Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance that the new radar sensors that Tesla is supposedly working on could be used to replace USS in future models?
Who knows. Tesla's been shipping the S/X with their so called HD radar, but they don't use it yet. HW4 Model Y (and probably model 3) don't come with the HD radar module. Bumper camera which may have been a decent replacement for USS was removed at the last second. Doesn't seem like improving this behavior is a priority for Tesla. And their MO tends to be not to offer retrofits

Any chance that the new radar sensors that Tesla is supposedly working on could be used to replace USS in future models?
No, almost no chance, those are tuned/aimed for long range (not to ground immediately in front of car), only cover front (no sides or rear) and tend to filter out stationary objects to avoid noise. Even cars with multiple radar sensors will still have USS sensors for parking. Currently Tesla only has one front radar, even in the ones with the new HD radar.

A more likely thing is using a front bumper camera, but Tesla removed all pictures that showed a front bumper camera on the Highland, so that may have been cancelled.

Reactions: XPsionic
There have been several reports and videos demonstrating how 2023 Tesla cars without the USS(proximity sensors) will not come with any proximity functionality.

Now, it is certainly possible that these features will be re-enabled by using the cameras instead of the sensors in a future update. However, there are blind spots below the front bumper that the cameras cannot see. Perhaps they are just going to assume the objects don’t move after they go out of view?

I just want everyone to understand that until the update comes the 2023 cars are missing functionality that some customers might see as essential especially if you park your car in a tight space or garage.

came way too close to finding out the hard way

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Hi All,

Planning to subscribe for Fsd for my 2023 M3LR . Can anyone please confirm whether the auto park ,smart summon futures has been arrived for those 2023 models?
Unfortunately not. My wife has HW4 on her MYLR and free FSD for 3 months. There was no autopark, summon, or smart summon.

To be honest, my 2015 had autopark and summon, I used both about 4 times total in 8 years. The big deal is Enhanced Autopilot which is nice as it stays active when manually selecting a lane, I miss that feature.

Unfortunately not. My wife has HW4 on her MYLR and free FSD for 3 months. There was no autopark, summon, or smart summon.

To be honest, my 2015 had autopark and summon, I used both about 4 times total in 8 years. The big deal is Enhanced Autopilot which is nice as it stays active when manually selecting a lane, I miss that feature.
For $300 or less the S3XY Knob/Buttons can emulate that particular feature plus do so much more than just that.

• Love
Reactions: easyev
Those S3XY Knobs/Buttons are really cool; this is the first time I've read about them. Thanks for mentioning them!
I really am enjoying the S3XY Knob. I did a little customization to it.😉

IMG_1828.jpeg
IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

And this emulates the auto lane change feature, for less than $300 you say?

I am intrigued. My wife took delivery last year on a Model Y with only AP (and she never, EVER, uses even that). This would well be worth the $300 for the times I’m driving, taking trips, etc.
It is capable of auto re-engaging autopilot after a manual lane change. It doesn’t fully replicate it but it makes the transition from lane to lane pretty seamless.

Reactions: ODWms