Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3LR Range only 330

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt you'll ever really get 330 miles, TBH. The range estimate tends to err on the high side initially, then usually drops slightly as the car sort of calibrates to the way it's been driven recently. A trip driven pretty briskly will tend to make the estimated range reduce, a trip driven extremely gently will tend to make it increase. Range also drops by up to 20% in cold and wet weather. Overall, weather and driving style can make the difference between the same car showing 250 miles or 320 miles. Mine's never come close to being able to do the WLTP range of 348 miles. 300 miles would be the best I could hope for, but realistically the range is closer to 250 miles.

The quoted range figures are as mythical as the official mpg figures for conventional cars, especially the WLTP range figure, they are virtually unobtainable in practice. The EPA range figures are a bit better, but still optimistic for most people.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't know why there's a general narrative that expects BEVs to be different to ICE vehicles in this regard.

My current ICE car manages about 33mpg for my normal commute because it's stop-start and I'm often in queues of traffic, but I know that on a long run it can manage much better than that, meaning I can travel around 200 miles more on a full tank.

Does anyone in the owners forums obsess about it? Nope. Do reviews obsess about it? Nope.

If I only get 150-200 miles out of my LR when I get it, then I will assume it has a problem, but if I get 250-270 on a long run then I'll be more or less where I expect to be and quite happy. Sure, I'd prefer to be able to get 500-600 miles, but I have to look at the reality of the technology right now.

Reactions: rectofossa
So I’ve just got my new LR a couple of days ago and finally got around to fully charging it (100%). It’s stating my max mileage is 330, but my understanding is that these cars do 360 now. Any thoughts?
for the record the 2020 models only reported about 211 miles when new rather than the old WLTP so you have still gained about 20 miles on the rest of us. So thanks for rubbing it in :mad:

I don't know why there's a general narrative that expects BEVs to be different to ICE vehicles in this regard.
I guess it's because, at the moment at least, running out of battery means you're stranded and even if you get to a charging point you will be looking at a reasonable amount of time before you get going again.

WIth ICE max range isn't really the be all and end all, beyond getting a car that's obviously appropriate for the sort of travelling you do. Even if you are in danger of running out you're never normally more than a few miles away from any petrol station you know is going to be working.

To add to what everyone has already said - it's also cold at the moment, which has an effect on total range.

I've just written to Tesla and suggested that they stop advertising the M3LR range as 360 miles and instead say the range is 100%

Of course, saying range is 100% is meaningless, but it seems saying range is 360 miles is also meaningless.

Especially when Elon said that your car has been "upgraded" from 330 to 360 miles range. Ask Tesla for proof of the increased range.

Definitely set up the car to display percentage. Then, treat the car exactly as you do with your phone - charge it up overnight (but not to 100%) then use it the next day.

Only worry about your percentage if you'll be using the car an unusual amount in one day, in which case plan to stop somewhere you can plug it in.

Once I thought of car charging that way, range anxiety went away!

It’s the mind shift needed. Forget “official” max range, it’s all bobbins.

The phone analogy is a really good one. I took this advice before collecting the car in September and genuinely have never checked what the car says is max range at 100% charge. In fact I’ve only ever charged it once to 100% - which was before a 260 mile journey.

What I do naturally keep an eye on is with a pretty predictable weekly mileage / lots of familiar journeys - is it broadly using about the same % each week. Answer yes. Also does it predictably lose about the same amount parked up for 5 days each week whilst I spend my life on Teams calls. Again yes. It loses 1% between Sunday night and Friday night.

Ergo the battery is fine and motors are fine, moving along the bus and don’t worry about it :)

The problem with the battery percentage on my phone is... I get serious battery anxiety with my phone now I have to use my phone as a car key.

I think anxiety exists regardless of percentage or mileage. It's more about accepting it and working with it. Too much information can be a bad thing.

Obviously I always carry a keycard as well.

Tesla quote the WLTP range in the UK like they are mandated to do by current regulations. I suppose they could additionally give you a spread of ranges to be expected in different conditions ... but nobody else does that either.

Not entirely correct, WLTP actually gives a theoretical minimum and maximum range from all of the figures obtained for different consumption conditions, so naturally everyone goes for the one that looks best.

Where Tesla do differ from other manufacturers is that they do not make the full figures readily available (I can't find them, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place).

By contrast, Jaguar's figures for the I-Pace are here: https://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/Jaguar-I-PACE-WLTP-Insert-1X5902110000WGBEN01P_tcm634-783893.pdf

As you can see, Jaguar quote the best figure as "up to 292 miles range" in their blurb, but the WLTP range is officially 253-292 and in reality you're likely to manage the lower figure under ideal conditions but almost never manage the higher one.

Personally I'd like to see the regulations make manufacturers quote that range of values at least in the small print because I know that for Tesla at least the real world range is likely to be 70-75% of the figure they quote - not that I expect other manufacturers to be much better than that.

It's a real shame, Tesla had a reputation for under-promising for a while and now they're just doing the same as all the legacy manufacturers.