Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR vs 2020 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of good info provided already, but here’s my 2 cents. I came from an Audi performance car and I went with a ‘21 LR. The car has been perfect so far with the exception of a failed AC compressor, which was repaired quickly. Neither car compares to the quality of a near luxury or luxury European car. The only reason I would take a ‘20 P over the ’21 refresh LR is if you plan to track or autocross it. Otherwise I just don’t see any reason. The LR without boost is a lot of fun and with it, its silly fun. The incremental acceleration with the P and the addition track focused add ons are just really not needed for normal use even if you occasionally like to go out and carve some canyons. Plus, the additional range is there on the LR if you need it…road trips are fun! In either case its a fun car to drive, just wish Tesla was better overall in terms of communication (as in being able to talk to a human being) and customer service!

I am still trying to understand why people buy the Performance upgrade. Do you take it to a track and race it?
If that is the case, I now understand. I hope you are not one of the people that on public highways are coming up to the rear of cars and swerving in and out of lanes and racing other cars on the road. I have been seeing this more and more and it is so dangerous to everyone on the road. Anyway, drive safely, please.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mikecm1
I am still trying to understand why people buy the Performance upgrade. Do you take it to a track and race it?
If that is the case, I now understand. I hope you are not one of the people that on public highways are coming up to the rear of cars and swerving in and out of lanes and racing other cars on the road. I have been seeing this more and more and it is so dangerous to everyone on the road. Anyway, drive safely, please.

People buy the performance upgrade for the same reason people buy the performance car, or people buy a corvette, porsche, BMW M "lite" or M car, Audi S, Mercedes AMG, etc.

Your question is basically the same as asking:

===================

"why does any car go faster than the speed limit? going faster than the speed limit is illegal, so why in the world do cars go faster than the speed limit?"

==================

Same question as yours, actually, just with the needle moved more toward the extreme side. My model 3 P has a "lifetime, dont reset" Wh/Mi number of like 270 (which is extraordinarily low for that car, with stock wheels). Its proof that I normally drive very, very chill. Every once in a while, though, I enjoy taking a back road and canyon carving a bit, or taking a sweeping freeway interchange at "some speed" if there is no one there and its safe otherwise to do so.

Last edited:
That is more likely teenagers in $8,000 compacts than adults driving $60,000 cars. And more generally, such driving has little to do with the actual performance of the vehicle…

Last edited:
The amount of people who have responded and gave feedback on this so quickly is pretty incredible open in order for him to our communities in the past and never seen answers/help/engagement to a question so fast.
I actually just watched a video yesterday where someone purchased the 2021 three and they noticed no improvement in sound for the double paint window vs the 2020 they had. He mentioned later that there may be a panel gap problem in his driver‘s door because it seemed like a lot of the noise was coming from there🤷🏼‍♂️.

Which is also something that seemed a little surprising as well because I just read something the other day about that Sandy Munro (I don’t really know him but apparently he’s in with very well respected in big name in the car and electric car world) kind of eviscerated the original model three and when he drove the “refreshed” 2021 he was blown away how well put together the car was and how it seemed there were no panel gal issues whatsoever.
@Around04 On average, the Model 3's being built today are better put together and more refined than early ones. Of course you will be buying a specific Model 3, and unfortunately I think there is still risk of assembly issues that lead to excessive wind noise. I believe the risk is pretty low these days but still exists.

The 2021 that Sandy reviewed was presumably average or above, for a newer one. The 2021 from that other video you mentioned with loud wind noise from the driver's door was below average, it had an issue that not all of them have.

My October 2021 Fremont built M3P has perfectly acceptable wind noise level. So did the October 2021 M3P and M3LR I tested - all three about the same, so I believe all three were assembled well enough to avoid any specific wind noise issues. Even these newer Model 3's are NOT the quietest highway cars out there by any means, I've certainly been in quieter cars including some competing EVs, but the 2021 Model 3's I've driven are totally fine in my book, nothing to complain about. Tire noise is usually louder than wind noise anyways in this car with performance tires.

However a Q2 2021 MYLR I tested had terrible wind noise on the highway. Sounded like it was coming from the top of the car. At the time I assumed that's how all Model Y were, but after reading more here I think that specific car I tested was poorly assembled, not all Y from that era are that loud, and even Model 3 sometimes have a similar/same issue apparently (though I didn't experience it in any 3).

This of course begs the question...if you get unlucky with a poorly assembled Model 3, can and will Tesla fix it under warranty?

If it's used, I'm going to say they probably won't. As long as you tested the exact used car you're going to buy, and it sounds good, then you're good!

(For a new Model 3 Tesla should fix any such issue if pointed out immediately like first 24 hours, but you might have to push very hard to get them to acknowledge it's a real problem that needs fixing, from what I've read.)

Last edited:
Sometimes simply because the occasional right foot push is a smile, and it is worth the expense. Just because you have it, doesn’t mean that you have to use it all the time.

It is just like why some people pay the extra for red or blue, and seeing their car in the parking lot makes them smile when they see it. Other people are perfectly happy with anything that has four wheels.

Also consider the cost of replacing a 20” tire on the M3P vs an 18” (or 19”) on the M3LR, and how quicker your tires’ tread may naturally wear down - so even if you keep the M3P just 2-3 years, you’ll likely have to throw a new set of tires on it

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Probably not common, but I replaced my first set of 20 in. Michelin PS4s at over 51,000 miles. Now at 64k, I expect to yield similar results and get to 100,000 before I’ll need to replace. Best handling tires I’ve ever owned also.

I’d read of folks having to replace these at 20,000; even 15k and 12k mi. Just goes to show why you can’t listen to everything you hear online.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood

And it's likely a BMW driver in his 328i doing this lol. The performance is a thrill to drive that's why. Of course, be safe and don't endanger others. There are plenty of slow drivers who are reckless, aggressive, inattentive, etc.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Are you actually trying to be competitive at autox/track/drag racing? If not, buy the newest LR you can afford and spend the $2k on AB.
Yep that is one option. Some people want the best model with the better brakes and acceleration - just for that sake. Get some unique wheels, or something else to personalize your Tesla from the norm, that's a better option IMO. The M3LR is plenty quick - anything below 4.5 to 60 is super fast for a daily.

Just out of curiosity because I’ve been told several different things, What is the standard or I guess I guess intended wheel size for each trim? I was under the impression the standard range plus was 18 inch and the long range especially after 21 is 19 inch and then the performance is 20 inch. Get obviously I know this isn’t always a absolute Do or Die thing but as far as for best aerodynamics range speed etc. isn’t there supposed to be a certain size for each one because at different dealerships I have seen different sizes on different trims except for on performance it seems like it’s always 20 inch

Your last sentence is correct. Performance always comes with 20" wheels these days. The others come with 18" wheels standard, with 19" as a standalone option. You can determine this using the Model 3 configurator on Tesla's website.

In the past the Performance trim could be had without the "Performance Upgrade Package" (PUP), in which case it would appear identical to a dual motor Long Range, with the same wheels, brakes, suspension, no spoiler, etc. (Such cars still had the full Performance acceleration and Track Mode.) However the PUP has been standard on all Model 3 Performance since sometime in 2020 I believe.

(Everything I write is about US market cars only, unless otherwise noted. I don't know if or how the available options differ for other markets.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
This thread has been wildly helpful and informative but at the same time a big mindf*ck because I overthink everything haha… First page everyone is just fully “I would definitely go performance you’ll regret it”
Followed by a page of people making very reasonable points that “ Unless you’re doing track mode, totally not worth it you’ll love the LR”

I’m half joking I appreciate all the feedback like many people said it’s just personal preference

Reactions: tm1v2
First page everyone is just fully “I would definitely go performance you’ll regret it”
Followed by a page of people making very reasonable points that “ Unless you’re doing track mode, totally not worth it you’ll love the LR”
@Around04 To me those statements are in no way contradictory! 😂 *I* would go for the 2020 Performance, because Track Mode is important to me in this car.

However Track Mode is useless for typical driving and of no value to the majority of drivers on the road. Besides pushing the car to its absolute limits in Track Mode, the LR and P mostly feel the same and drive the same, once you put your chosen tires on. Sure the P is quicker 0-60 but the LR is hardly slow! Seriously it's plenty quick. And at highway speeds they really are the same, I couldn't feel any difference at 70mph+ on the highway. The timed numbers and dyno runs I've looked at back that up - the P only makes extra power at lower speeds.

If Track Mode doesn't seem important to you and your driving, then the 2021 LR is the better buy. 👍