Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been pondering...
How did SILVER RAY's cargo cross the USA without being reported?
The idea that they went by road just doesn't wash. Thousands of cars, some RHD, being transported by road would have been spotted and reported on.
So that means they went by rail, probably in wagons like this:
View attachment 551823

Newark has a convenient railhead at Oak Island which is used for new car transportation. Transporting by rail in the US is not fast. It's also not something that can be quickly organised - this had a long lead time.
I think that this shipment may be the shipment that was originally provisionally earmarked for the GLOVIS STELLA. I had been made aware that the GLOVIS STELLA had been cancelled for several days before it became obvious. It would also explain why we were all surprised when the GLOVIS COMPOSER didn't come to EU - I was certainly aware of high production levels beforehand of EU vehicles. So I think this shipment must have left Fremont in the 1st week of reopening around May 11. This coincides with the sighting of an EU spec car leaving Fremont by transporter. Where were they loaded? Oakland Intermodal is primarily a container facility as far as I am aware. I am aware that there is a railway yard immediately behind the Fremont factory but I'm not aware of any loading facilities there either.
Benicia springs to mind as the closest.

So 5 days to load the train takes us to May 16. 12 days in transit takes us to May 28. That leaves a week to unload and wait for the ship to arrive on 4 Jun. Timing fits...

Anybody have any better ideas?

@Mr Miserable, thanks for all your great work.

Any idea how much more it would cost to ship to Europe via rail to East coast vs straight from San Fran?

Reactions: Roy W.
@Mr Miserable, thanks for all your great work.

Any idea how much more it would cost to ship to Europe via rail to East coast vs straight from San Fran?
I haven't a clue!
If it was cheaper and quicker however I'm sure it would have been done from the outset.

EDIT
Found this article which although is talking about containers I think some parallels can be drawn.

Last edited:
The Silver Ray is just about to peel off from the Channel shipping lane in towards Southampton. She maintained a stately 14 kts through the night, from which can be concluded that she is no rush.
The Southampton VTS arrivals board remains undetered by the approaching leviathan and resolutely stands by its statement of an arrival tomorrow afternoon.
There are vacancies in the Nab anchorage.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R and LukeUK
The Silver Ray is just about to peel off from the Channel shipping lane in towards Southampton. She maintained a stately 14 kts through the night, from which can be concluded that she is no rush.
The Southampton VTS arrivals board remains undetered by the approaching leviathan and resolutely stands by its statement of an arrival tomorrow afternoon.

seems to have caught up now!
SILVER RAY 9775828 Vehicle (MVE) MHL 16-Jun-2020 12:30

Update: SILVER RAY is to take up residence in Nab Anchorage No 1

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 11.24.38.png

It seems the unemployed cruise ship VENTURA is the problem why SILVER RAY can't enter Southampton and unload its valuable cargo.
It is going to arrive from doing diddly squat in its anchorage off Weymouth and block Pier 104 tomorrow before departing back out around 4 to doing the square root of diddly squat later tomorrow afternoon.
Priorities!
This is precisely how ports lose business. Circa £100m of vehicles delayed for what?
Somebody make a phone call please.

Meanwhile out in the North Atlantic GRAND VENUS has just 38 hours to go before arriving at Zeebrugge.
She has 667nm to go and is making 17.4 kts.

View attachment 552172
Hi Im new to this whole thing and I was wondering if you could estimate when my car would arrive. I ordered my model x in december bbut for some reason i was only eligible for matching a couple of days ago. Do you have any idea when it will arrive?

Got my vin today, ending 733***
Hi Im new to this whole thing and I was wondering if you could estimate when my car would arrive. I ordered my model x in december bbut for some reason i was only eligible for matching a couple of days ago. Do you have any idea when it will arrive?
Probably in the next couple of days, with delivery within the next few weeks tops... assuming the Ventura stops blocking everyone at Southampton docks :p

^^ think you need to be looking out for info on vehicles being shipped into UK from Tilburg - don’t think the ships carrying Model 3’s also include the X or S - if you scan back through this thread you will find some info. There’s some other links on google search also - try “how long does it take Tesla cars to get to Europe” or similar.

I for some reason only became eligible for matching a couple of days ago. When do you think ill get matched? (model x)
Model X, and S, have a different delivery route, a much more complicated route.
Basically they are shipped by container by rail to Houston and then by container ship to Rotterdam, and finally barge to Tilburg in NL.
The cars are reassembled there and then they get shipped via Zeebrugge to UK.
It's much more unpredictable and much harder to track.
Veda Prime on Twitter is your man.
Sorry I can't help.