Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This not possible with the cameras where they are. Cars that have this have cameras all the way round the vehicle aimed mainly at the floor. Teslas have blind spots close in with all the cameras aimed at distance for FSD etc.

You can scream for it all you like but you might as well scream for them to make it fly.
I posted recently in the thread below about stitching & filling in spaces which aren't covered by cameras so it is 100% possible to do without having cameras pointed everywhere. The Vauxhall/Opel/Stellantis implementation (second video in the post) uses purely the rear camera to fill in the sides.

I noticed Ashdeman posted in another thread an extra feature, so googled a bit and found….

Custom Lock Sounds
Replace the horn lock sound of your vehicle with another sound—like a screaming goat 🐐

High Fidelity Park Assist
See a 3D reconstruction of your surroundings while parking

View attachment 997505

This last feature will be “interesting” based on my experience of Vision parking. But is one of the few updates I’m genuinely after and think could be worthwhile.
As much as “custom lock sounds” might not appear to be that interesting, I think it might actually portend something else.

It‘s been speculated that Tesla would like to move into the APP STORE type of revenue model for MRR to boost valuation and margin. Actually putting in an APP store is fairly complicated and risky, especially for a product like a moving motor vehicle.

Years before we had APP stores on smartphones, one of the primary incremental revenue items in the mobile phone market, were RINGTONES. Sold by third parties, mobile phone providers, carriers, etc. High margin, low cost, low risk. People could buy individual items, packs with multiple or have custom ringtones created.

This might just be Teslas way of dipping their toe into a makers market or third party market for adding tones/sounds/chimes to cars in a way that is lower risk, while gaining some insight into usage, demand and revenue management. Before going full Monty into APP STORE.

Or, it’s just some engineers pet project that Elon green lit. Either way, I’m eager to be able to someday have Hal tell me “there’s a message for you Dave” when I have incoming texts.

This might just be Teslas way of dipping their toe into a makers market or third party market for adding tones/sounds/chimes to cars in a way that is lower risk, while gaining some insight into usage, demand and revenue management. Before going full Monty into APP STORE.
Remember how we used to pay for ringtones on our phones 20 years ago!
I hope nobody's stupid enough to do this again with a car lock sound in 2024...

Apple Podcasts and speed camera warnings (if it actually works and is as accurate as Waze) are game changers. For the first time I won’t be pining for CarPlay.

Fair play, after a year of underwhelming updates this is actually really good 👏
Agreed - you can use Spotify or Tune-in for podcasts but Tune-in is total crap and Spotify requires and additional subscription fee and is still inferior to Apple's app.

I'm obviously too old because I'm just looking forward to changing it to a mild beep rather than a horn. Zero interest in comedy lock sounds. I don't imagine it's going to be configurable so you can turn it off between certain hours of the day (the current one isn't), but here's hoping.
Apparently you will be able to upload your own sound file (max 1mb and in .WAV format 🤷‍♂️)

Reactions: WilburT
As much as “custom lock sounds” might not appear to be that interesting, I think it might actually portend something else.

It‘s been speculated that Tesla would like to move into the APP STORE type of revenue model for MRR to boost valuation and margin. Actually putting in an APP store is fairly complicated and risky, especially for a product like a moving motor vehicle.

Years before we had APP stores on smartphones, one of the primary incremental revenue items in the mobile phone market, were RINGTONES. Sold by third parties, mobile phone providers, carriers, etc. High margin, low cost, low risk. People could buy individual items, packs with multiple or have custom ringtones created.

Or, it’s just some engineers pet project that Elon green lit. Either way, I’m eager to be able to someday have Hal tell me “there’s a message for you Dave” when I have incoming texts.
Replied to another post but apparently you will be able to upload your own sound file to use - so not about revenue from folk buying ringtones I guess.

Reactions: Durzel
If Musk doesn't put this in a menu titled "Jumping the shark", he truly has no sense of humour

1702060101353.png

A couple of these are really exciting for me. Speed cameras on nav means no longer running my phone nav in parallel and being able to use the trip planner in the mobile app would be a fantastic upgrade. Especially if driving in convoy with someone/meeting people, I want to see in advance where and when my car wants to charge so I can re-direct it if for example I'm with a non-tesla electric car and it needs to be a Supercharger at a services where they can charge too