Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally!
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.05.15.png

The GLOVIS SUN has engaged ludicrous mode and is now doing over 19 kts!
This may be due to the delay in today's canal transit and/or the approach of Tropical Storm Gonzalo.
I suspect the burst of speed will be temporary and normal service will be resumed by the time she reaches the Atlantic.
The indications are that she is making for the Mona Passage which is 820 nm away. At her present speed she should arrive there on Sunday night.

Unhelpfully she has not updated her ETA for Zeebrugge. I will still go for 5 August for the moment.

Last edited:
GRAND DAHLIA 2nd Ship to EU in Q3!

GRAND DAHLIA is on her way to Zeebrugge.

She is the 2nd ship in Q3 to be heading to Europe.

At 200m long and 32.2 wide she is a 'standard' Panamax sized car carrier capable of carrying 5960 AEUs compared to GLOVIS SUN's 6720 AEUs. She is sized to fit (just) into the old Panama Canal locks.

The GRAND DAHLIA is no stranger to the Zeebrugge run having done it twice in 2019 (May and October).

According to my source in San Francisco loading yesterday went smoothly and was well organised with a mix of LHD and RHD Model 3s.

This has the potential to be a very fast transit to Zeebrugge. She is estimating to be at Balboa, the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal on 1 August which in my estimation is a very quick transit - almost unrealistic. I originally estimated that she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Aug but if she is determined to make a fast transit that could slide left to even 13 Aug. We shall see….

The next ship to load, the GLOVIS CAPTAIN is expected to arrive alongside Pier 80 on Sunday evening in preparation for loading to commence on Monday morning.

Last edited:
GRAND DAHLIA 2nd Ship to EU in Q3!

GRAND DAHLIA is on her way to Zeebrugge.

She is the 2nd ship in Q3 to be heading to Europe.

At 200m long and 32.2 wide she is a 'standard' Panamax sized car carrier capable of carrying 5960 AEUs compared to GLOVIS SUN's 6720 AEUs. She is sized to fit (just) into the old Panama Canal locks.

The GRAND DAHLIA is no stranger to the Zeebrugge run having done it twice in 2019 (May and October).

According to my source in San Francisco loading yesterday went smoothly and was well organised with a mix of LHD and RHD Model 3s.

This has the potential to be a very fast transit to Zeebrugge. She is estimating to be at Balboa, the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal on 1 August which in my estimation is a very quick transit - almost unrealistic. I originally estimated that she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Aug but if she is determined to make a fast transit that could slide left to even 13 Aug. We shall see….

The next ship to load, the GLOVIS CAPTAIN is expected to arrive alongside Pier 80 on Sunday evening in preparation for loading to commence on Monday morning.
Hi @Mr Miserable! Do we know how the SUN is getting on now? Hopefully it’s still speeding along nicely and avoiding any potential troublesome storms/hurricanes!

I've just been doing the sums on GRAND DAHLIA's passage to Balboa. It is a distance of 3,482nm and she estimates to be there in 168 hours which would mean her maintaining 20.7kts all the way to achieve that - unlikely in my opinion. Suddenly this could become a spectator sport, will she do it?

Reactions: Gazmayo
Hi @Mr Miserable! Do we know how the SUN is getting on now? Hopefully it’s still speeding along nicely and avoiding any potential troublesome storms/hurricanes!

Meanwhile in the Caribbean, GLOVIS SUN has reduced speed to, a still very respectable, 17.5kts. Despite early indications that she was going to make a dash for the Mona passage it now looks like she is heading for the Windward Passage instead. This route would keep her well clear of any problems associated with TS Gonzalo. Annoyingly she has still not updated her AIS ETA for Zeebrugge. On the basis that she maintains her current speed, which may be a little optimistic, she would arrive in Zeebrugge on 4 August. I will stick with my estimate of 5 August for the moment.