Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Austin Model Y vs 2021 Fremont Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You already have 2 great cars but the versatility is hard to beat of the MY. Who knows we may drive it to the end of its life. If not, I don't think it will be too hard to sell, even in a year or so.

As for the refreshed S Long Range + the MY LR was an easier sell than a Plaid. God bless my wife! Sort of like a 2 for 1. While I would like the Plaid, I don't need the Plaid. I have some ultra fast sportbikes and what I've learned is there are very few times I can really open them up and then I risk going to jail for a long time. I don't live at a track so the MS LR is a great option for fun, everyday, streetable performance. Just like the M3 performance would have been.

Good luck with the sale of your M3. All Teslas seem to go quickly on the used market here, hope it as good for you!

Reactions: Arctic_White
OP here. This is a fun thread to guess the characteristics of the 2022 Model Y Long Range coming from Austin, likely in March. From Post #1 back in February, we have:
1) 400 Mile range due to new 4680 battery cells. Tesla, Panasonic, and LG are all making these in 2022, battery pack will last a million miles.
2) Stiffer more rigid body, due to body castings in both front and rear, like the Berlin Model Y.
3) Lighter weight by several hundred pounds, due to the 4680 battery pack replacing part of the metal structure
4) More comfortable suspension and faster acceleration and longer range, due to lighter weight.
5) High-end gaming from AMD GPU chip, same chip as Model S/X is getting now.

Looks like #2 is confirmed, and #5 (AMD Ryzen, not necessarily gaming) is now confirmed for China Model Y Performance. The China Y Performance also has:
6) 12V Lithium battery (replaces lead-acid battery, more reliable and lasts years longer)
7) Dual-pane windows in front *and* rear.

Other possibilities include:
HW4 FSD computer, new colors, more comfortable suspension components, structural battery pack with 2170s instead of 4680s, new matrix LED headlights, larger screen, etc.

I elected to not wait for an Austin built vehicle, and can tell you this: a stiffer body may not be better. The ride, at least by bumpy Toronto road standards, is already quite firm on 19" wheels. I would have gone to 18" if the solution was more obvious. I don't know enough about car bodies to really know but I would be concerned with any changes that make the ride harsher.

Reactions: DanDi58
Going to rent a Model X for a trip to PA around Xmas before ordering a new MYLR. Just need to experience the difference. Hard to justify the $$$ increase but I'd always wonder so...! Loved the MYLR I just picked up and sold after one month but the quote from CarMax was just too good. Had pushed the original delivery out twice to see if I could get an Austin build but finally took delivery to find out what all the hype was all about. I get it and I'm in - lol! I read (maybe not fact, just opinion) that Tesla may be adding Air Suspension to the MY along with Front and Read case frame, that would be worth waiting for IMHO.

I elected to not wait for an Austin built vehicle, and can tell you this: a stiffer body may not be better. The ride, at least by bumpy Toronto road standards, is already quite firm on 19" wheels. I would have gone to 18" if the solution was more obvious. I don't know enough about car bodies to really know but I would be concerned with any changes that make the ride harsher.
body stiffness has nothing to do with ride comfort. if the car body flexes enough over a bumpy road to absorb road vibrations/ bumps... you have serious issues with that vehicle and it wont last long

Yup. Think about the big glass panaramic roof. Significant flexing will lead to it cracking.

body stiffness has nothing to do with ride comfort. if the car body flexes enough over a bumpy road to absorb road vibrations/ bumps... you have serious issues with that vehicle and it wont last long
There are no advantages to a flaccid frame.

Reactions: CyberGus
Is this an issue with current Model Y?
All vehicles derive additional stiffness from glass secured to a large opening. AFAIK this does not risk damage to the glass except during inelastic collisions.

Some DeLoreans got a shattered windshield from jacking-up a front corner, which torsions the fiberglass frame. The glass cracked not from flexing, but from interference with a nearby piece of steel.

It doesn't make sense to me that Tesla would build two completely different Model Ys within Austin and Fremont. How would that look like at point of sale? would you just order a Model Y and wait to see if you are lucky to get the updated one with superior battery/performance or get the "lousy" Fremont build. Something doesn't sound right about that..
My guess is that there are three model Ys in the US you might get if ordering or taking delivery soon.
1) 2021 Model Y from Fremont - probably demo cars.
2) 2022 Model Y from Fremont built between Nov1 and Jan31. Mostly the same as the 2021, maybe updated rear dual-pane glass and AMD Ryzen chip and Lithium 12V battery, like the current MYP in China.
3) 2022 Model Y from Fremont AND Austin, built after Feb1. Structural battery pack (of 2170s or 4680s), front and rear body castings, and other changes.

I don't believe that Austin will have better tech than Fremont, I think Fremont is already updating now to match Austin, and when Austin Y goes into production, Fremont Y line will close for a few weeks to match the Austin tech.

2) 2022 Model Y from Fremont built between Nov1 and Jan31. Mostly the same as the 2021, maybe updated rear dual-pane glass and AMD Ryzen chip and Lithium 12V battery, like the current MYP in China.
3) 2022 Model Y from Fremont AND Austin, built after Feb1. Structural battery pack (of 2170s or 4680s), front and rear body castings, and other changes

Where did you come up with the Jan 31 and Feb 1 date? Would be nice if it’s Dec 31 and Jan 1 😃

Reactions: Cyberspeed
It doesn't make sense to me that Tesla would build two completely different Model Ys within Austin and Fremont. How would that look like at point of sale? would you just order a Model Y and wait to see if you are lucky to get the updated one with superior battery/performance or get the "lousy" Fremont build. Something doesn't sound right about that..
The California paint shop can never be as good as the one in Texas. So while build quality may be on par, paint never will.

That makes a “made in Austin” model the clear winner for me.

The California paint shop can never be as good as the one in Texas. So while build quality may be on par, paint never will.

That makes a “made in Austin” model the clear winner for me.
Maybe the MIT MY's won't need PPF as much...

I am so glad I did the front of mine before I drove it much. Would be nice to have a car you don't have to worry about taking it to the car wash and having the paint destroyed.