Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.2 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
There is discussion about removing the window roll up feature due to national safety guidelines for those cars that still have it functional. This is a feature I use and appreciate often and losing it will be painful. I want to validate anyone who gets this update with a 2021 model doesn’t lose this feature. Some 2022 and 2023 models do not have this feature any longer from my understanding.

Thanks in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
There is discussion about removing the window roll up feature due to national safety guidelines for those cars that still have it functional. This is a feature I use and appreciate often and losing it will be painful. I want to validate anyone who gets this update with a 2021 model doesn’t lose this feature. Some 2022 and 2023 models do not have this feature any longer from my understanding.

Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by "removing the window roll-up feature"?

What do you mean by "removing the window roll-up feature"?
tesla-service-window.jpg

This looks like unattended window roll-up? No? This does not look like it applies to normal use of one button auto roll up.
Correct. So closing windows from the app or more importantly, the ability to auto close windows upon walk away/lock is getting removed from the rest who currently still have access to it at some point.

Sucks as I thought the auto-roll up feature when sensing rain was a cool idea that EM proposed. Apparently, a thief or small child left in the car unattended could be potentially slightly injured by this feature.

If the pinch sensor worked, and met the guidelines which is what provoked this in the first place, then they should allow this feature and change the ruling/regulation.

Reactions: Pianewman
This is absolutely insane. Are they forcing all car manufacturers to do this?
This is not an issue if your vehicle doesn't get updates the way Teslas are updated...so only Teslas will be inconvenienced
Correct. So closing windows from the app or more importantly, the ability to auto close windows upon walk away/lock is getting removed from the rest who currently still have access to it at some point.

Sucks as I thought the auto-roll up feature when sensing rain was a cool idea that EM proposed. Apparently, a thief or small child left in the car unattended could be potentially slightly injured by this feature.

If the pinch sensor worked, and met the guidelines which is what provoked this in the first place, then they should allow this feature and change the ruling/regulation.
so perhaps I should not update my car any time soon. That would keep the window situation as it is......correct?

As I read more into this, it’s a safety issue with automatic reverse windows with an object or fingers are in the way. Apparently this has been going on for years and Tesla never fixed the issue. They highway safety finally came down on them last year.
Right but the NHSA (?) indicated there are parameters in their regulations indicating there has to be physical driver input within x distance for the roll up feature. Basically if you’re within a child’s stones throw, you can possibly do it but not further.

If NHTSA is worried about something getting caught between the window and frame, it would seem to me that Tesla's have less of an issue based on camera placement. Using both the inner and outer cameras the car could determine if something was close enough to get pinched.

With any other car manufacturer, new regulations would only affect new cars.

You could have a 5yr old Tesla and still get affected though. Of course you could simply not update. I played that game for 6 months to keep radar (closer following distance, faster max ap speed, see through fog, etc)
Eventually relented. At some point you may be concerned about voiding you warranty by not updating or they may just add too many new things that the pluses outweigh the negatives.

Having a Tesla is a unique experience in that you get new features and also lose features (generally the good outweighs the bad though)...I remember when your passenger could play solitaire while you drove and when you could have your car play custom sounds while you drove too. All gone now

I just updated to 2023.2.10 and still have windows close on lock and vent from app. I did notice one difference - while in dog mode, a driver needs to be validated by touching the brake pedal in order to control windows. I returned to my car while in dog mode, and it gave me this alert when I tried to roll down my window before pressing the brake pedal. Fine with me.

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
The older cars will retain it in the app because they can't remove a feature you "paid" for. My friend's 2020 M3P still has it, while my 2022 MYP doesn't.

I don't believe this feature was "removed" from anyone's car, they just stopped offering it in 2022 on the vehicles they were shipping out.

Can anyone actually confirm they had the feature, and no longer do? I don't believe that is occurring here.