Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22MYP Suspension Upgrade third party or new 23 comfort suspension?

Which would increase the ride quality the most

• 23 OEM Upgrade

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Mountain Pass

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Unplugged

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ohlins

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other third party

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a suspension upgrade, the post winter potholes here in WNY are brutal. I’ve been doing a good amount of research and I’m leaning towards the 23 “comfort” suspension because it is by far the cheapest option.

Some videos on YouTube seem a bit “influenced” so I just want to get your take by a simple poll. I really appreciate manufacturers developing upgrades for MYPs, I don’t mind paying the up-charge to help support them but I’m just trying to get the most comfortable end result. I have a 22 MYP, August 22, Fremont, on 21” uberturbines with the Michelin all seasons.

I’ve heard some mixed reviews about the new 23 suspension, so any input would be appreciated. I’ve tried lowering PSI, I also run 19” winter tires in season, it does make a slight difference but so I’m pretty set on upgrading the suspension.

Cheers

you will not notice a difference i have the 22 MYP june build and it has the "softer" suspension, tesla tweaked it for non performance, your better of getting the mountain pass performance comfort coilovers. i have been in a new 2023 long range model y on the same roads and it feels exactly the same so spend the monday. Also get rid of the 21s and go to atleast 20s and even better go 19s

Reactions: rolling green
I’m about to pull the trigger on a suspension upgrade, the post winter potholes here in WNY are brutal. I’ve been doing a good amount of research and I’m leaning towards the 23 “comfort” suspension because it is by far the cheapest option.

Some videos on YouTube seem a bit “influenced” so I just want to get your take by a simple poll. I really appreciate manufacturers developing upgrades for MYPs, I don’t mind paying the up-charge to help support them but I’m just trying to get the most comfortable end result. I have a 22 MYP, August 22, Fremont, on 21” uberturbines with the Michelin all seasons.

I’ve heard some mixed reviews about the new 23 suspension, so any input would be appreciated. I’ve tried lowering PSI, I also run 19” winter tires in season, it does make a slight difference but so I’m pretty set on upgrading the suspension.

Cheers
I actually changed out tires on my 2022 MYP, I moved the 275 tires to the front and purchased new 295 for the rear. Michelin AS. Ride quality noticeably better this was the cheapest option.

IMG_0079.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 41
you will not notice a difference i have the 22 MYP june build and it has the "softer" suspension, tesla tweaked it for non performance, your better of getting the mountain pass performance comfort coilovers. i have been in a new 2023 long range model y on the same roads and it feels exactly the same so spend the monday. Also get rid of the 21s and go to atleast 20s and even better go 19s
That's funny, I had the opposite experience. I had a '22 MYLR, put MPP CC on them, and noticed no difference. Test drove a '23 MYP and my whole family thought the ride was better. You sure you have the improved suspension? I thought it didn't arrive until Fall, 2022.

Reactions: joeinNFLA
i just bought the 2023 MYLR with standard options, didn't like the suspension and open the ticket. The service center resopnded saying my car came with the new soft suspension. I don't feel it soft, and they said they can't do anything to make it more softer.

so my car does have the new soft suspension, but I still feel it hard. it is way worst than my Lexus.

Haha, I'm still pretty torn on this. The more I look into this the more on the fence I am. To my knowledge (I could be wrong) the 2023 MYLR and 2023 MYP have comfort suspensions but they are slightly different. I really wish I could test drive different ones because I don't have a reliable mechanic I can go to and swap them out on call, and for now I don't have a garage because I'm in a town house so I can't do the job myself. Because of the poll I'm leaning towards the comfort suspension for the MYP

My 2023 MYP rides great. Not sure what all the suspension fuss is about since they improved it.

I agree with the above poster. Recently took delivery of a late-March built MYP and it is surprisingly smooth and comfortable. Prior to taking delivery and after reading all the reviews on this forum about how the latest suspension is still inadequate and not very comfortable, I was prepared to change out the stock suspension to something like MPP Comfort Coilovers… just like I did with my M3P which has been running on stock 19’s.

However, I am happy to report my MYP with stock suspension (and stock 21’s) rides noticeably smoother, quieter and more comfortable than my M3P with coilovers (and the adjustable dampers set on their ”softest” setting). I feel my M3P with the coilovers is a fairly comfortable ride. The new MYP is definitely better, though.

Having said all this, I don’t think any suspension upgrade alone will tame the “brutal“ potholes in WNY. For that, you will likely need both a suspension upgrade and smaller tires (like 19”) with taller sidewall height to help absorb/dampen all those bumps.

i just bought the 2023 MYLR with standard options, didn't like the suspension and open the ticket. The service center resopnded saying my car came with the new soft suspension. I don't feel it soft, and they said they can't do anything to make it more softer.

so my car does have the new soft suspension, but I still feel it hard. it is way worst than my Lexus.
Everyone has a different impression of what stiff or hard suspension is. Lexus is on the very cushy side, even in Fsport trim - I had a couple of them. IMO you get the MYP for its stellar performance and firmer ride - as that what a performance vehicle should be.

My 21' Acura RDX Aspec SHawd with 255/45/20 standard sport wheels and tires rides very firm right off the showroom floor. Pot holes and man hole covers are transmitted into the cabin a lot. Reminds me of my Genesis coupe and Mini JCW Coupe with sport suspension. You get use to the firm ride after a while. I bet it feels hard/harsh coming from a very soft riding vehicle.

In comparison I test drove a 23' MYP and that ride was much smoother and compliant than my Acura. Adjusting the tire pressure down a few pounds on any vehicle with low profile preference tires make a world of difference.

Excellent feedback guys, thank you! Yeah I’ve decided on the 23MYP suspension then. Now I have to start trying to procure the parts. A big selling point is also if anything ever happened where I have to use my warranty. I don’t think Tesla would cite the suspension if it was their own.

Now to start the negotiations with the Tesla service center lol

Reactions: Nimilol
I just submitted the parts order through tesla service after quite a bit of back and forth. I'll keep everyone posted on the results. Some people say the new comfort suspension is too bouncy and soft which I'd rather it be than unnecessarily harsh. These are the exact part numbers I ordered, have not gotten the invoice yet so no pricing:

Front left: 1188371-00-F
Front right: 1188376-00-F
2x Rear shock: 1188465-00-F
2x Rear spring: 1188475-00-D

I just submitted the parts order through tesla service after quite a bit of back and forth. I'll keep everyone posted on the results. Some people say the new comfort suspension is too bouncy and soft which I'd rather it be than unnecessarily harsh. These are the exact part numbers I ordered, have not gotten the invoice yet so no pricing:

Front left: 1188371-00-F
Front right: 1188376-00-F
2x Rear shock: 1188465-00-F
2x Rear spring: 1188475-00-D
Be interested to hear your review after they get installed and cost to complete the upgrade.

I did the full 2023 LRMY suspension on my wife’s early 2021 LRMY and its night and day difference, even she notices the difference. It now rides better than my early 2021 P3 and that was not the case before.
  1. Rides better, especially over sharp bumps.
  2. Handles better, even though it rides better, steering is more connected to the road.
  3. Under $1000 with tax
  4. Pretty easy DIY project if you are capable, no spring compressor needed as the fronts come assembled from Tesla.