Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.36.20 (FSD Beta) ran the red light today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my FSD beta today after a long wait.
Set it to the aggressive options with the expectation that it would be conservative and that I need to compensate for it.
To my surprise, it was pretty aggressive for the most part and survived Houston driving without annoying other drivers much.
Too aggressive to the point that it jumped a red light.
Not complaining, I might have driven the same way, but still was not something I expected.
Hopefully, it took into account other factors that there are no other vehicles and running the light was a better choice than slamming the brakes. But still unsettling.
I'm keeping it still

question - do I report this to tesla, and how?

• Disagree
Reactions: DanCar and CaptUAL
Set it to the aggressive options with the expectation that it would be conservative and that I need to compensate for it.
To my surprise, it was pretty aggressive for the most part and survived Houston driving without annoying other drivers much.
Not complaining, I might have driven the same way, but still was not something I expected.
Hopefully, it took into account other factors that there are no other vehicles and running the light was a better choice than slamming the brakes. But still unsettling.
I'm keeping it still

I wonder what kind of chit storm this will create from the haters

Also earlier today. This is during the first few minutes of enabling FSD.
Came to a stop sign, tesla waited for the other car to move (rightly), but once it started to come, it also proceeded, without waiting for that car to cross the intersection.
Again, I would have done the same thing, knowing that the other car is intending to go straight, but did Tesla consciously make that choice or got confused?
I don't know.

I applied brakes to stop it as soon as it did it, and took control.
So, what should I expect, when my car breaks the same rules I always do? Trust that FSD knows what it's doing (and still be vigilant), or be moral police and report to tesla every instance?

Reactions: APotatoGod
...Trust that FSD knows what it's doing (and still be vigilant)...

When I pay for a machine, I expect it to do better than human and not worse.

Tesla started selling Autopilot since 2014 and FSD since 2016 but No, you should not trust FSD after these 6-8 years. If you do, it might get you into troubles with police or collisions.

Last edited:
It’s a blinkin’ beta. “It may do the worst thing at the wrong time.” YOU clicked through the text saying that.

The beta IS NOT FOR PRIME TIME, and never has been. It’s for testers, period.

Advantage for you: you and your car send data to Tesla so they can improve the product, with the eventual goal that it will be a Prime Time product one of these days. In the meantime, you paid cheap for the future product. Not what you’ve got in the car now. Which is the beta and is full of bugs.

It’s true: the releases have gotten better over time and marginally safer. But they’re not ready for ma and pa sixpack to take a country drive while watching a movie.

Driving with the beta is a stress inducer because it will do things that will kill or injure you or others. And you can’t predict when. I’ve seen it go into disengage and panic on a straight road with no traffic on a sunny day; try to merge into a car on the left at speed; run traffic lights from a dead stop; halt in the middle of a turn in traffic; end up in the wrong lane in a straight-ahead and try to merge, at speed, into traffic in the right lane, and on and on.

On the other hand, from time to time, it’ll rarely drive the car from work to home or vice versa without a single intervention. That last has happened more and more frequently over the past few months. And when it happens to a YouTuber, who gets paid for views, they claim the Release is Ready. Idiots.

None of the above is a surprise. Beyond the dire warnings in the release notes, and they are not kidding, these forums are loaded with tales about how the beta does stuff. In my experience, there’s always been reaction time available to stop the car from doing something stupid. It’s called a “disengagement” when one does so. An average drive of 10 miles has single digits to a dozen of those.

Hence, YOU ran the red light. Because you’re in charge, not the car. You’re a tester, period.

If you don’t like them apples, then contact Tesla and get the beta removed. Others have done so, publicly, for various reasons. Then you can wait with all the other non-thrill seekers for the final product.

I'm keeping it still

I wouldn’t worry about it. That example (video) was pretty normal action. If the light was red before you entered the intersection, it would be a bigger deal. AFAIK, there is no way to report it to Tesla, unlikely they would care anyway.

Reactions: yser
I have seen similar behaviors since 10.69.2.4, when it is too late to brake for yellow/red, instead of hard braking, it ran it. It's unnerving when it tries to make an unprotected left turn into my neighborhood, once it slows down in the middle and when the traffic from the right about/barely passed my car, it starts moving, a little aggressive to my taste, but it made it.

Reactions: yser
Being red/green color "dense" (not quite "blind"), I've always wondered about how many people (and machines) are challenged by traffic lights that are oriented horizontally instead of vertically. I have to really pay attention to those.

Could FSBb be looking at position instead of color?

Being red/green color "dense" (not quite "blind"), I've always wondered about how many people (and machines) are challenged by traffic lights that are oriented horizontally instead of vertically. I have to really pay attention to those.

Could FSBb be looking at position instead of color?
I'm pretty sure it sees things alright, the visualizations it shows has always been right so far. I think its a question of judgement about how to act, and to be fair, i have set it at most aggressive level.

I'm keeping it still

I like how you just let it happen instead of hitting the brakes lol

Reactions: Electricfan
It was red before I entered. you can see that it changes from green to yellow, and then to red 2 seconds before I enter the intersection
Yep, you're right, I missed that change. Yellow and red are identical color in the video, and I missed the switch to the left (we do not have any horizontal traffic lights here). Still not that big of a deal though (IMO). I probably would have scooted through that one myself.

..... I probably would have scooted through that one myself.
That is not "scooting through" a near red. It is not even close to being in the intersection when the light changes to red. Also shame on the OP for ALLOWING that to happen. This is why we are supposed to be in control and ready to talk over at all times. If there were NO other cars at the intersection it may be excused as a "test" but endangering others by running red lights is unacceptable.

What if the Honda??? had turned into the far lane. The OP might have T-Boned them.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 4.10.30 PM.png

This is why we are supposed to be in control and ready to talk over at all times. If there were NO other cars at the intersection it may be excused as a "test" but endangering others by running red lights is unacceptable.
Point noted. I was ready to take over, in this case, I would have slammed the brakes if the other car moved into my lane, the speed limit on that road was 35, and I was at 40, manageable enough to act at short notice. I hadn't checked if cars were following me, so my first instinct was to let it go. I did disengage several other times but accept fault/responsibility in this case.