Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is interesting about this video is that they are parking the cars the opposite way to the way they are loaded on a ship. On a ship the driver will generally get out on the offside allowing the cars to be parked closer together without the risk of damage from doors opening/closing. The cars are parked either clockwise (RHD) or anti-clockwise (LHD). The distance between cars will have been specified by Tesla and the loading plan will be based on this. Each car will be lashed down to the deck at each wheel. In the unlikely event of a lashing breaking in heavy weather, the car will not be able to move much because it is hemmed in by others. OK the surrounding cars will be damaged but nothing like the damage that could be caused by a completely loose car which could also endanger the ship's hull or ship's systems. Individual vehicles are not accessible at sea because they are so tightly packed together. The only accessible vehicles will be the marked key cars - the cars that must be moved first to unzip the rest.
Not necessarily true as certainly at Nissan sunderland LHD vehicles were always exited via drivers door otherwise a right old pain to shuffle over gear stick/ tunnel and the size of some of our drivers would have made it almost physically impossible.
Question
Are bus drivers so large because of the job or is it that the only job they can get is a sedentary one.
chicken or egg I guess

What is interesting about this video is that they are parking the cars the opposite way to the way they are loaded on a ship. On a ship the driver will generally get out on the offside allowing the cars to be parked closer together without the risk of damage from doors opening/closing. The cars are parked either clockwise (RHD) or anti-clockwise (LHD). The distance between cars will have been specified by Tesla and the loading plan will be based on this. Each car will be lashed down to the deck at each wheel. In the unlikely event of a lashing breaking in heavy weather, the car will not be able to move much because it is hemmed in by others. OK the surrounding cars will be damaged but nothing like the damage that could be caused by a completely loose car which could also endanger the ship's hull or ship's systems. Individual vehicles are not accessible at sea because they are so tightly packed together. The only accessible vehicles will be the marked key cars - the cars that must be moved first to unzip the rest.

Not necessarily true as certainly at Nissan sunderland LHD vehicles were always exited via drivers door otherwise a right old pain to shuffle over gear stick/ tunnel and the size of some of our drivers would have made it almost physically impossible.
Question
Are bus drivers so large because of the job or is it that the only job they can get is a sedentary one.
chicken or egg I guess
I'm not suggesting they get out of the passenger door - they get out using the driver's door.

Tuesday 05 Jul 22

There are still no signs of any ships heading to Europe/UK yet.
LIBERTY ACE departed the Haitong terminal for Singapore and joins my watch list but otherwise it remains quiet.
As expected MORNING LINDA is on her way in to load at the Haitong terminal. She was originally scheduled to route direct to Drammen, Norway which would have been highly unusual however her itinerary has now been revised in that she will still head to Drammen but now via a stop in Masan, Korea to load more vehicles. Additionally an unloading stop in Antwerp has been added. It all adds up to her being a pretty unlikely candidate for being a Tesla vessel.

The Shanghai GF should now be producing Model 3 only until July 18 at which point MY production will resume and M3 production will be suspended until Aug 6.

The cars are a mixture of RHD and LHD. This can be seen when blown up on a 4k monitor. RHD would likely be for Australia, Japan, etc It seems to be RHDs being put onto the loaders. I wonder what ship is due soon to load them on. PAGANELLA maybe?
Definately Paganella, got my final invoice today, build date 29/6/22, m3 RWD in red, EDD 5 to 19 August. Then the Aussie bound Morning Crystal is collecting the Australian half of the batch. Paganella arrived Shanghai anchorage today.

Tuesday 05 Jul 22

The Shanghai GF should now be producing Model 3 only until July 18 at which point MY production will resume and M3 production will be suspended until Aug 6.
Do you also have background info on colors? It seems they are doubling down on only black or white ones which is a bit annoying given that the other colors are actually more expensive.

Wednesday 06 Jul 22

As far as I can tell there are at present no 'Tesla ships' enroute to the UK/EU from Shanghai.

Currently loading, or about to load, are MORNING LINDA, MORNING LADY and TRAVIATA all of which I have already classified as being unlikely to be Tesla ships.

The only ship identified so far as being very likely to be a Tesla ship is MORNING CHORUS, which won't commence loading at Shanghai South until 13 Jul and is due arrive in Southampton around 12 Aug, before heading to Zeebrugge.

There are currently 3 ships on my watch list because their final destinations have not been determined: LEO SPIRIT, POSEIDON LEADER and LIBERTY ACE, all of which are currently heading for Singapore. I am pretty confident that LEO SPIRIT is bound for Europe, probably Zeebrugge, but that does not mean she is carrying Teslas.

The wait continues.....

I used to work on the docks in Ireland and one time on the main deck of one of these ships where they keep heavy machinery they forgot to lash an excavator. Absolute carnage.

Used to absolutely hate having to do the lashings. On the cars it was annoying cause there were so many and on the machinery it was fairly dangerous as they were steel and you’d need to move the machine forward and back to loosen them. The fumes were horrendous even with the fans on.

So it would be logical to think that the first (and maybe second, third....) ships to the UK will be 100% M3
Tuesday 05 Jul 22

There are still no signs of any ships heading to Europe/UK yet.
LIBERTY ACE departed the Haitong terminal for Singapore and joins my watch list but otherwise it remains quiet.
As expected MORNING LINDA is on her way in to load at the Haitong terminal. She was originally scheduled to route direct to Drammen, Norway which would have been highly unusual however her itinerary has now been revised in that she will still head to Drammen but now via a stop in Masan, Korea to load more vehicles. Additionally an unloading stop in Antwerp has been added. It all adds up to her being a pretty unlikely candidate for being a Tesla vessel.

Just imagine if June wasn’t an abnormal Tesla month…they ain’t seen noting yet, lol

Attachments

• 5E87BD5F-3328-4EDF-A23C-A90F4C52CB62.jpeg
    5E87BD5F-3328-4EDF-A23C-A90F4C52CB62.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 126
Just imagine if June wasn’t an abnormal Tesla month…they ain’t seen noting yet, lol
even on an abnormal month all the sales for the quarter are crammed into one month which always makes that month look good. The last two months would have looked a little different.
I have lost count of the number of quarter end poorly researched "news" articles I have seen saying "Tesla Dominates Sales" followed by one the next month saying "Tesla Sales Collapse in <insert country here>"

Status
Not open for further replies.