Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.20 headlights Finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never heard of that before.

The Germans use a combination of swiveling projector and local dimming of LEDs to achieve active high beam function just like everyone else.

Before pixel array/matrix LEDs came about, they used a movable shutter within the HID/LED projector to block out oncoming traffic.
This is what I was trying to say, Kayrish said it MUCH better than I. Point is, nothing is moving. Lights are going on and off and the beam is being redirected.
- I think - ;)

The blame for this delay, on having this 12 year old technology in the US, lies completely on NHTSA.

Pretty sure that still applies.

The moving left and right around turns have been on cars in the US before, but not the adaptive that can dim areas to not blind cars, which the NHTSA is still preventing.

Reactions: unhyphy
I read that only matrix headlights support the adaptive functions, and that you can tell if you have them if there is a round projector on the outer edge of the headlight.
I have a brand new 2024 Model 3 Standard Range, but the headlights do not have a round projector on the outer edge. Am I SOL for the adaptive feature once my car gets the appropriate update?
According to the Interweb
" the 2024 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range has adaptive matrix LED headlights. These headlights have pixel square mirrors inside the bulb of light, which can be identified by a bolt on the left and right sides of the headlights. The lights can be calibrated before driving by going to the Menu, then Service, and then Adjust Headlights."

What year did you buy that brand new Model 3? They’ve had Matrix LEDs in the headlights for quite a while now, you just didn’t get anything from it unless you were watching the light show.
I picked up my 2024 Model 3 two weeks ago. The headlights don't have the round projector, and they don't display "TESLA" during the light show.

I saw this (Tesla appears to have reverted to using non-matrix LED headlights in latest Model 3 builds [Update]) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRN-GAZybJA ) from a couple years ago indicating that the headlights were reverted, and I know the Highland model in Europe has matrix headlights, but I can't find anything confirming that the North America model (I'm in California) has matrix headlights.

I picked up my 2024 Model 3 two weeks ago. The headlights don't have the round projector, and they don't display "TESLA" during the light show.

I saw this (Tesla appears to have reverted to using non-matrix LED headlights in latest Model 3 builds [Update]) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRN-GAZybJA ) from a couple years ago indicating that the headlights were reverted, and I know the Highland model in Europe has matrix headlights, but I can't find anything confirming that the North America model (I'm in California) has matrix headlights.
That was pre-Highland and just a temporary change.

Not well versed on Highland headlights but a projector is not necessarily required for matrix LED function. The easiest test would be to do The light show with the headlights pointing at a wall and see if it spells out TESLA (assuming Tesla kept that feature on the Highland)

Not well versed on Highland headlights but a projector is not necessarily required for matrix LED function. The easiest test would be to do The light show with the headlights pointing at a wall and see if it spells out TESLA (assuming Tesla kept that feature on the Highland)
I remember reading somewhere that the Highland can no longer spell TESLA.

Does Australia score the matrix headlights. Our cars are built in China but I don't know if our ADRs are as backward as the American rules which don't yet allow matrix headlights.
My 2023 Y has the matrix headlights. I see the adaptive functionality in operation all the time, since the most recent update. It'll be good to see the curves enhancement with the.20 update soon.

Reactions: Quamera

The highland has fewer pixels and can't actually spell out Tesla (they're also split between low beam and highbeam unlike the other cars where most of it is dedicated to the high beam), but it is Matrix.

Does Australia score the matrix headlights. Our cars are built in China but I don't know if our ADRs are as backward as the American rules which don't yet allow matrix headlights.
Our 2023 Model Y has the matrix headlights.
New Zealand and Australia both source the Chinese built Teslas.

I understood that the American rules were spec'd such that the speed of adaptation (to oncoming light etc) is pretty much unachievable by anything - that includes human reaction speed. I also saw somewhere that they wanted to rewrite their rules again.

On the couple of times I drove our car in the dark after the adaptive headlights were released it was pretty impressive. You could see the areas where the light was being reduced and increased.

If you have any doubts about whether you have the feature, go into the car menu under lights - I think you have to enable it - its not enabled by default:

From the manual:
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Lights > Adaptive High Beams.

It shouldnt let you enable it if your car doesnt have the lights.

Reactions: Quamera and Ozdw
Our 2023 Model Y has the matrix headlights.
New Zealand and Australia both source the Chinese built Teslas.

I understood that the American rules were spec'd such that the speed of adaptation (to oncoming light etc) is pretty much unachievable by anything - that includes human reaction speed. I also saw somewhere that they wanted to rewrite their rules again.

On the couple of times I drove our car in the dark after the adaptive headlights were released it was pretty impressive. You could see the areas where the light was being reduced and increased.

If you have any doubts about whether you have the feature, go into the car menu under lights - I think you have to enable it - its not enabled by default:

From the manual:
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Lights > Adaptive High Beams.

It shouldnt let you enable it if your car doesnt have the lights.
Thanks for that, I hadn't actually seen Tesla promote the adaptive matrix headlights on their Australian website, maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I do not have one yet, planning on a Model 3 LR shortly, I just wish Elon gets his act together on V2X because that needs more than just a OTA update to be introduced. I don't understand why he is dragging the chain on V2X, it just fits in so well with his philosophy, not to mention his home solar and Powerwall business.

Well I guess the hardware has been installed for several years and they have just enabled it. So advertising it years ago would have been misleading.
Odd that it was 'future-proofed' for so long and just going live now.

Non adaptive headlights would have been cheaper to install and Tesla sometimes go to extremes to cut expense on some things (removing stalks?).

The V2X would certainly have been a nice to have and seems like a real omission now. For some reason Elon thinks everyone should buy powerwalls and not mess with the car battery. But the cybertruck has V2X. So thoughts must be changing.

There is probably not a hope in hell - but if it was possible to retrofit whatever V2X they hopefully decide on, without being stupid expensive, I would be keen.

Reactions: Quamera
Sad that my brand new Model 3 did not come with matrix headlights. Would have liked to see better around corners and the better visibility with adaptive matrix. :(
All 2024 Model 3s have Matrix headlights. It says so on the spec sheet.
IMG_5138.jpeg

Reactions: Spottedsharks
Thanks for that, I hadn't actually seen Tesla promote the adaptive matrix headlights on their Australian website, maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I do not have one yet, planning on a Model 3 LR shortly, I just wish Elon gets his act together on V2X because that needs more than just a OTA update to be introduced. I don't understand why he is dragging the chain on V2X, it just fits in so well with his philosophy, not to mention his home solar and Powerwall business.
V2X could harm the power wall business. You get a lot more battery per dollar buying a model 3 than a dedicated powerwall