Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part 2 for tips and tricks:
  1. When mounting the front camera, the cable on the camera should be oriented toward the passenger side (right side) of the car (on LHD cars), otherwise the image will be upside down.
  2. When routing the power/reverse signal cable from the Switch box to the OBD CANbus kit, I found I could route it behind the MCU. With the panels off to remove the glove box, you can run the cable from the driver foot well to the passenger foot well, right behind the MCU. There is a small cutout in the floor carpet right next to the top of the accelerator pedal. You can run the cable through there can pick it up on the other end. Just be careful to tuck the wire behind the carpet and around the accelerator pedal. You don't want the wire getting pinched by the pedal or interfering with it in any way, of course.

The instructions are exactly the same for AP1 as non-AP cars and the instructions for that are in the V1 threads somewhere.

AP2 will be a little different.
That's partially why I'm asking... I don't want to hunt for a needle in a haystack that I haven't even seen before, only to find out I located an outdated needle, and there was a newer needle in that haystack with proper information that I didn't find.
Also, there are some gotchas that have already been noted (pairing the remotes), and some things have changed (different cables, CANbus Kit).

I have a lot on my plate with personal life tragedies in my family right now, and I don't want to waste a lot of time, do a sloppy install, or have to take it apart again. That's partially why I decided to spend the extra money on the CANbus Kit; to ease the installation, and reduce the install time.

I truly wish that my time was in abundance right now, and that I had no other stresses due to ailing family members, but that's just not the case unfortunately.

There's been talk of current instructions being posted in this thread for months, so all I'm doing is just asking for an update on that, with no pressure or animosity; just curiosity. I don't think it's unfair of me to ask for an update on this last needed bit, but maybe I'm wrong... :(

Last edited:
Part 2 for tips and tricks:
  1. When mounting the front camera, the cable on the camera should be oriented toward the passenger side (right side) of the car (on LHD cars), otherwise the image will be upside down.
Upside down is the wrong term. It’s horizontally reversed, e.g. left is right and right is left.

We are working on the install instructions, a video first.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Upside down is the wrong term. It’s horizontally reversed, e.g. left is right and right is left.

We are working on the install instructions, a video first.
Yup, the picture is left/right swapped when installed properly, but on my camera, the cable exits horizontally on the back, so I had to make sure the cable exit is to the right. If I flip the camera with the cable to the left, the image would be upside down on the MCU.

Reactions: Russell and JohnnyG
I can confirm this as well... The access hole is missing...

@artsci , how are we doing on getting updated instructions out (specifically for AP1 nosecone)?
@appleguru , I'm assuming you're putting together some instructions on using the CANbus Kit as well as some detail on the giraffe (i.e. J2, J3, J6, etc)?

I don't mind digging, guessing, exploring, when it's in June, but when it's cold, dark, and the busy holiday season, I'd like to just jump in and get it done. Reading the troubles some are having, trying to figure it out on their own; I don't want to go down that same path right now.

Thanks!!

I've been slammed with real work, so haven't had a good chance yet to finish my updated video (need to shoot one more clip...). With that said, I just pulled together a technical info sheet for the CAN Bus Kit / revB Giraffe, which you can find attached.

I'll also try and pull together a first pass at basic install instructions for the CAN Bus Kit, but they will be something along the lines of:
1) CAN Bus Kit = comma panda with custom firmware + revB giraffe + RJ45 GPIO cable to connect to camera switcher
2) Plug your panda into the female header on the giraffe
3) Plug the giraffe into the OBD port under the steering wheel
4) Plug the RJ45 cable into the port on the giraffe labelled "RJ45 GPIO"
5) Route the cable to your camera switcher
6) Connect the orange wire to the "Reverse" input on the camera switcher, the brown wire to the GND input on the camera switcher, and the brown/white wire to the +12V input on the camera switcher
7) That's it! When your car is in reverse, you should get your rear camera feed. Otherwise, you should get your forward camera feed. Press and hold the menu button on the steering wheel to override and switch feeds when not in reverse.

Attachments

• Can_Bus_Kit_and_revB_Giraffe_Info_Sheet_2018DEC10_v2.pdf
    500.5 KB · Views: 131
I just gotta say I was initially excited about the camera switcher but appleguru's CANBUS kit took the spotlight for me. It was not only well worth the extra cost making install a breeze but it also opened the car up to a world of other possibilities. Since I received the CANBUS kit, I installed OpenPilot, blackvue 2ch cameras and front camera switcher all on the CANBUS kit. I still have room on the CANBUS for other upgrades too! I would say that I'm a complete noob when it comes to DIY projects like this but appleguru is extremely patient in answering all of my questions and I couldn't be happier with the kit.

if you end up chaining the CanBus together with BearPu & Artsci can you document how you do this? Thanks!

I am working on such an integration now for a few people. @BearBu implemented a subset of the functionality of my CAN Bus Kit for his HDMI switcher. If we modify his OBD harness so it gets power and CAN from my CAN Bus Kit instead of directly from the car, I can proxy the "steering wheel button" messages and switch it in a coordinated way with the @artsci kit (and even using different buttons/inputs if needed or desired). Stay tuned, and if anyone has both systems and is brave enough to be the tester, let me know!

I am working on such an integration now for a few people. @BearBu implemented a subset of the functionality of my CAN Bus Kit for his HDMI switcher. If we modify his OBD harness so it gets power and CAN from my CAN Bus Kit instead of directly from the car, I can proxy the "steering wheel button" messages and switch it in a coordinated way with the @artsci kit (and even using different buttons/inputs if needed or desired). Stay tuned, and if anyone has both systems and is brave enough to be the tester, let me know!
I am both brave enough and have both systems installed. Let's do this!

There will be a video soon, and printed instructions after that.

On Monday all but 7 of the switch and cable orders will ship. If you ordered and haven't received a shipping and tracking email today, it means your order will not ship until we receive the final batch of custom cables, likely in about two weeks.

We also have 7 switches left and about the same number of custom cable sets. For anyone interested in ordering you can have the switch and cable sets before Christmas. Each switch is $200 and the cable sets are another $50. Shipping is $15. So if you'd like to order, please PM me for instructions.

Any update on the final batch of custom cables? I’m itching to get my front camera installed!

Let me know if anything I can help to change to make a better combination. Thanks

Reactions: appleguru
The CAN bus decoder box for the HDMI Interface Box is made with dedicated connectors and dedicated control signal [UART command]
- SM 2.5mm 3PIN connector for power [BAT+ PIN, ACC PIN, GND]
- 6pin M7 connector for the control PIN (the processed UART signal derived from CAN bus signal) to both of the HDMI Interface Box and the 360 system [box].

CAN Bus decoder legend.jpg

I thought the @BearBu CanBus device was, or at least was based on, @artsci's. As such you should be able to use one of them for both purposes, just using different outputs. (But maybe I got that all wrong.)

@BearBu thank you! Just received my kit, was a pleasent surprise, wasn’t expecting to receive this on Xmas eve! Now waiting on Artsci and AppleGuru.

Will be a few weeks still to kick off the round 2 CAN Bus Kit build. Need to get a few more people signed up before a second run would be reasonably priced... That said, we are definitely doing a second run now, so if anyone else is interested please PM me for details. The more we make, the less expensive they are!

RE HDMI kit + @artsci switcher, @kdday was working with some prototype firmware for the CAN bus kit to make this work. @kdday any updates on success/progress?