Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

210K!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd agree with the OP. This think is now way beyond what 99.9% people would want. Now matter how fast this thing is, very few people would spend tens of thousands of dollar just for 0.1s improvement on 0-100. This thing is now beyond reach.

I'd go with a 120K, or maybe 140K car, however 210K is way too too expensive.

I'd agree with the OP. This think is now way beyond what 99.9% people would want. Now matter how fast this thing is, very few people would spend tens of thousands of dollar just for 0.1s improvement on 0-100. This thing is now beyond reach.

Yeah, but people who have money to burn, may still want them. And Tesla will be very willing to sell them at Ludicrous prices to help fund its other ventures.

Yeah, but people who have money to burn, may still want them. And Tesla will be very willing to sell them at Ludicrous prices to help fund its other ventures.

In a couple of years, I might trade in my 90KWH pack for a larger one if Tesla still allows that. 90KWH is still a little bit on the smaller side, although I can squeeze out 420KM from 390KM rated mileage by driving conservatively. However I am quite satisfied with the rest of the car.

Reactions: Xenius
I think you need to look up the definition of want. I betcha there are more people that would want this car vs a Model 3.

I'll take 8.

Now, I bet you probably just misspelled "need" or "afford".;)

:)Maybe. it should be "afford" rather than "want". Under my own condition, I barely accelerate my 90D by flooring the accelerator pedal. the capability of acceleration is more than I need, let alone P90D. I don't care, at all, whether this car can go from 0 - 100 in 4s 3s or 2.5s. If I were to buy it now, I will opt for 100KWH but not the "P" one like I did a year ago.

While the pricing is "up there" (in CAD or otherwise), to me, this is really a brand building/strengthening/outofthisworld-ing and technology showcasing exercise. Sure, you'll find a sliver of folks who will buy it, but I believe the "success" of this car will not be measured in number of units sold.

Now, I am happy to join that sliver of buyers but may need your help. I do take PayPal and can accept CAD if this makes it easier for you :)

It's really sad to see that the 100kWh battery is exclusive to the performance Model S! Basically you won't get that battery unless you pay a huge $ figure!
2 years ago, when I bought my S, Tesla's vision was to create an EV car with decent ranges with fast charging capability on highways.
Since the D was introduced, Tesla's vision has changed entirely to create fast cars and associate its name with the worst gas guzzlers out there (Lambos, McLaren, etc), trying to beat their 0-60 numbers so bad. I wish that the range increase was the highlight of the new 100kWh and not the performance. The Model S is not a supercar and will never be; you can't have that advertised 0-60 unless the battery is almost full, and put it in a track and the battery will overheat. You can't beat physics!

It's really sad to see that the 100kWh battery is exclusive to the performance Model S! Basically you won't get that battery unless you pay a huge $ figure!
2 years ago, when I bought my S, Tesla's vision was to create an EV car with decent ranges with fast charging capability on highways.
Since the D was introduced, Tesla's vision has changed entirely to create fast cars and associate its name with the worst gas guzzlers out there (Lambos, McLaren, etc), trying to beat their 0-60 numbers so bad. I wish that the range increase was the highlight of the new 100kWh and not the performance. The Model S is not a supercar and will never be; you can't have that advertised 0-60 unless the battery is almost full, and put it in a track and the battery will overheat. You can't beat physics!
you will get 100D sometime later on. A pair of motor and inverter with higher output does not cost Tesla too much more to build, but higher capacity of the pack does cost an arm and leg. Always remember, the most important and most expensive component on this car is the battery pack. Tesla makes much more money on jacking up the performance than the pack. It is understandable Tesla holds this stance as it is still in a primitive stage. It needs more money to develop.

Reactions: Jaff

If people buys lambo for more than that and only drive them in the summer and can't even go do groceries with these...I bet you they can afford a full equip P100D and would rather do that at least they'll have an all year long every day driver...I'm sure by next year I'll see 2 P100D in Markham, ON...This corner plenty of rich people, with lots of Teslas...

you will get 100D sometime later on. A pair of motor and inverter with higher output does not cost Tesla too much more to build, but higher capacity of the pack does cost an arm and leg. Always remember, the most important and most expensive component on this car is the battery pack. Tesla makes much more money on jacking up the performance than the pack. It is understandable Tesla holds this stance as it is still in a primitive stage. It needs more money to develop.

You're right. Really there is very little incremental cost difference between a 60D and a P100D. It's the same exact car with a bigger rear drive unit (maybe $1K), some bigger wiring to the rear ($500), 25kw more cells (no more than $4,500), a pyrotechnic fuse & contacter ($1-2K), and not really much else. Of course I also think that they're probably losing money on the 60. And of course they need the big$ products to pay for R&D and keep the company afloat.

One interesting thing that Tesla is changing, is the way that we look at performance. Really really incredible performance is going to get very very cheap - to the point where every vehicle has it. The days are coming to an end, where you needed an enormously complex mechanical engine/drive train to develop rapid acceleration. I bet that, in 20 years, your average run-of-the-mill EV will be able to tear the treads off the tires.

You guys are viewing this from a "bottom up" perspective, and that's just not the target audience.

This is now true hypercar territory, where guys spend millions on cars for e-peen bragging rights. For those "top down" shoppers this is an absolute bargain at about 90% less than they usually spend on a car.

As currently priced, the P100D is not someones day driver, it is their 3rd or 4th car.

Yikes. A fully optioned model S P100D runs for over 210K CAD + taxes. And at that price there is no EV incentive. That's getting very very difficult to rationalize, no matter how crazy quick the thing is.

Just wait until step 2 of the original secret master plan.
Tesla is planning on building an affordable car in that step.
Step 3 is to build an even more affordable car.

You guys are viewing this from a "bottom up" perspective, and that's just not the target audience.

This is now true hypercar territory, where guys spend millions on cars for e-peen bragging rights. For those "top down" shoppers this is an absolute bargain at about 90% less than they usually spend on a car.

As currently priced, the P100D is not someones day driver, it is their 3rd or 4th car.

Nailed it. This is basic pricing and market segmentation.

The logic flaw is many people read an entire price list and think that's 'too expensive' (product A), I can afford this (product C), and/or I can stretch to get this (product B). That's exactly where they want you - funneled into a mentality of this is too high, too low, and just right.

If you're selling a product you have a high end offering, sometimes a ridiculous price point, for those who have money to burn. High margin, you'd be a fool to turn down the money. You have a middle of the road price point to capture the bulk of the people, and a low price point / entry level, for those who can barely afford it or for those who just love getting a 'deal.'

Now here's the interesting thing. Once you set the high price point, you've mentally anchored the entire price range of your product line. If the top car is $145K, then the $90K car seems more reasonable. And the $60K car seems like well a bargain....

Apple pricing is similar. Three tiers.

There's numerous studies this works. And there's numerous studies that having too many tiers results in indecision. Three is optimal in most cases.

Tesla’s new Model S P100D is not only quick, it’s the first all-electric car with over 300 miles of range
Tesla CEO Elon Musk also confirmed that Tesla will soon have another option with even more range in just a few months when the automaker releases the 100 kWh battery pack in non-performance versions of the Model S and X.
Yea!!!!!!!