Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see it right now on the Cocoli web cam
94A31D7B-324F-4D9D-88B6-524811D9532B.png

[QUOTE="Meanwhile up at Pier 80 loading is continuing for GRAND DAHLIA. A correspondent of mine has reported seeing a large number of RHD vehicles leaving the factory to Pier 80 this morning. She will depart in the early hours of Saturday morning. The first confirmation that she is coming to the EU will be when her destination is published in the San Francisco Chronicle tomorrow evening. I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Aug.
View attachment 568135[/QUOTE]

Do you think these RHD drives be on the Dahlia or will they be for the next boat please?

The GLOVIS SUN seems to be moving as per the plan I outlined last night. She has already successfully negotiated the Cocoli Locks and is now enroute to the Agua Clara locks. Thanks to @Mister J for a really good graphic of the canal route.

No more news on Gonzalo except to mention that the half dozen cruise ships that have been anchored up in Barbados have now up-anchored and scarpered off to the south (safe direction) out of its path. I think GLOVIS SUN will be able to nip across the Caribbean well ahead of him.

[QUOTE="Meanwhile up at Pier 80 loading is continuing for GRAND DAHLIA. A correspondent of mine has reported seeing a large number of RHD vehicles leaving the factory to Pier 80 this morning. She will depart in the early hours of Saturday morning. The first confirmation that she is coming to the EU will be when her destination is published in the San Francisco Chronicle tomorrow evening. I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Aug.
View attachment 568135

Do you think these RHD drives be on the Dahlia or will they be for the next boat please?[/QUOTE]

They are being loaded on to the GRAND DAHLIA.

Reactions: Pilotpem
Think happy thoughts @bobnaldo - I’m crossing fingers for a match out of DAHLIA, if it’s coming to Zeebrugge then there should be some RHD on there.
Me too

Do you think these RHD drives be on the Dahlia or will they be for the next boat please?

They are being loaded on to the GRAND DAHLIA.[/QUOTE]
Music to my ears, even though no VIN yet...

Reactions: c7carl
Normally, before a ship arrives at the dock all the cars to be loaded are organised into blocks. There is a loading plan and once the ship arrives it is ballasted in accordance with the plan and loading begins and the blocks rapidly evaporate. It is immediately apparent to everyone how the process is going and how much more work is to be done. The cars are quickly loaded and everybody is happy.
If the ship arrives and the cars are not all there that makes everybody unhappy. Instead of one loading plan - there is a new one every 3 hours or so as the cars arrive, the ship may have to have its ballast adjusted for the latest plan and there is a lot of hanging around. There is a lot of 'hurry up and wait'. It's not the smooth system that everyone is used to, it's tiring, and so mistakes can be made. Nobody quite knows exactly how much longer it's going to take and yet it's the question everybody is asking. Everyone has an opinion on what the next step should be, and invariably the step that is chosen is quite obviously the worst option in the view of the vocal idle. This scenario is rare but it does happen occasionally and the current GRAND DAHLIA loading is allegedly an example of it.

Normally, before a ship arrives at the dock all the cars to be loaded are organised into blocks. There is a loading plan and once the ship arrives it is ballasted in accordance with the plan and loading begins and the blocks rapidly evaporate. It is immediately apparent to everyone how the process is going and how much more work is to be done. The cars are quickly loaded and everybody is happy.
If the ship arrives and the cars are not all there that makes everybody unhappy. Instead of one loading plan - there is a new one every 3 hours or so as the cars arrive, the ship may have to have its ballast adjusted for the latest plan and there is a lot of hanging around. There is a lot of 'hurry up and wait'. It's not the smooth system that everyone is used to, it's tiring, and so mistakes can be made. Nobody quite knows exactly how much longer it's going to take and yet it's the question everybody is asking. Everyone has an opinion on what the next step should be, and invariably the step that is chosen is quite obviously the worst option in the view of the vocal idle. This scenario is rare but it does happen occasionally and the current GRAND DAHLIA loading is allegedly an example of it.
Excuse my inexperienced question, but what sort of mistakes are we talking about?

Once the GLOVIS SUN has cleared the Agua Clara locks the next thing to watch for is which entry to the Atlantic is she going for.
There are basically 2 choices, the Windward Passage or the Mona Passage.
When GLOVIS SUN exits the canal she will initially enter a traffic separation scheme for about 15 miles and then we shall see which way she goes. Unfortunately the land based AIS coverage on marinetraffic runs out about here too. If she maintains a course of about 029 degrees that would indicate the Windward Passage however a right turn onto a course of about 055 degrees would suggest the Mona Passage.

Caribbean.png