Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chime will not sound if you begin to move first. In manual driving, this means if you press the accelerator even slightly. In TACC or Autosteer, if you click the stalk down to re-engage or confirm as a lead car before the chime, it won't sound.
I waited for the chime at the green light, but I actually wondered about that myself, whether I had inadvertently been touching the accelerator a bit too much while waiting. So on my way home, I paid attention and made sure I wasn't pressing on it even a little. I didn't have any issues on my return trip.

The chime will not sound if you begin to move first. In manual driving, this means if you press the accelerator even slightly. In TACC or Autosteer, if you click the stalk down to re-engage or confirm as a lead car before the chime, it won't sound.

I'm still trying to understand exactly how the new feature is supposed to work when you're not the lead car. It's clear that in the prior FSD-only feature Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, no chime will sound for a green light when you are not the lead car, because in that case the car would decide to move forward on its own and no chime is needed.

But in using the Green Light Chime in manual driving, I think it doesn't sound when you have a lead car in front of you that hasn't started to move yet after the light turns green. This is good behavior because there's a danger that drivers will incorrectly train themselves to press the accelerator, immediately and almost unconsciously, as soon as the chime sounds.

So it's better if the chime sounds only when there is both a green light and no lead car still waiting directly in front of you. When a waiting lead car begins to move, the held-off chime will then sound to alert you, but if you've already started to move within about one second, it will be canceled and you'll never hear it.
TL;DR version - it might work, or not.

I'm still trying to understand exactly how the new feature is supposed to work when you're not the lead car.
This is explained somewhere - either on Tesla's site or in the text descrtioion of the feature in the car. I don't recall which at the moment.

If you're not the lead car, then the chime occurs 1s after the car in front of you advances (and the light is still green)

Edit: Found it - it was in the release notes in the car for this feature:
1658672071002.png

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
The green light chime works well but has at least 1 serious bug. I’m in the left turn lane and light is red. The light for traffic going straight turns green and I hear the chime.
Turn lane light is still red. This has happened twice. I guess the software can’t tell if the car is in a turning lane.
I noticed the same behavior.

I was really excited for this new feature but, after 2 days with it, I think I'm going to turn it off. I don't see much benefit unless I was sitting at a stop light, looking at my phone. If I'm looking at the intersection, paying attention to what I'm doing, it's just an added annoyance to hear the chime.

The green light chime works well but has at least 1 serious bug. I’m in the left turn lane and light is red. The light for traffic going straight turns green and I hear the chime.
Turn lane light is still red. This has happened twice. I guess the software can’t tell if the car is in a turning lane.
This is why you must check the light first before moving if you weren’t watching it already.

Still useful for me as I’m usually watching cross traffic.

Reactions: Not That M3
I guess the software can’t tell if the car is in a turning lane.
It doesn't notice the turn signal?

I'm excited to try this feature. I had it on a loaner Model S while my Model 3 was in service. It seemed useful even though I'm paying attention because I'm sometimes watching the cross-traffic. (Drivers seem to run red lights more often than a few years ago!)

I wish I could make the speed warning chime short like this green light chime.

This is why you must check the light first before moving if you weren’t watching it already.

Still useful for me as I’m usually watching cross traffic.
Agree 100%.
It doesn't notice the turn signal?

I'm excited to try this feature. I had it on a loaner Model S while my Model 3 was in service. It seemed useful even though I'm paying attention because I'm sometimes watching the cross-traffic. (Drivers seem to run red lights more often than a few years ago!)

I wish I could make the speed warning chime short like this green light chime.
In this case the light in my lane is still red when the green light chime goes off.

In my experience the green light chime has worked well, I'm happy with it:
  • When stopped at the front of a light, it chimes when it turns green (if I have not moved after about 1/2 second)
  • When behind a few cars, and the light turns green, it chimes when the car in front of me starts moving (again, if I have not moved after about 1/2 second) - But NOTE... Only if it can see the light. If there is a truck or something large, it can't see the traffic light. But it seems to work if the car is aware of the light (if it shows on the screen in front of the car)
  • It seems to distinguish between left turn and not lanes, so far at least. But I may just have been lucky so far.
But the chime does not excuse anyone of paying attention, I hope that is clear. Treat it as a "hey pay attention" signal, not a "hey step on the accelerator" signal.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
It works for me on the left turn light when I have the turn signal ON.

It works for me on the left turn light when I have the turn signal ON.
Hmmm

I encountered several stops when I was first in the left turn lane waiting for the light to turn green, but in every case the left turn signal turned green at the same time the main signal turned green and chimed as expected, so I haven’t run into the other situation yet.

• It seems to distinguish between left turn and not lanes, so far at least. But I may just have been lucky so far.
It does do this but it also gets it wrong fairly often. I guess it will associate the wrong light to the wrong lane, or localize the car into the wrong lane. I've seen FSB beta do this too, it will proceed on a green light intended for the adjacent lane, when ego's lane is still red. Obviously it's why they haven't shipped "confirmation-less" traffic light control for TACC. I can imagine this is a very hard problem to solve in a general way.

All the latest 2022.20.7 installs seems be coming from 2022.20.6. Wonder what the issue is that have to updated so fast.

And I'm not sure if this is related, but this morning, when I entered my car (on 2022.20.6), it rebooted on it's own and I had to wait a couple of minutes before I could get going. Never seen that before.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
All the latest 2022.20.7 installs seems be coming from 2022.20.6. Wonder what the issue is that have to updated so fast.

And I'm not sure if this is related, but this morning, when I entered my car (on 2022.20.6), it rebooted on it's own and I had to wait a couple of minutes before I could get going. Never seen that before.
I had the same issue. Seen it once so far with 2022.20.6.