Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been told my Tesla is due in the UK middle of June but they couldn’t tell me the boat name for some reason... I have the vin number so it there a way to tell what boat it’s on?
Most of the time the Tesla folk haven’t got a clue, about which boat a car is on and many other things. For a software-led company their car tracking in transit is very poor.

If you’ve got your VIN just sit tight, pay for the car when requested, and it will come when it’s ready. There are supposed to be a large number of cars in transit, so I’m crossing my fingers for you...

I’ve been told my Tesla is due in the UK middle of June but they couldn’t tell me the boat name for some reason... I have the vin number so it there a way to tell what boat it’s on?
It is most likely to be GRAND VENUS. She is due in to Zeebrugge on 18th (but 17th is possible). She is then due to arrive in Southampton.
If RHD cars had been shipped from Fremont to the east coast to be loaded on to SILVER RAY I am sure it would have been reported on somewhere along the line.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Most of the time the Tesla folk haven’t got a clue, about which boat a car is on and many other things. For a software-led company their car tracking in transit is very poor.

If you’ve got your VIN just sit tight, pay for the car when requested, and it will come when it’s ready. There are supposed to be a large number of cars in transit, so I’m crossing my fingers for you...

thanks for the quick reply. I ordered a model 3 from Existing inventory thinking it was already here and would be quick but I guess it doesn’t work like that with Tesla. I had the vin as soon as I ordered mid May. Just wish when I brought it they mentioned it was on a boat so I understood what the process would be. Happy to wait though for my dream car

Reactions: Roy W.
It is most likely to be GRAND VENUS. She is due in to Zeebrugge on 18th (but 17th is possible). She is then due to arrive in Southampton.
If RHD cars had been shipped from Fremont to the east coast to be loaded on to SILVER RAY I am sure it would have been reported on somewhere along the line.

The GRAND VENUS, cool. It would be nice to know the name of the boat is sailed over on. Thanks for replying

thanks for the quick reply. I ordered a model 3 from Existing inventory thinking it was already here and would be quick but I guess it doesn’t work like that with Tesla. I had the vin as soon as I ordered mid May. Just wish when I brought it they mentioned it was on a boat so I understood what the process would be. Happy to wait though for my dream car
As it was inventory stock it may already have been in the U.K. There were reports of quite a few cars being stored at Southampton, so your car could be one of them.

What spec/colour have you ordered, and where are you collecting from?

I'm taking delivery on 24th June (to home address). Blue LR AWD with Zen. I received confirmation of this on 6th June. Is it likely this is on Grand Venus? I can see there are a few blue LR models listed as "new inventory". They wouldn't just assign one of those, would they?

GRAND VENUS has 1803nm to go and is continuing to be ahead of schedule. She is maintaining 16.9 kts

GV Atlantic Progress.png

Meanwhile, SILVER RAY has popped up 200 nm W of Lands End. She is due in to Zeebrugge at 0800 on Monday. She has been allocated quay 520 - one that has been used previously by ships carrying Tesla cargo although not the preferred one.

Last edited:
Love your posts Mr M!

Just a quick Q - I ordered a Model X LR last month, and am aware of the crazy journey the S/Xs take on their way to the UK via Holland.

Do they ever ship them from SF? Also, do you have any idea what Silver Ray is carrying?

I'm not aware of S/X's being shipped to UK direct from SF.
I also don't have a clue what is aboard the SILVER RAY. Tesla freight from New York is normally charger related stuff that travels by container not cars.
These are unusual times, so we could all be surprised!!

If anyone has an interest in engines it's worth looking into the type of engines that power these car carriers (and other ships too). They have a low speed two stroke marine diesel. Yup a 2 stroke. It certainly isn't a moped engine though. There are a couple of youtube videos out there (of course) and some interesting reading on the engines on various oddball sites that cater for the likes of me.

If anyone has an interest in engines it's worth looking into the type of engines that power these car carriers (and other ships too). They have a low speed two stroke marine diesel. Yup a 2 stroke. It certainly isn't a moped engine though. There are a couple of youtube videos out there (of course) and some interesting reading on the engines on various oddball sites that cater for the likes of me.

A two stroke that is often big enough to park a small car, or at least a phone box, in the bore, and one that you can almost count the revolutions.

Edit: Okay, a bit of an exaggeration. The largest marine diesel, the Warsila RTA96-C has a bore and stroke of 0.96 m x 2.5 m. so more akin to a phone box than a small car. I reckon a Sinclair C5 would fit though!

22 RPM is definitely count-able. :)

Last edited:

Would be interested to know the average CO2 per vehicle shipped assuming an average shipment size and journey duration.

The other day I posted about some serious accidents that had occured to car carriers in recent years however fires on these type of vessel appear to be a big problem.
I have noted 4 major incidents which have occurred since Jan 19.
Earlier this month the HOEGH XIAMEN loaded with 2000 used vehicles caught fire whilst alongside at Jacksonville. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days. If a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equpped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?
Almost exactly a year ago in June 2019, the DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.
In May last year the GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.
In January 2019 the SINCERITY ACE went up whilst crossing the Pacific Ocean with 3,500 Nissans onboard. 5 crewman died.
Most of these fires are apparently being attributed to car batteries.
This is a disgraceful record and it may be worth remembering next time the international media highlight a single Tesla catching alight somewhere in the world.
Whatever, transporting cars across the seas is not only expensive and polluting but clearly comes with some big risks too - I can see why Elon is not a fan.