Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely think something funky (technical term) is going on either with the Tesla app or its widget, leading to sporadic wakeups.

I just randomly woke up, so checked my phone next to my bed like a true Gen Z wannabe and sure enough when I checked TeslaMate it said the car was online and has been for a few seconds. Checking TeslaMate it had been asleep for several hours before that.

So either I just caught it waking up by chance, or my phone did something to wake it up. I hadn’t gone anywhere near the Tesla app, or any EV app for that matter.

Definitely think something funky (technical term) is going on either with the Tesla app or its widget, leading to sporadic wakeups.

I just randomly woke up, so checked my phone next to my bed like a true Gen Z wannabe and sure enough when I checked TeslaMate it said the car was online and has been for a few seconds. Checking TeslaMate it had been asleep for several hours before that.

So either I just caught it waking up by chance, or my phone did something to wake it up. I hadn’t gone anywhere near the Tesla app, or any EV app for that matter.
Mine’s been awake every hour whilst asleep.

I do think it’s app/API related though.

My car is on 20.8 and Tesla app is up to date. I recently switched to Intelligent Octopus, but it seemed to sleep okay last night.
1662445512564.png

Could it be related to that new tyre pressure display in the the app? I wonder if it's background polling the car?

I'm still on 20.8 and don't have the tyre pressure functionality yet - my car is sleeping normally.

We've had multiple customers fix this by turning off Software > Privacy > Data Sharing. Same symptoms, same start time.

During the wake times they measured tremendous amounts of data being uploaded by the car on their router.

We can confirm that changing this setting dramatically improved their sleep times from random 10-45min intervals to non-stop.

I'd definitely give this a shot.

Last edited:
We've had multiple customers fix this by turning off Safety & Security > Data Sharing. Same symptoms, same start time.

During the wake times they measured tremendous amounts of data being uploaded by the car on their router.

We can confirm that changing this setting dramatically improved their sleep times from random 10-45min intervals to non-stop.

Safety & Security where? In the app? In the car? I've not changed any settings in the car recently for this to start happening.

It's not unusual for the car to wake up for 12-13 minutes every so often. IIRC this is the 12v battery check.
It does that without waking up in my experience. It only wakes up to actually recharge it. A 12v maintenance period will be 2-3 hours of wakefulness.

We've had multiple customers fix this by turning off Safety & Security > Data Sharing. Same symptoms, same start time.

I've made the change. I'll see how it goes in an hour.

Safety & Security where? In the app? In the car? I've not changed any settings in the car recently for this to start happening.

It does that without waking up in my experience. It only wakes up to actually recharge it. A 12v maintenance period will be 2-3 hours of wakefulness.
I've gone into the car to change it. It's actually in the Software menu from what I can see.

Reactions: Durzel
Interesting.. will look forward to hearing what you experience.

It is entirely possible that it's got nothing to do with our phones at all, and for those of us who have enabled that (I'm pretty sure I have) that it just happens that Tesla are scraping loads of data from our cars.

For what it's worth, removing the Tesla widget (not the app) from my phone home screen made no difference at all.

Updates have been know to change some settings.
ok it might not be charging the battery, but the 12 minute wakes are fairly common.

Intelligent Octopus maybe?
I’m not on Intelligent. I haven’t changed anything from my side. The only thing I’ve definitely noticed is the car wakes up whenever I approach it, whether or not I actually interact with it. I’m thinking if a phone in the house is on the edges of BT range then it’s causing the car to wake up. It fits with the chart as the regular wake ups stopped around the time I went to bed (bedroom is opposite end of house to driveway) and then started up again when wife got up in the morning. Doesn’t explain the single wake up in the middle of the night, though.

I’m not on Intelligent. I haven’t changed anything from my side. The only thing I’ve definitely noticed is the car wakes up whenever I approach it, whether or not I actually interact with it. I’m thinking if a phone in the house is on the edges of BT range then it’s causing the car to wake up. It fits with the chart as the regular wake ups stopped around the time I went to bed (bedroom is opposite end of house to driveway) and then started up again when wife got up in the morning. Doesn’t explain the single wake up in the middle of the night, though.
The single wake up may just be a normal event. How long did that one last?