Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RCC EUROPE departed Singapore with an ETA of 08 Jun for Suez which as I said last night was to be expected.
She could however still make Southampton on 17 Jun.

CARRERA has departed to Japan but I wonder if she is carrying more Teslas. A 2nd shipment to Japan is unusual but worth watching for. Anyway she's off the tracking list.

I'm still failing to identify a final ship to EU this quarter. ARC COMMITTMENT is probably our last hope....

Do Tesla's load at the main RoRo terminal too or is it always Shanghai south?

RCC EUROPE departed Singapore with an ETA of 08 Jun for Suez which as I said last night was to be expected.
She could however still make Southampton on 17 Jun.

CARRERA has departed to Japan but I wonder if she is carrying more Teslas. A 2nd shipment to Japan is unusual but worth watching for. Anyway she's off the tracking list.

I'm still failing to identify a final ship to EU this quarter. ARC COMMITTMENT is probably our last hope....
Thanks as always MR M 👍 Looks like ARC COMMITTMENT is a big lady, thus also assuming could fit a few more Tesla's on her 😉 if she indeed will be carrying any that is! 🤞

PULAU TIOMAN arrived a couple days ago to Japan carrying LR orders up til 3/15 and SR orders up til 2/27..
VINs received around 5/15 -> ship left Shanghai 5/20 -> arrived 5/24 -> delivery dates around 6/15

Next batch of SR orders from end of Feb onwards are still waiting for our VIN however CARRERA has already departed Shanghai to Japan so I also don't think it's carrying any of our Teslas..

That boat can make it to the end of the month. If it goes to Koper it even will have time to move vehicles to other countries.
I would not be surprised though, if they set up a camp zone near the port and ask people to go there to pick up the cars, MR M mentioned they did this once, and this time might be another time to do it, to have sells before the end of the month.
Can’t do that because then you are buying your car in another country only to have to import it into yours.

The other example was cars shipping to the port of Amsterdam for the Dutch market to be picked up straight from the dock. This had to do with end of year sales to remain within a certain tax ruling for EV’s that was changing per 1/1 the next year.

Reactions: crisredfi
In Feb 19 the GOLDEN RAY docked at Pier 80 and loaded its precious Tesla cargo and departed for China.
This was a comparatively new ship entering service in 2017, benefitting from a modern bridge and all the advantages that modern computer technology can bring. Although like many other pure vehicle carriers she was 200 metres long she was a bit wider at just over 35 metres. That extra width allowed her to carry up to 7700 cars. She left Pier 80 on 13 Feb 19 and arrived safely in Shanghai on 1 Mar 19. So what? The point is look what happened to this modern ship just 6 months later....

On 8 Sep 19 the GOLDEN RAY was leaving Brunswick, Georgia en route to Baltimore. She had onboard about 4500 Kia and Hyundai cars and as she entered the Atlantic she started to list. In an action reminscent of the HOEGH OSAKA incident in the Solent in Jan 2015, the local pilot immediately steered the vessel towards shallow water to prevent a total capsize. 23 crew members were rescued unharmed although for 3 of them trapped in the engine room with an uncontrolled fire it was a close run thing. The HOEGH OSAKA was refloated by the salvage company, subsequently repaired and quickly returned to service. That's not the case with the GOLDEN RAY - she had to be totally dismantled in situ in a salvage operation that would take 2 years to complete at enormous cost.

The US NTSB report into the GOLDEN RAY accident and the UK Maritime Accident Investigation Branch report on the HOEGH OSAKA incident make interesting reading. Additionally I think it was @XHabjab who posted a link to an interesting article on the salvaging of GOLDEN RAY.

Vehicle carriers do not have a good safety record. The accidents and incidents can be largely grouped into 2 different cause groups - Fire and Instability.

Let’s look at fires first of all. 6 major fires since January 2019 that I am aware of:

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died
March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay
May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.
June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.
June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days and was a total loss. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?
February 2022 FELICITY ACE caught fire south of the Azores. Everyone onboard was rescued but the ship completely burnt out and later sank. Needless to say EV batteries were given as to the reason why the fire could not be extinguished.

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla!

The other major issue with these ships is their stability or rather, potential instability. Generally there are 2 reasons for stability issues the first of which is water ingress and the second is failing to ballast or trim the vessel properly. Occasionally the latter leads to the former.

Typing the following incidents into a search engine will produce an eye-opening read.

Dec 02 TRICOLOR Enroute from Zeebrugge to Southampton sank following collision. Notoriously hit twice more by 2 different vessels.
Jul 06 COUGAR ACE Developed a severe list
Dec 12 BALTIC ACE 11 died following a collision
Jan 15 HOEGH OSAKA Developed a severe list
Jan 16 MODERN EXPRESS Severe list
Sep 19 GOLDEN RAY Capsized
Sep 21 IVAN Partially sinks whilst loading in Algiers. 1 killed
Fascinatic stuff. Way back in the day my co workers and I would be addicted to the Cargolaw.com website. Seems this hasn’t been updated since 2012 though.

Brilliant! Thanks for the updates on RCC EUROPE this morning Mr M and RPA335

Just checking in with the info I have and it looks like she has just this moment officially left the Singapore boundary.

1653638511533.png

Analysing her captain's 'right foot', looks like he isn't afraid of speed.

1653638623966.png

From Shanghai to Singapore the nutter, at times, touched 19 kts. Lets hope he doesn't roll the RORO turning out of the Malacca Strait.

However, according to the London Stock Exchange shipping tracker, at a more sensible 18 kts, could indeed make it to Suez Late GMT on 7th June (11.69 days from now)... If ever there was a boat that could make a dash, it's RCC EUROPE, and it's clear the captain drives a BMW and isn't afraid of speed cameras.

Over to @Frizzy and the awesome google tracker + and....

@Mr Miserable and the 9'oclock news!
Sorry guys, it's Friday, and couldn't help it.

1653640373058.png

Cheers guys very exciting.

Last edited:
He turned starboard!

Just checking in with the info I have and it looks like she has just this moment officially left the Singapore boundary.

View attachment 809337

View attachment 809338

From Shanghai to Singapore the nutter, at times, touched 19 kts. Lets hope he doesn't roll the RORO turning out of the Malacca Strait.

However, according to the London Stock Exchange shipping tracker, at a more sensible 18 kts, could indeed make it to Suez Late GMT on 7th June (11.69 days from now)... If ever there was a boat that could make a dash, it's RCC EUROPE, and it's clear the captain drives a BMW and isn't afraid of speed cameras.

Over to @Frizzy and the awesome google tracker + and Mr Miserable and the 9'oclock news!

Cheers Snowy77. That's what we want. A captain with a lead right foot who's not afraid to use it!

• Funny
Reactions: Snowy77

So as I was saying yesterday, if this story is true and they are shipping RHD Berlin made MYP to Israel, how long can it be before we start to see them shipped to GB?
Ooooh the Black one in that pic looks way S3XY! Wish they'd send some this way! 🙄

View attachment 809337

View attachment 809338

Over to @Frizzy and the awesome google tracker + and....

Mr Miserable and the 9'oclock news!
Sorry guys, it's Friday, and couldn't help it.

View attachment 809341

Sounds like he paid for the £1500 speed boost while suckling in Singapore.

@Mr Miserable - A couple of assumptions here for when my bus eventually gets made: firstly expecting it to come from Berlin; secondly on a boat from Bremerhaven. If those are correct how long does it take for a boat to get from Bremerhaven to Southampton 🤔
I can probably answer that with my shipping calc....

A stright run at 16kts looks to take 1.23 days. If it left now, It'd arrive around 1600 GMT tomorrow.

1653643303643.png

Last edited:
When do we expect the VINs of the cars on the Theben to be communicated ?
The VINS allocated so far are only for the cars on the Glovis Splendor ?
Nobody knows which ship (or ships) VINs have been pre-allocated from yet.

I'm finding it hard to believe that my own pre-allocation is from any other ship than RCC EUROPE given Mr M's shipping updates and expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.