Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toscana has arrived in Shanghai for the made in China SR+.

66A17CA5-81B3-4D5A-AE64-88F2F35D6E35.jpeg

9650C535-7BA3-475F-95B1-6FF2B874D059.jpeg

I don't automatically post on here all the tips I receive until a source has proven their reliability.
Sometimes I have trouble believing some of the tips I receive and tonight is a case in point but since this information comes from a source that I hold in high regard, I will pass it on verbatim.

'Later tonite/early morning Grand Dolphin will move across to Benicia but she will return to Pier 80 tomorrow nite.'

I have no idea what is going on here. I wonder if something has been lost in translation. We shall see.....

TRITON ACE, 400 miles out to the west, is now heading for Benicia at 12 kts. She should arrive there tomorrow night (once GRAND DOLPHIN leaves Benicia).

RCC ANTWERP continues on schedule, sailing down the Pacific coast of Mexico towards the Panama Canal.
She will arrive at the anchorage off Balboa in the late afternoon of 29 Oct.
At midday Z she was at position N17.5 W102.8 which is about 40nm SW of Lazero Cardenas, Mexico
Over the last 24 hrs she has covered 386nm at average speed of 16.1kts.

I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 11 Nov and Southampton a couple of days later.
The weather continues to be fine for the remainder of the day with partly cloudy skies and a chance of the odd rain shower. Tonight however there is a good chance of running into a thunderstorm. In fact from tonight onwards until Panama the forecast becomes very tropical -frequent rain, occasionally heavy, with thunderstorms. These are not the monster storms we saw in Q3 that needed avoiding but smaller localised storms that do not pose any problems to an ocean going ship.

RCC ANTWERP Pacific.png

GRAND DOLPHIN has been alongside Pier 80 for 24 hours and is now in the process of relocating to Benicia. Now I’m not sure what will happen here. Yesterday I said that I expected her to depart to the Far East from here, and half of me says that will still happen at around 5 pm local time. A usually reliable source however has told me. no, she is going returning to Pier 80. I’m not totally convinced but at around midnight UK time we shall see what actually happens….

TRITON ACE should be arriving at Benicia after GRAND DOLPHIN vacates the pier there. I understand she is not expected to be alongside Pier 80 until Monday evening.

TOSCANA continues to load alongside in Shanghai.

Whilst looking at the weather for RCC ANTWERP I spotted a meteorological event occurring further down the coast. It turns out to be known as the Tehuantepecer wind (easy for you to say). This is a very strong wind that blows through a gap in the Sierra Madre mountains the plume of which results in gale force winds and choppy seas hundreds of miles out to sea. RCC ANTWERP might encounter some of the weather associated with this tomorrow afternoon.

Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 11.23.52.png

TRITON ACE It doesn't look like she will be arriving in Benicia anytime soon since she continues to loiter (well) off the coast and at present is 350 nm W of San Francisco. I have been trying to get an update from someone close to the coalface but being a Sunday I have not been successful. I don't expect to get an update now until tomorrow afternoon.
What I do know is that Pier 80 is still expecting her to arrive alongside tomorrow evening. In order to achieve that she will need to leave her present position now and route direct to Pier 80.
I'll check her position again in 6 hours.....

Looks like Triton Ace is maybe moving towards San Fracisco finally ?

I have her live position from satellite and she is 311 miles off the coast travelling at 12.3 knots. That will take 25 hours at her present rate.
Even at full speed we are looking at around 15 hours.
Her AIS destination continues to show Benicia with an ETA of 0200Z tomorrow morning, which clearly is now impossible to meet.

In about 3 hours, GRAND DOLPHIN should leave Benicia and return to Pier 80. Since raising doubts about this move, another usually reliable source says he has checked on the matter and has determined it is true. He added that GRAND DOLPHIN will depart from Pier 80 tomorrow evening around midnight Z and that TRITON ACE should arrive at the Pier immediately afterwards.

As always nobody is willing to explain why and ship's destinations, if known, are regarded as commercially sensitive information and I wouldn't want anybody to put their career in jeopardy.

So we will have to wait until tomorrow night to find out where GRAND DOLPHIN is heading off to.

It seems that TRITON ACE will not be heading to Benicia, it was never the intention, and will come alongside Pier 80 as soon as GRAND DOLPHIN departs this evening. Quite why she has Benicia showing as her AIS destination is anyone's guess. She has 150 miles left to run and the timing looks good for that to happen.

Apparently, GRAND DOLPHIN needed to load some heavy equipment at Benicia (Tesla manufacture the equipment for the production lines too) that could not be brought to Pier 80. How true that is I don't know but if the ship departs to Shanghai there may be something in it.

Reactions: ringi
First-time poster, sorry if I'm not clued up on forum etiquette yet. I ordered on the 20th a “2021” SR+ RHD to the UK. Estimated delivery “November”. Got a text saying “A car has already been allocated to your order and we will be in contact shortly to arrange delivery”, however, I have not been assigned a VIN yet nor can I find one with source code trick. I have been following the RCC Antwerp religiously, however, Mr Miserable says VINs are usually assigned a day or two after leaving port. Is this the rule or are there exceptions or is a car has been allocated text something they send when you order an unallocated car currently at sea after the bulk VIN assignment?