Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Y 2300 miles - no cameras, autopilot or gps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I picked up the car today. They had to replace the AP4 car computer, multiple coolant purges were performed, latest firmware downloaded and installed. Version: 2023.44.30.7. They test drove the car to see if all features were working as they should and they confirmed everything was working.

I picked up, test drove, it's all working fine now. Turned on Sentry Mode as soon as I get home after the drive from the SC.
I dont expect it to malfunction just because of the Sentry Mode being turned on but we'll see.

Aside from the long wait, a month to be exact, of sometimes frustrating situations, time-consuming research on how to possible remedy the problem, the experience with Tesla Repair Services were great!
which car computer?

Did you have any of these faults?
IMG_0522.jpeg

Update: I picked up the car today. They had to replace the AP4 car computer, multiple coolant purges were performed, latest firmware downloaded and installed. Version: 2023.44.30.7. They test drove the car to see if all features were working as they should and they confirmed everything was working.

I picked up, test drove, it's all working fine now. Turned on Sentry Mode as soon as I get home after the drive from the SC.
I dont expect it to malfunction just because of the Sentry Mode being turned on but we'll see.

Aside from the long wait, a month to be exact, of sometimes frustrating situations, time-consuming research on how to possible remedy the problem, the experience with Tesla Repair Services were great!
You seriously have low expectations. There's people on this forum having this issue going back 3 or more months with multiple SC visits.

What a clusterfak, and I thought my charge door not opening from home charger is annoying. I also had a mystery camera blackout recently (Nov 2023 model X was on 2023.44.30.6 at the time) and the only thing that fixed it was a DAS reset in service mode. Someone earlier suggested it I saw - I’d try that 1st if cameras not working and not any Senrry or battery disconnect voodoo. Of course if the computer is deemed defective then that won’t probably help.

Did anyone start a lemon because of all of this?

What a clusterfak, and I thought my charge door not opening from home charger is annoying. I also had a mystery camera blackout recently (Nov 2023 model X was on 2023.44.30.6 at the time) and the only thing that fixed it was a DAS reset in service mode. Someone earlier suggested it I saw - I’d try that 1st if cameras not working and not any Senrry or battery disconnect voodoo. Of course if the computer is deemed defective then that won’t probably help.

Did anyone start a lemon because of all of this?
I made an inquiry with a lawyer regarding lemon lawsuit, but was told while it technically qualified due to number of attempts made for same issue, it would be tough to win this early since car hadn't been in the shop for 25-30 days, so they suggested holding off for now. Either way, to update my situation, this time around they claimed the technician found corrosion on the computer and grounding wire. They replaced the same computer they replaced on my first visit back in October. No issues since this visit, but then again it's only been a few days.

Last edited:
Are you guys experiencing excessive phantom battery drain also when car is parked & unplugged? I'm getting 8% to 10% drain in 24 hours with Sentry mode & Over heat protection disabled. Seems like the car is not going into deep sleep. Curious if it's related to the GPS & Cameras issue or a separate issue.

OP here. Several software updates since I reported the issues and the issues still continue. I submitted another service request today, which they immediately bumped from mobile service to having to bring the car in.
Unbelievable they haven't fixed your issue yet. I requested a Service Center appointment for 1/15 in the app and have yet to receive an official confirmation from them that I can bring the car in.

Unbelievable they haven't fixed your issue yet. I requested a Service Center appointment for 1/15 in the app and have yet to receive an official confirmation from them that I can bring the car in.
Typical. They usually review and confirm the day before. And say your car needs a part that could have been ordered a week before? They’ll determine on the spot and let it sit in service for a week. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: AndroidFreak
Its disappointing. To be fair, they told me my issue couldn't be fixed by hardware and i had to wait for software to fix the problem. The car has now updated 3 or 4 times for the software and still has the problems. So either the initial diagnosis was incorrect and they can fix it with hardware, or they will just tell me to wait longer. Its quite annoying and somewhat dangerous not to have a backup camera.

Its disappointing. To be fair, they told me my issue couldn't be fixed by hardware and i had to wait for software to fix the problem. The car has now updated 3 or 4 times for the software and still has the problems. So either the initial diagnosis was incorrect and they can fix it with hardware, or they will just tell me to wait longer. Its quite annoying and somewhat dangerous not to have a backup camera.
Have you call their customers service +1-888-518-3752 ? Talk to real person, using the app will wait forever, I had the same issue for about 1.5 month, and called them three time about the software update problem, finally scheduled to Service center, and fixed after that, no issue so far.

Agreed. Can't live without back up camera. The back window via rear view mirror has such narrow view in an M3. Also, side view cameras provide better/wider views than side mirrors.

Just to add to this, my computer was replaced when this started in October. Then went through several instances of losing cameras/gps, etc. which were restored through updates, hard resets. Then a few weeks ago updates and resets didn't do the trick, so they replaced the same computer again. So far so good, but it's only been about a week. Longest stretch of everything working since October is about 2 weeks.

Just to add to this, my computer was replaced when this started in October. Then went through several instances of losing cameras/gps, etc. which were restored through updates, hard resets. Then a few weeks ago updates and resets didn't do the trick, so they replaced the same computer again. So far so good, but it's only been about a week. Longest stretch of everything working since October is about 2 weeks.
Hopefully the combo of computer & latest firmware is the permanent fix

Reactions: ultramyp
I delivered a brand new model Y yesterday, on delivery the sales guy said that the cameras will start to work after calibration. Well calibration never started because the cameras were not showing anything, when i arrived home i reset the DAS on service mode and everything started to work. But today the same problem happens again. Should i just return the car you think?

I delivered a brand new model Y yesterday, on delivery the sales guy said that the cameras will start to work after calibration. Well calibration never started because the cameras were not showing anything, when i arrived home i reset the DAS on service mode and everything started to work. But today the same problem happens again. Should i just return the car you think?
In the US I don't think you can. In the Netherlands (EU) I believe you have 14 days (more informed users can correct me). Bless the EU for better consumer protection laws. I would give them a chance to fix, and if not fixed return. Cameras not working is not an issue that I would tolerate even for 1 mile or 1 day let alone more (shocked people here drive over 2000). I had 1 such incident with only one camera and DAS reset on a new X, but it didn't occur again, and I am in the US and can't return anyways. They failed to diagnose and told me to "keep an eye" and let them know if it repeats. So far so good though.

If you do not want to give up your car, give it another 2 days and see if it fails consistently. Ask for service within the 14 days regardless and ask them to diagnose. But if you have no faith in a fix or it repeats, returning within 14 days is no brainer.

In the US I don't think you can. In the Netherlands (EU) I believe you have 14 days (more informed users can correct me). Bless the EU for better consumer protection laws. I would give them a chance to fix, and if not fixed return. Cameras not working is not an issue that I would tolerate even for 1 mile or 1 day let alone more (shocked people here drive over 2000). I had 1 such incident with only one camera and DAS reset on a new X, but it didn't occur again, and I am in the US and can't return anyways. They failed to diagnose and told me to "keep an eye" and let them know if it repeats. So far so good though.

If you do not want to give up your car, give it another 2 days and see if it fails consistently. Ask for service within the 14 days regardless and ask them to diagnose. But if you have no faith in a fix or it repeats, returning within 14 days is no brainer.
Thanks, that's what I will do. This morning I realize there was an alert on the app that said: Sentry mode disabled due to a system error. I enabled sentry mode and now everything started to work again.

It is really not possible to drive a Model Y in Amsterdam without the cameras, as the visibility on the rear window is terrible