Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2023 Y on 11/23/22. The software running on my car is 2022.4.100. I do not have summon or auto park. I spoke to someone in service and they said these features relied on the sensors, which are no longer included on the 2023 model 3 and Y vehicles. They said Tesla is working on updating the code to use the cameras instead and that there is no ETA on when the new code will be available. What’s sucks is that my friends who have FSD on the 2022 and earlier versions, just received a software update that enabled full FSD. They are raving about it and I’m super pissed that my 2023 model is lacking this functionality, which service said is also in development.

I took delivery of my 2023 Y on 11/23/22. The software running on my car is 2022.4.100. I do not have summon or auto park. I spoke to someone in service and they said these features relied on the sensors, which are no longer included on the 2023 model 3 and Y vehicles. They said Tesla is working on updating the code to use the cameras instead and that there is no ETA on when the new code will be available. What’s sucks is that my friends who have FSD on the 2022 and earlier versions, just received a software update that enabled full FSD. They are raving about it and I’m super pissed that my 2023 model is lacking this functionality, which service said is also in development.
I just picked up mine yesterday. I paid for enhanced auto pilot only to find out I can't use it.

Multiple times on my trip today I got notifications that the parking sensors were obstructed because of the light snow that wasn't even sticking to the road. But yet my cameras were just fine. Neither are perfect in all conditions.
I’m fine with the cameras replacing the uss, but they should have waited till software was ready.

The problem is we all fanboy and still accept their cars, so they will just keeping doing moves like this.

Reactions: jeewee3000
I’m fine with the cameras replacing the uss, but they should have waited till software was ready.

The problem is we all fanboy and still accept their cars, so they will just keeping doing moves like this.
For this particular case, they were going to remove it regardless of if there was a software solution lined up, given this time there is a shortage (see link below). It's that or not delivering cars, and most automakers choose delivering cars.
Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

Datapoint: picked up my new model Y two days ago and it came without USS.

There is no proximity alert for objects when parking whatsoever. When reversing it's fine 'cause the cameras grant you full visiblity, but when parking forward (in narrow spots) it is just praying you don't hit anything.

I hope they restore this functionality VERY soon, like in before the end of the year. It's my only nitpick with the car as of now. Anyone know of rumors from the Tesla AI team on when this feature will make its way into the software?

Reactions: OhioBobcat
As long as you're going straight back.
Not really no, the side camera's grant you perfect visibility of where your wheel is and what's next to it. I was scared to hit the curb with my wheels when reverse S-parking at first, but after just a couple of tries I'm used to it already.

Very easy to park just next to the curb without hitting it, with just the camera's. (and even with USS the curb wouldn't register in most cases).

The issue is in front. Now I have to rely on the reflection of my headlights like in the old days. Has to be fixed soon.

Reactions: Falcon73
There is some Y inventory locally that I’d be interested in trading up into but not having the USS is a deal breaker for me. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Has Tesla ever gone back and said, j/k, we made a mistake?

Not that I'm aware. Seriously doubt we will ever see USS again. As long as the functionality comes back, I don't care about USS.
and yet years later... "vision only" AP still is only good for 85mph max speed and much longer follow distance than the original radar input AP which could handle 90mph and much closer following... but hey- some cost savings on Tesla's side not having to install the Continental radar unit...

New sensor suite would be part of that update, deletion of the USS. (Ultra Sonic Sensors) and replacement by a 76 GHz FMCW
( Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave) radar. Not clear if it’s MIMO phased array radar or not.

Mobileye has already demonstrated HD radar that is capable of producing 3D point clouds as good as camera vision, the point cloud of an imagining radar works wonderful with neural networks. Most likely needs HW 4.0 for full functionality,

Radar unit is most likely Phoenix 4D sensor technology from Arbe Robotics.
High range resolution down to 7.5cm, long range up to 300m.

Reactions: WyoDude