Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this has got to be one of the most useful updates so far. As I am getting on a bit the bigger fonts are a massive improvement with no downsides as far as I can see 😉. Got to say why wasn't it like this in the first place but hey ho. The other changes are all good too. Not found any bugs yet, it even let me into the car straight away without arguing about who I was.

Well done Tesla.

when will this update be available for wide release??

I have it, and TeslaFi thinks its happening ...

TeslaFiUpdates02.gif

Got it yesterday, LH thumbwheel for fan speed & thumbwheel phone controls are useful additions. I don't have a problem with text sizing but may play around with this at some point.

Still unable to resume USB music/last played. This is very annoying as it used to work perfectly well back in 2022.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Finally, I can call people using the phone! The voice recognition is working so much better. It's also good to be able to mute and cancel the call using the scroll wheel.
Additionally, changing the wipers speed using the scroll wheel is a bonus that can be used when auto function isn't behaving correctly.

Reactions: Adopado
Finally, I can call people using the phone! The voice recognition is working so much better. It's also good to be able to mute and cancel the call using the scroll wheel.
Additionally, changing the wipers speed using the scroll wheel is a bonus that can be used when auto function isn't behaving correctly.
I’m also impressed by voice recognition. Local places that were never ever recognised are suddenly being recognised first time

I’ve not noticed any difference with voice control. For some obscure reason, the text it puts in the screen showing what it thinks you’ve said can be wrong but it’s understood you, or can be exactly what you’ve said, and it have no clue what you mean even when it’s logical.

That’s not unique to to tesla though.

There is a prominent tech YouTuber whose wife is called Yvonne Ho. When ever he asks google assistant to ‘call Yvonne Ho’ the text come up correctly but then it responds ‘I’m sorry we do not have a number for ‘Yvonne home’. That’s despite him having his wife programmed in his local address book as ‘Yvonne Ho’ (who uses landlines these days!?).

Compared to things like ChatGPT, the voice assistants deployed in actual products are steaming piles of excrement and always have been.

Compared to things like ChatGPT

Me: call Yvonne Ho

ChatGPT : I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I don't have the ability to make phone calls. My capabilities are limited to text-based communication only. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

🤩

Text eh? Okay ...

Me: Send a text to Yvonne Ho

ChatGPT : I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I don't have access to your personal contacts or phone. If you would like to send a text message to Yvonne Ho, please use your phone or messaging app to do so

🤩🤩

That makes even less sense (I’m not saying you’re wrong, and maybe others are the same). . As an ex tech I’d have tried to reconcile what’s heard to create a command, if it kept displaying “Phone Yvonne home” I’d have understood that’s the command it wants to do. What they seem to be doing is hearing the request accurately and then deciding they know better only to find there’s no suitable command or contact. It’s pretty basic to look for Yvonne Ho in contacts, then if that fails look for Yvonne, Home. But no… let’s have logic where you can say buthole and the car knows what you mean but not apply some basic logic to resolve commands it’s heard correctly. Style over substance again.

Does it still also change text on screen when it tries to interpret incorrectly what you say.

Not unusual to try something like (not a real example)

Say “Turn fan on”
As speak, display “turn fan on”
Then in front of eyes changes to “turn fan off”

At which point it says fan is already off!

• Funny
Reactions: Cnixon
That makes even less sense (I’m not saying you’re wrong, and maybe others are the same). . As an ex tech I’d have tried to reconcile what’s heard to create a command, if it kept displaying “Phone Yvonne home” I’d have understood that’s the command it wants to do. What they seem to be doing is hearing the request accurately and then deciding they know better only to find there’s no suitable command or contact. It’s pretty basic to look for Yvonne Ho in contacts, then if that fails look for Yvonne, Home. But no… let’s have logic where you can say buthole and the car knows what you mean but not apply some basic logic to resolve commands it’s heard correctly. Style over substance again.
The guy complains about it almost weekly on his podcast when discussing anything AI related so I’m sure his not making it up.

They are often trying to be ‘too clever’ for their own good and try to interpret what you have said and assume they didn’t catch everything rather than actually looking at what they did capture first. They also often ignore what is locally stored on the device.

Windows search/cortana is an absolute nightmare for this. It will go to bing before even bothering to look what’s actually on your local computer. Completely useless.

I pretty much just ignore Siri, nice tech demo when it came out however many years ago but I’ve yet to find anything useful for any of them. You can almost always do what you need to do faster by just putting out your phone.

Edit: I should add that a car is probably the best use case to date as getting out your home isn’t an option but a lot of that could be mitigated by giving us a few more buttons. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: pow216 and M00cow
The guy complains about it almost weekly on his podcast when discussing anything AI related so I’m sure his not making it up.

They are often trying to be ‘too clever’ for their own good and try to interpret what you have said and assume they didn’t catch everything rather than actually looking at what they did capture first. They also often ignore what is locally stored on the device.

Windows search/cortana is an absolute nightmare for this. It will go to bing before even bothering to look what’s actually on your local computer. Completely useless.

I pretty much just ignore Siri, nice tech demo when it came out however many years ago but I’ve yet to find anything useful for any of them. You can almost always do what you need to do faster by just putting out your phone.

Edit: I should add that a car is probably the best use case to date as getting out your home isn’t an option but a lot of that could be mitigated by giving us a few more buttons. ;)

This is what I don't get about voice control - it's like it has no context that you are in a car and there are specific limited options that are relevant to the situation. Windows Cortana does the exact same thing - ignores the context of where you are running the search or command.

Of course I don't want to call someone NOT in my address book with potentially rare exceptions, so don't don't go looking for Pizza, I said LISA!

And I don't want to delist front sunscreen - I would only want to deMIST front WINDscreen because it's a valid thing to do when I am in a car.