.
Could Tesla have decided to transport their stock of completed EU cars across the country to another east coast port?
I haven't seen any reports of that but then again if all the cars were LHD it may not have seemed unusual.
The only reason for Tesla to do this would be because they couldn't ship enough from Pier 80 to arrive in time to be delivered by the end of the quarter. Did the curfews, disorder and the consequent loading delays to ASIAN GLORY spark a decision to transport by road to the east coast?
Was the GLOVIS SUN cancelled at the last minute?

The SILVER RAY is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 June and not 17 June.
GRAND VENUS is scheduled for 18 June but could make 17 June at the moment.
SILVER RAY is probably going to be used by Tesla to deliver to Norway and probably Germany too.

We shall see...

Reactions: Roy W. and MGrove
Hi, I am Daniele from Italy.
I recived an ufficial e-mail from tesla (Hoogoorddreef 62, 1101 NL Amsterdam) that confirmed my model 3 is on bord on Silver Ray and it'll arrive at Zeebrugge on 17th June.
They'll deliver me the car in italy on 24th June.
Bye
Have a good day
That does seem unusual.
But then again, this has been nothing but an unusual quarter in concerns to shipping Tesla cars internationally.
Very low numbers to APAC and Europe, and a ship that's already arrived in the Bay Area with a current ETA at the start of July.

Using New York and not Philadelphia, which has a Hyundai pier, seems strange to me.
When we saw shipment of cars ship out of Philadelphia, we saw pictures and had sources tell us that a shipment Euro spec cars were moving across the US. Nothing this time around.
It will be interesting to get info about the ship's content when it arrives in Zeebrugge. The arrival location in Zeebrugge should give us some indications as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Miserable
That does seem unusual.
But then again, this has been nothing but an unusual quarter in concerns to shipping Tesla cars internationally.
Very low numbers to APAC and Europe, and a ship that's already arrived in the Bay Area with a current ETA at the start of July.

Using New York and not Philadelphia, which has a Hyundai pier, seems strange to me.
When we saw shipment of cars ship out of Philadelphia, we saw pictures and had sources tell us that a shipment Euro spec cars were moving across the US. Nothing this time around.
It will be interesting to get info about the ship's content when it arrives in Zeebrugge. The arrival location in Zeebrugge should gives some indications as well.
Sorry 15th june...

this is official mail:

"

cleardot.gif

Ciao Daniele,

Si', trova attualmente sulla nave Silver Ray 018.
A questo link puoi anche vedere in tempo reale dove si trova!

[email protected]

The content of this message is the proprietary and confidential property of Tesla Inc., and should be treated as such. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your computer system and notify me immediately by reply e-mail. Any unauthorized use or distribution of the content of this message is prohibited. Thank you.

Please consider the environment before printing this email."

When you look at the track of GRAND VENUS on my progress chart it would appear that it is off course and will miss the English Channel. Frankly I'm surprised that nobody has said anything - you are all much too polite!

Sometimes the shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line - it all depends on the map projection.

The chart I have drawn my line on is a Mercator projection chart and straight lines on this chart produce what is known as a rhumb line.

If I had drawn a straight line on a chart that takes in to account the curvature of the earth, a spherical projection, the line drawn would be (part of) a great circle. The difference between the two lines in terms of distance can be huge but in this case is about 120km (following the rhumb line would incur an extra 120km of travel). If you are travelling long distances it is always better to start off with the great circle track and then tweak your route to the conditions (eg wind, currents, and other factors). The GRAND VENUS is following a great circle course which will appear as a curved line on my chart.

I will leave my rhumb line as is for GRAND VENUS but for the next ship I'll try to plot a rough great circle course on the mercator.

Whatever, sorry for the bodged chart but I will strive to make a (much) more accurate chart next month.

Promises, promises....

GV Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND VENUS continues to race towards Zeebrugge.
At the moment she is doing no less than 18.7 kts and with 2253nm left to go she could make it to Zeebrugge, at that rate, by the afternoon of the 17th. How likely is that? At the moment it's too early to say but she has certainly got some time in hand.

this is an offcial's Tesla mail

"

cleardot.gif

Ciao Daniele,

Si', trova attualmente sulla nave Silver Ray 018.
A questo link puoi anche vedere in tempo reale dove si trova!

The content of this message is the proprietary and confidential property of Tesla Inc., and should be treated as such. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your computer system and notify me immediately by reply e-mail. Any unauthorized use or distribution of the content of this message is prohibited. Thank you.

Please consider the environment before printing this email."

Reactions: MGrove