Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably the most closely guarded secret is how much is paid. Your guess is as good as anybody's, quite frankly.
The costs incurred are considerable.
There have been numerous investigations in to price rigging by the big players. So much so that some car manufacturers have got into the shipping business themselves out of necessity.

Very true even in the Dry Bulk and Liquids shipping markets (which I know a very little bit about). Nerd point: I noticed the draft reduced very slightly recently and then I thought: D'oh! Consumption of bunkers ;)

Also noticed in another thread that Tesla are now getting into the in-house leasing business. Same deal I guess, if you're doing it in enough quantity it's good business to do it yourself, and can be a great earner in its own right (cough, VWFS, cough).

Probably the most closely guarded secret is how much is paid. Your guess is as good as anybody's, quite frankly.
The costs incurred are considerable.
There have been numerous investigations in to price rigging by the big players. So much so that some car manufacturers have got into the shipping business themselves out of necessity.
Hence Glovis being part of Hyundai?

GLOVIS SUN. She arrived in Zeebrugge in the small hours of this morning. She will depart tomorrow night for Southampton where she will arrive at 14:30 on Friday.

GRAND DAHLIA. She is now established on track across the Atlantic. She is maintaining 18kts and is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 13 Aug. She may encounter the odd isolated thunderstorm over the next 24hrs but otherwise the weather is good. The Zeebrugge port schedule has made an error (not unusual) and is calling her GLOVIS CAPTAIN. She is in port from 01:00 on 13 Aug until 22:00 on 14 Aug. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Southampton on the afternoon of 15 Aug

GRAND DAHLIA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS CAPTAIN. She continues to progress down the Pacific coast towards Panama. She is maintaining just over 16kts and is on time to arrive at the entrance to the canal on 8 Aug. Over the next 24hrs she will frequently encounter areas with significantly reduced visibility due to heavy rain from thunderstorms.
I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 21 Aug. Ignore the Zeebrugge port schedule timings for her.
Don’t forget to enter the competition!

GLOVIS CAPTAIN 5 AUG.png

GLOVIS SPLENDOR. She has just departed Pier 80 for Yokohama, Japan. Reports of RHD vehicles on the pier - turns out were probably for the Japanese market. :(
The ship was originally scheduled for Zeebrugge however because the routine rotation of the crew has not been possible because of COVID-19 travel restrictions the ship is to return to the Far East.

RCC ASIA. She will arrive about this time tomorrow alongside Pier 80 and commence loading. Her destination is yet to be determined.

@Mr Miserable have noticed that GLOVIS CAPTAIN is taking a track closer to the coast as it saunters down past south america, this means there are more regular AIS hits which is nice - speed a bit slower than recent ships overall but is this weather related or could be sea currents/conditions, or just not the "fast lane" due to Canal transit timing ?

@Mr Miserable have noticed that GLOVIS CAPTAIN is taking a track closer to the coast as it saunters down past south america, this means there are more regular AIS hits which is nice - speed a bit slower than recent ships overall but is this weather related or could be sea currents/conditions, or just not the "fast lane" due to Canal transit timing ?
Actually, the closer to the coast the worse the weather at the moment. Lots of thunderstorms along the coast and a big convergence area just to her south. Fairly typical for the time of the year in Central America.

Hi and welcome, if it’s on the Glovis Captain then unlikely before Sep - likely first or second week of Sep.

3 and a bit weeks from San Fran to Zeebrugge then another few days to Southampton - then transport and faffing about time from Tesla in the UK.

Happy ship tracking !
Hi .... you were right Sir.
Got a text from Tesla today to book my collection, only available date 4th September. On what boat could it be?!
Many thanks

Reactions: Neilio