Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a busy day ahead of me tomorrow so I won't be able to cover what could be a revealing day on the shipping front, so here's what I'm expecting.
By midday our time the GLOVIS COMPOSER, the first ship in just about 3 months, will dock at Pier 80. We still don't know for sure where it's heading to but I am going to assume (dangerous!) its coming to Europe. I have not been able to find the GLOVIS COMPOSER featuring in any of the usual EU port schedules in June, but this is not totally unusual and was probably true for about half of the previous EU bound ships. At the end of the day, I don't think we will know for sure until she sails. When is that going to be? is the next obvious question. I would expect her to leave on Saturday 23rd, which would get her to Zeebrugge around the 13th June.

We are expecting another ship to arrive at Pier 80 on the 26th however the only source of this information is the San Francisco Port schedule which has a couple of 'TBA' placeholders. The port schedule didn't inform us about the GLOVIS COMPOSER and it has been historically unreliable too, and so I am going to discount it totally.

As has been mentioned previously there are some likely candidates for the next ship not too far away. The GRAND VENUS is presently alongside at Tacoma and it is scheduled to depart at 1700 local tomorrow - destination unknown.
The GLOVIS SUN which is currently heading for Annacis island is due to arrive at Tacoma on Thursday morning for a brief 13 hour stop. Again its destination after that, is also unknown.
The strangely named K.ASIAN BEAUTY is presently at Annacis island and I can't find out where it's heading to next. It could be Benicia which is just north of San Francisco. This ship has form in that it was used by Tesla last September for a shipment to S Korea. This ship could head for Pier 80 after Benicia.
Hopefully by late tomorrow we shall know a little more about the intentions of GRAND VENUS and K.ASIAN BEAUTY.

Meanwhile, down the coast is the ASIAN GLORY. It is not due to arrive in San Diego until Saturday or Sunday, depending on where you look. Curiously, it does not feature in the pretty comprehensive San Diego port schedule. The ship has also been manoeuvreing unusually off Baja California - at present it's heading South at 3 kts when it should be heading NNW. I'm getting dizzy watching it. It's quite a small ship in comparison to the others but nevertheless it has form too, it was used for a shipment to Shanghai from Pier 80 last May. I think this is an outsider at present.

Soon we're going to have the confirmation. Glovis Composer is about to enter San Francisco !

I'll update as soon as it docks on Pier 80 (or go to another direction)

upload_2020-5-20_13-35-37.png

Reactions: ChickenDipper
Frustratingly the K.ASIAN BEAUTY is heading down the west coast but has not updated it's AIS destination, so we still don't know where it's headed!
We do know however that the GRAND VENUS is heading for Long Beach and by doing so can ruled out as the possible 2nd ship.
GLOVIS SUN is still showing on the Tacoma port schedule as heading there.
ASIAN GLORY continues to faff around Baja California.
So in summary, 2 ships still remain of interest - K.ASIAN BEAUTY and GLOVIS SUN.

Reactions: JupiterMan
Disappointingly the K.ASIAN BEAUTY has updated its AIS destination to Mexico. All is not yet lost as it there is an established route from there to Benicia, which is a stone's throw away from Pier 80. I'm still keeping an eye on him.

Latest tip is that the GLOVIS COMPOSER will depart tomorrow evening (local).

Reactions: cliver18
Nice pictures! Thanks for posting them here.
The problem with the "SGF" photos are that the ship is not loading - the ramps are up (which would concern me)
The aerial shot at least shows that the ship is loading.
Phew!!

That is a lot of cars to be loaded by tomorrow evening!

This is a tweet from Feb 2019...
Ops, sorry
We can just stick with the SGF photos then

Nice pictures! Thanks for posting them here.
The problem with the "SGF" photos are that the ship is not loading - the ramps are up (which would concern me)
The aerial shot at least shows that the ship is loading.
Phew!!

That is a lot of cars to be loaded by tomorrow evening!
Agree. But it was taken yesterday, probably just sometime after the ship moored.