Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
park assist should activate after a bit of driving, once the cameras are all calibrated.

with enhanced autopilot you will have the potential of having summon but it is not activate at the moment because the cars are not equipped with ultrasonic sensors. Summon has not been active for anyone purchasing a car since october 2022. At some point when tesla improves the vision only system they will activate summon, but no one knows when this is.
sadly as far as I know tesla still writes on the website you get summon with the enhanced autopilot package although this is false information
it is the same for autopark feature
Thank you TheJman for your reply. A small confusion… “it is the same for autopark feature” Park Assist and Autopark features are different, right? Or are they same? If same, then does this mean Park Assist is also unavailable at the moment?? If not, then I don’t have to do anything but to wait for camera calibration. I have driven around 100 kms so far and it is still showing me this message!! Do I need to contact Tesla for anything or may be it takes some more kms to auto-enable??
Thanks in advance for your kind guidance

Thank you TheJman for your reply. A small confusion… “it is the same for autopark feature” Park Assist and Autopark features are different, right? Or are they same? If same, then does this mean Park Assist is also unavailable at the moment?? If not, then I don’t have to do anything but to wait for camera calibration. I have driven around 100 kms so far and it is still showing me this message!! Do I need to contact Tesla for anything or may be it takes some more kms to auto-enable??
Thanks in advance for your kind guidance
yes if you have the enhanced autopilot then you also paid for a feature that lets the car detect parking spots and then park itself. This is autopark. Park assist is just the visuals about distances you get on your screen when parking.

From what I have been reading the park assist sometimes took up to 200km of driving to activate. If someone else knows more then I do then please adjust enwabout

I’m not sure how they can continue to market a feature that they aren’t actually shipping with the product (and likely won’t ever be able to activate, at this rate, on the current platform)
They did the same thing when they removed radar mid 2021. They cover their backs by having you acknowledge it in a separate form. For the USS, you get a pop-up that basically says you acknowledge the car is missing features. Same with the radar 2 years ago.

They never reached full parity with radar's functionality, but they got "good enough" that no one talks about it anymore. The same will happen with USS. I have one Tesla with USS and (deactivated) radar, and one without. We'll see how it plays out, but I fully expect Tesla to eventually turn off USS on equipped cars just like they did with radar to simplify SW development eventually.

Reactions: mborkow
I’m not sure how they can continue to market a feature that they aren’t actually shipping with the product (and likely won’t ever be able to activate, at this rate, on the current platform)
Before you confirm delivery, they link you this page which tells which features are available and which are not, these are a marked coming soon, although "Park Assist" is currently available via updates to cars without USS:
Park Assist ✓ Coming soon
Autopark ✓ Coming soon
Summon ✓ Coming soon
Smart Summon ✓ Coming soon
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support

They did the same thing with the radar removal.

Reactions: mborkow
Before you confirm delivery, they link you this page which tells which features are available and which are not, these are a marked coming soon, although "Park Assist" is currently available via updates to cars without USS:
Park Assist ✓ Coming soon
Autopark ✓ Coming soon
Summon ✓ Coming soon
Smart Summon ✓ Coming soon
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support

They did the same thing with the radar removal.
And folks here say I’m nuts for not updating my 2018 M3 software beyond the last version before disabling radar. In my car today all four of those “Coming soon” features work and do so fairly reliably. Similarly for other TV restrictions I don’t have such as max autopilot speeds, minimum following distance, mandatory autowipers/highbeams, etc. Since I like and use those features, no updates keeps them working.

Reactions: TheJMan
Most limitations apply to EAP/FSD, since I don't have either of those on my cars, it doesn't affect me.

A bit of sour grapes, but my understanding is smart summon isn't good anyway. Same with auto parking. I've never heard anyone rave about them and actually it's quite the opposite. But I don't have either so who knows.

I did have auto parking on a 2010 Prius and it worked pretty well, but I could always park faster than it could so I never used it.

And folks here say I’m nuts for not updating my 2018 M3 software beyond the last version before disabling radar. In my car today all four of those “Coming soon” features work and do so fairly reliably. Similarly for other TV restrictions I don’t have such as max autopilot speeds, minimum following distance, mandatory autowipers/highbeams, etc. Since I like and use those features, no updates keeps them working.

None of those EAP features use radar, so if you were to update or not it won't have any effect on those.

• Disagree
Reactions: SalisburySam
TV has removed or imposed restrictions on every one of the features I mentioned, radar notwithstanding. This happened with the software version that removed the radar if installed. The use of the radar is coincidental.
His point is all four of the coming soon features work just fine on cars without radar, given those features are only related to USS. For cars still with USS, Tesla have not made changes to the functionality. I think you are mixing up USS and radar.

Putting in a nose camera to give a top down view would have fit Tesla's Vision vision as well as made everyone forget about USS.
Agreed. I have a 2018 Model 3, and the ultrasonic sensors work well.

My daughter and I test drove a 2023 Model Y Performance the other day, and pulling into a parking space, she was disconcerted when the car alarmed and showed the curb right at the nose of the car. She was still 4 feet from the curb... I kept telling her to pull forward, but by the time she was 2 feet from the curb, it was showing the "obstacle" mid-way through the frunk. She was paranoid to crunch the car on a test drive, so she never did pull in all the way.

I asked the sales person if there was a calibration that could be done to make it more accurate, but he kept talking about the normal camera calibration. Maybe that wasn't done on this car ( it had 200 miles on the odometer ), or maybe it's just really that bad? And yeah, I've read the owners manual about obstacles lower than 8 inches.

The Mach-E and Ioniq 5 she's test driven both had the 360 camera as well as working ultrasonic sensors.

Those of you with a newer Model Y, is your car this bad on sensing curbs?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ord3r
Agreed. I have a 2018 Model 3, and the ultrasonic sensors work well.

My daughter and I test drove a 2023 Model Y Performance the other day, and pulling into a parking space, she was disconcerted when the car alarmed and showed the curb right at the nose of the car. She was still 4 feet from the curb... I kept telling her to pull forward, but by the time she was 2 feet from the curb, it was showing the "obstacle" mid-way through the frunk. She was paranoid to crunch the car on a test drive, so she never did pull in all the way.

I asked the sales person if there was a calibration that could be done to make it more accurate, but he kept talking about the normal camera calibration. Maybe that wasn't done on this car ( it had 200 miles on the odometer ), or maybe it's just really that bad? And yeah, I've read the owners manual about obstacles lower than 8 inches.

The Mach-E and Ioniq 5 she's test driven both had the 360 camera as well as working ultrasonic sensors.

Those of you with a newer Model Y, is your car this bad on sensing curbs?
I have a 2022 M3 with USS and a 2023 MY without, and neither car can accurately measure distance to a curb in front of the car. Both cars have great backup cameras for seeing curbs and other obstacles in the rear. Can’t say how well the Mach-E or Ionic 5 will perform this task, but USS is not always effective in seeing curbs.

Reactions: ODWms
I admit I was a touch concerned about this thread before I got my model 3 last weekend. I will not apologize for Tesla not having USS in these cars, but until a decade ago I never had a backup camera and had managed to never back into anything. Backup cameras are fantastic, so I'm not sure how I managed it. Until several years ago I had no bumper sensors of any kind. I do value them--the highly accurate tone is definitely valuable, and the cars I've had with 360 birdseye are super-helpful, but despite no sensor or birdseye, I think I'd have to be pretty careless to back this thing up into anything. There's a very nice camera (much better than the majority of cars) showing me everything.

My Toyota will turn on its front plate camera and ding me when I'm about to hit something, which isn't possible here, but as somebody who never has used park assist on any car I don't see parking this as difficult. I had park assist on two late model volvos, which I never used (first I am literally too stupid to figure out how to engage it [could never quite get it in the right spot or something], and second I know it's an excessively slow procedure in any case).

The semi-trucks in garage is funny. I saw a guy on youtube with the same issue.

Reactions: Konicom04
it is bad, pretty bad.
I see semi trucks when i pull into my garage, and the obstacle avoidance system is going nuts sounding alarms.
Im just laughing, and am happy tesla didn't decide to actually apply brakes when those are detected.
FYI, I have this in my USS car too (semi trucks in the garage), it has nothing to do with the park assist, it is just a visualization.

Reactions: SalisburySam