Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a large number of "Command not understood" results when I try to use voice commands. In fact, it just sits there for 10 seconds while I yell "Play Yaz" at my car. I must look like a madman to the people around me! In the past I've noticed that I have some cellular "dead spots" in my neighborhood that makes using voice command unreliable, however after the 2022.20 updates it's becoming downright unusable. Again, just wondering if anyone else is seeing this type of performance.
Yes, this. I didn’t think much of it at the times I’ve tried voice commands, but yes, under 20.8 they a really worse than previously, much more non-responsive in areas of known good cellular coverage. Another joyous update.

Reactions: RNHurt
Yes, this. I didn’t think much of it at the times I’ve tried voice commands, but yes, under 20.8 they a really worse than previously, much more non-responsive in areas of known good cellular coverage. Another joyous update.
I was playing with voice commands yesterday and everything worked fine for me over WiFi. I guess the issue is with cellular coverage/reception.
20.8 version.

I was playing with voice commands yesterday and everything worked fine for me over WiFi. I guess the issue is with cellular coverage/reception.
20.8 version.
Yes, it does seem to work fine some times (like in my garage with WiFi). But it also fails when I'm streaming music while driving. So it might be a cellular coverage problem, but then I would expect that I couldn't stream music either. 🤔

So it might be a cellular coverage problem, but then I would expect that I couldn't stream music either. 🤔
From my experience they buffer some of the streaming in advance. I know I can drive through a dead cellular area and my Spotify playlist continues. But if I try to pick something else to play it complains about no network being available. (I don't know how much it buffers.)

I have noticed this as well for others since some point in June. I think it reflects Tesla feeling that the current software packages are very reliable, compared to previous packages.
I wouldn't read that much into it.

There used to be longer periods of "stable" software - so jumps between them were mainly for new features, recall behavior modifications, or minor fixes.
But the UI refresh introduced tons of new bugs and odd behavior, necessitating a flurry of updates to mitigate. It's entirely possible that Tesla believes the most current release is the "best available", but doesn't internally believe the mainline is "very reliable". There may simply be too many known issues in prior versions for any particular one of them to be marked as the "delivery version".

There used to be longer periods of "stable" software - so jumps between them were mainly for new features, recall behavior modifications, or minor fixes.
But the UI refresh introduced tons of new bugs and odd behavior, necessitating a flurry of updates to mitigate. It's entirely possible that Tesla believes the most current release is the "best available", but doesn't internally believe the mainline is "very reliable". There may simply be too many known issues in prior versions for any particular one of them to be marked as the "delivery version".
Another possibility is that as the amount of Teslas on the road increases the more bugs will show up

Here's an interesting short discussion concerning that topic:

Really interesting. I see parallels in hardware dev as well. But, Teslas are cars, not games or productivity apps for Windows. They need to function consistently and reliably, and fail safely.

Fortunately, the core functions seem really reliable. I think Tesla needs to be better at creating stable releases, and UI needs to change slower, or not at all. We should have the option to stick with the UI we bought on day one. A huge number of normal owners just want to drive, not obsess over the next shiny feature.

It is exhausting keeping up with all the changes. I'm fine waiting until I trade this one in to get a new UI and new features, like almost every other car in the world.

Reactions: smogne41

OK. Best available vs. very reliable. I'll accept that. But 3 or 4 versions behind, which is what it had been, suggests that at that time they didn't trust the newest versions with the new owners. For now, they do.

Apparently.

Here's an interesting short discussion concerning that topic:

That post confounds counts of bug reports vs. bugs vs. other issues. Bugs are when the code doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Other issues include feature requests. Yes, more users means reporting more of the bugs and other issues in the code -- if there's a way to report bugs.

In a safety-critical system, there's no excuse for delivering code updates with many new bugs. Bugs should be caught in code review, test automation, manual QA, and (internal) alpha test. Every bug fix should add a regression test to check that it was fixed and check that it doesn't return in a future release.

There's also no excuse for skipping usability tests on each UI change with a variety of drivers in a variety of conditions.

It's not very professional to make useless UI changes, not to mention UI changes that reduce safety like burying the defogger control. Ditto for prioritizing toys and games over drivability improvements. Not professional to introduce a lot of bugs in the process, perhaps in the name of getting a toy out on a holiday.

The team that programs the microcontrollers which control the hardware seem to do a much better job on quality than the team that programs the UI (which we've learned to reboot after every software update).

Agreed, but from the driver’s view, is there a practical difference?
Absolutely.

For example:
Before Sentry, the lack of Sentry mode wasn't a "bug", it was only a feature request. There was nothing wrong with the car as it was.
After Sentry mode became available, having Sentry not work because of USB stick glitches *is* a bug. The feature, as provided, doesn't operate as expected.

We can't just call any possible unimplemented feature a bug like the article author suggests. My car can't fly - file a bug report. My car can't tolerate 4-foot fording depths - file a bug report. My car doesn't project 3D holographic movies in the rear to entertain the kids - file a bug report. It's an infinite space. Calling any thing your product doesn't currently do a "bug" just isn't a good approach.

Likewise, bugs vs bug reports. When my defroster, a core function of the HVAC system, doesn't work because of a botched UI update, that's a significant bug. The function doesn't work, and it directly impacts *my* driving experience. But bug reports? Tesla provides no meaningful way to trace or track bugs. I can give the "bug report" voice command - but it's unidirectional, I have no idea who else (if anyone) has reported it, I can't follow up on it, and I receive no status on whether it is being worked, or when (if ever) it might be resolved. It does basically nothing to change my situation.

In a safety-critical system, there's no excuse for delivering code updates with many new bugs.
Completely agree. And we can tell that the author of that article doesn't work anywhere near safety critical systems, or they would have a dramatically different perspective.

Can you imagine this:
Bug growth is a sign of success: you’re getting users. The bug report rate is a proxy for the user acquisition rate.
The corollary is: you cannot expect to close all the bugs in the tracker. In fact, you shouldn’t even want that, because if you were to succeed, it would mean you’re not getting new users anymore.
In an aerospace environment??

Noone would ever walk into their senior management briefings at NASA, Airbus, Boeing, etc... and say "Don't worry that our pilots are finding bugs in the flight controls. This is a GOOD thing! It means we are growing our user base!" 😳 Or how about the medical field? The development process in safety-critical fields is exceptionally methodical, to ensure that bugs DON'T happen. And closing genuine bugs (again, feature requests are not bugs) in the bug tracker is essential.

Found that 2022.20.7 hung up for 6 hours at 50%. Tried reboot, changing WiFi, all that. Then I tried unplugging it from the charger. Resumed download and updated immediately.

Just FYI for anyone having the same issue.

Just one more data point for you- I'm stuck with the latest update at 50% for a couple hours now. I found your post and tried unplugging- no joy. I've also tried unlpugging both my USB sticks, trying hotspot vs router, restarted several times, turned off the car completely. Nothing. I guess I'll let it sit overnight and if no progress by morning, I'll open a ticket

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Just one more data point for you- I'm stuck with the latest update at 50% for a couple hours now. I found your post and tried unplugging- no joy. I've also tried unlpugging both my USB sticks, trying hotspot vs router, restarted several times, turned off the car completely. Nothing. I guess I'll let it sit overnight and if no progress by morning, I'll open a ticket
The longer I've been at this, and read other people's experience, the less confident I am that anything works consistently. 50% pause is very common, perhaps more common than otherwise. I think if the car goes to sleep before it continues that's not good. But nothing that seems to have worked works consistently. for me. Almost always it continues after a few hours, but for those who see it go more than a day, it might be worth requesting a reset from the service center.

The longer I've been at this, and read other people's experience, the less confident I am that anything works consistently. 50% pause is very common, perhaps more common than otherwise. I think if the car goes to sleep before it continues that's not good. But nothing that seems to have worked works consistently. for me. Almost always it continues after a few hours, but for those who see it go more than a day, it might be worth requesting a reset from the service center.
Another datapoint here: I’m on the other side. Every update for me (now at 108 of them) has worked to completion without major interruption, usually in about 20 minutes. One of them (perhaps the V11 debacle, can’t exactly remember) took about 45 minutes. All that said, I’ve stopped updating at v2022.20.8 even though I’ve had 6 newer versions downloaded trying to hold onto my radar and reduce the nannyworks.

• Informative
Did y'all try keeping the car awake, e.g. by occasionally pinging it from the phone app, or turning Sentry mode on, or leaving a door open?

For the last update I used the app to keep the car awake, just in case.
I watched it pause at 50% while sitting in the car with the heat going during the most recent update. But I will try turning on on Sentry Mode next time.

🍻

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I watched it pause at 50% while sitting in the car with the heat going during the most recent update. But I will try turning on on Sentry Mode next time.

My problem resolved overnight. Apparently this huge release caused a lot of delays. All good