Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You obviously don’t live too far from me. I‘m looking forward to seeing if it finally reads the huge number of 50 signs in the roadworks on the A1 north of Newcastle. But you’re right, it must be far easier to program ‘see speed limit sign - display limit on sign’, rather than ‘see speed limits sign on certain roads, only if there’s a ’T’ in the day and in a year when Easter falls in March - display limit on sign’
Tried it southbound when it starts just before the exit for Great North Park and it does see them but it changes back to 70 a few seconds later

Knowing what I know now, I'm going to be more discerning the next time I'm looking to switch my car.

I feel like I was scammed on the £5,800 I paid for FSD - "Autopilot on city streets" was not "coming later this year" (in 2020). The stark reality is that I probably won't realise any real benefit from having FSD by the time I sell my Model 3, in tandem due to Tesla's indifferent attitude towards Europe and the glacial pace of UNECE regulation easing.

EAP wasn't a thing when I bought it, so I didn't have any choice in that respect, but I think I'd still be cheesed off paying "just" £3,400 for those features, having tried them.

The stuff I just took for granted in my previous car, and in cars I've driven since getting my Model 3 - are either absent or not fit for purpose. Auto headlights, auto wipers, etc - all defective by design. Anything else you can realy think of is conspicuously absent.

if Tesla bring out a Ludicrous M3 with ~100kW pack or something equally ridiculous, I'd be keen to stay, but next time around I think I'll be looking elsewhere. From what I can see even the current competitors are basically better in every respect except outright performance and battery efficiency, and I imagine they'll reach parity with Tesla on that front far faster than Tesla seem to be innovating where it actually counts.
What Tesla should do is to clearly explain how they intend to use the FSD money and what they are paying for. I consciously bought FSD, knowing it's an investment for a future product that I may or may not benefit from. I saw recent improvements to FSD and the upcoming 10.13 and felt happy that my money was used wisely. Sure, I don't expect everyone to be like me, but at least they could convey the reality and seek funding only from interested folks.

You obviously don’t live too far from me. I‘m looking forward to seeing if it finally reads the huge number of 50 signs in the roadworks on the A1 north of Newcastle. But you’re right, it must be far easier to program ‘see speed limit sign - display limit on sign’, rather than ‘see speed limits sign on certain roads, only if there’s a ’T’ in the day and in a year when Easter falls in March - display limit on sign’
This should definitely work. Could you do test it after doing a two-button reset?

Tesla seem to implement things on the basis that on paper, it should work and in the real world, that just doesn’t cut it.
I think you're being disingenuous to the teenage programmers. Some no longer draw on paper & have moved on to screens.
Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 15.57.07.png

One day they may be old enough to drive a car.

Last edited:
Did you go for a drive to test this? It just shows the new speed limit and doesn't change the cruising speed automatically. So it's the current behaviour and new info on the screen. Plus audible alert for speeding works correctly as intended.
Auto speed change does work on mine but like everything Tesla, the stars have to align…
From experience, if you engage AP at the speed limit and that limit is 70, it will change up and down for every other limit.
If you engage AP at current speed or use the scroll wheel, it might drop to a lower speed limit, it won’t go faster than your setting.
If you engage TACC in any way first and then AP, it won’t change at all.

Tried it southbound when it starts just before the exit for Great North Park and it does see them but it changes back to 70 a few seconds later
This bug was already reported. It is defaulting to the speed based on the navigation data instead of waiting to see physical confirmation on the next set of signs. In general, some serious codification of UK highway code is necessary before bringing the FSD beta here.

Auto speed change does work on mine but like everything Tesla, the stars have to align…
From experience, if you engage AP at the speed limit and that limit is 70, it will change up and down for every other limit.
If you engage AP at current speed or use the scroll wheel, it might drop to a lower speed limit, it won’t go faster than your setting.
If you engage TACC in any way first and then AP, it won’t change at all.
Hmm, I don't see this behaviour. For me it would just stay at the speed that was set. The only time it drops is while taking an exit or roundabout and the decrease in 5mph is often quite spot on to my liking.

What Tesla should do is to clearly explain how they intend to use the FSD money and what they are paying for. I consciously bought FSD, knowing it's an investment for a future product that I may or may not benefit from. I saw recent improvements to FSD and the upcoming 10.13 and felt happy that my money was used wisely. Sure, I don't expect everyone to be like me, but at least they could convey the reality and seek funding only from interested folks.
Will you be eligible for the 10.13 update in the U.K.? As far as I can find, it’s for the Beta only...is the U.K. getting beta?

Did you go for a drive to test this? It just shows the new speed limit and doesn't change the cruising speed automatically. So it's the current behaviour and new info on the screen. Plus audible alert for speeding works correctly as intended.

Yes, single carriage way TACC changes to the speed limit. I can find you a video showing it if you want.

New M3 SR uses the new new 79kWh (75kWh) battery pack.
That’s something from the Richard Symons YouTube video of inaccuracies. They have 60kwh batteries

Hmm, I don't see this behaviour. For me it would just stay at the speed that was set. The only time it drops is while taking an exit or roundabout and the decrease in 5mph is often quite spot on to my liking.
I’ve tested this on the A47 near me. Starts as a D/C at 70, becomes two-way at 60, drops to 40 through a village, back to 60, then a D/C at 70 again and so on.
I presume that at a roundabout, you are only in TACC. AP won’t handle them and thus in TACC speed changes just don’t work. If on TACC at 60 in a 60 limit you engage AP with a simple double press, that won’t allow speed changes either.

I’ve tested this on the A47 near me. Starts as a D/C at 70, becomes two-way at 60, drops to 40 through a village, back to 60, then a D/C at 70 again and so on.
I presume that at a roundabout, you are only in TACC. AP won’t handle them and thus in TACC speed changes just don’t work. If on TACC at 60 in a 60 limit you engage AP with a simple double press, that won’t allow speed changes either.
Interesting. This is very confusing indeed but has never happened to me. Are you on EAP or FSD? And can you share the autopilot settings?

Interesting. This is very confusing indeed but has never happened to me. Are you on EAP or FSD? And can you share the autopilot settings?
I’m on FSD. I think the only setting worthy of note is TACC/AP at current speed and I use the long press on the stalk to set at speed limit.
I don’t think any other settings have a bearing but I’ll have a look when it cools down out there!

The rumour is that Tesla is working on a high resolution radar for European market. Once done current FSD owners would be invited to upgrade (not free) then put on a list for beta.
One wonders how Trading Standards might view paid upgrade for something already purchased that is “coming soon”. I didn’t see that any further purchase may be required in the small print

Now that’s interesting. There appears to be some inconsistency between models. TACC won’t change for me but AP will and then I have set AP at the speed limit without engaging TACC first
Just makes it worse really although I may be confusing AP and TACC, I presumed they’d work the same. I know it won’t change up beyond its initial set, ie set it to 40 and it won’t go to 50, but set it at 50 and it will drop to 40 and then return to 50. I have a hunch it also may only change on mapping speed limit changes rather than ones or reads from the road as there’s a stretch of road I know where it works on the one but not on the other which has recently changed and the map is wrong.

But any variability makes it pointless, we shouldn’t need to be second guessing what it will or won’t do.