Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked on the GRAND VENUS. She continues to make good progress at 17 kts towards the Mona Passage.
She should arrive there around this time tomorrow.
GV 7 Jun.png

I've got a RN for a M3 performance (via a leasing company for work) and have phoned Tesla last week to see if I'm VIN matched... I'm not and they said to expect delivery late Jun/early July. This seems to imply it's not on GV... any view on next shipment to the UK after GV?

I've got a RN for a M3 performance (via a leasing company for work) and have phoned Tesla last week to see if I'm VIN matched... I'm not and they said to expect delivery late Jun/early July. This seems to imply it's not on GV... any view on next shipment to the UK after GV?

Hi, welcome to the forum - I’m in the same position, nearly said “in the same boat” haha - you should check here regularly and also keep an eye on Tesla Carriers - Google Drive

In terms of insight and prediction you will find @Mr Miserable pretty much the authority on all things Tesla shipping for the UK - so stick around and no doubt you’ll get the info here first.

From what I’ve picked up in the last 2 weeks, it seems GRAND VENUS is the last known UK-bound shipment for this quarter, and I think it’s right to say there is normally a gap into the next quarter then they start up again for months 2 & 3 - so end July could be possibly or into August.

With lockdown rules as they are and my work not expecting us back in the office probably until at least January, whilst I would be delighted to get my LR model 3 I don’t mind waiting for a 70-plate - but of course you may want yours quicker than that :)

I'm also in this position, have RN from lease company but no VIN match so far (last call to Tesla was when they were loading Grand Venus in SFO)

Looking back on this forum, it has been the case sometimes (but not all) that UK orders do not get VIN matched until later in the crossing... whether that's the same for Grand Venus I don't know... I'm keeping a keen eye on here to see news of when any UK orders get new VIN matches, and will then call Tesla again to check my position. A match will mean a June/July delivery.

If not on Grand Venus then I think July delivery is unlikely, as next ships will not leave SFO until early in Q3 , with cars having to be built, transported to Pier 80, loaded onto a ship, ~21 days crossing to Zeebrugge, then a few more days to sail to Southampton, then unloaded/transported to your delivery centre, I would think August is much more likely than July.

Having said all that it seems from Mr Miserables posts that Q3 ships are pretty much in position and waiting, so might be a bit smoother in Q3, we'll see!!

ok, so seems outside chance of being on GV, but more likely August. Luckily it's not essential, but very much nice to have. (as process was started in Feb/Mar with my company!).
Gives me time to get the home charger sorted at least as that all went on hold

If they told you to expect delivery late June /early July then the car must be on the GRAND VENUS as there are no other shipments that I am aware of.
If your car isn't on the GRAND VENUS you should have been told early August delivery.

The GRAND VENUS is about to transit the Mona Passage.
It is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the channel it's only about 100m deep. On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the channel can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.

At the moment the Mona Passage is particularly calm, almost glassy, with a gentle easterly breeze, which is nice.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 17.24.41.png

She is making 18kts and so is making excellent progress.

The positioning of the GLOVIS SUN has sparked me to spend the morning looking for likely Q3 ships.
I still reckon GRAND PIONEER could be the 1st ship. GLOVIS SUN's stated docking date of 10 July leaves a gap beforehand to be filled.
It's a long way out to be absolutely sure on the timings but I reckon the 1st 3 ships in order will be as follows:

1. GRAND PIONEER
2. GLOVIS SUN
3. GLOVIS SUNRISE

We shall see.....