Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 LR RWD - 325 mile Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off of a web chat with Tesla asking why I saw no bump in range. The rep told me that not all Model 3 vehicles received this with 2019.5.15 and that another update would be sent out that would open the additional range. Maybe that is why it wasn’t in the release notes?

Anyone who didn’t get a bump with 5.15 get one with 8.3? I just got 8.3 but still showing only 310 miles on my LR RWD.

I just looked at my TeslaFi records and it looks confirmed that we have an actual kWh bump on the car from 73 to 77kWh!!

I took my daily charge records and divided the "kWh added" value by how many percent was gained. Previous to the 2019.5.15 update the math consistently comes out to ~73kWh for 100% and now after the update it's ~77kWh. The difference is consistent and too large to be a fluke. I was only getting +/-.5 kWh based on the rounding error of using whole percents when doing the math.

Based on this, I think I can confirm that we gained about 3.5kWh of usable capacity which is right in line with +15 miles of rated range.

I will still plan on doing my road test to see what the car shows on the trip.

Please see this post: Model 3 LR usable battery capacity? for a test that I ran in August of 2018. My math then came out to 73kWh usable which exactly matches my TeslaFi math from before the update.
I’m surprised that you have these results as per my TeslaFi I only show 68.8 kw useable before and after my update, I was showing 310 before and 321 after the update but no change in useable capacity.

I think the best way to determine what the useable capacity is from what is actually used and not what is added when charged, I had one drive with a lunch stop and another 10 min stop before the update that went from 100% to 1 mile left and it was 68.42 kWh used, I had a couple other long non stop drives and they calculated to 68.8 kWh, after the update 3 drives of 38% to 70% that calculated out to the same 68.8 kwh so IF there is a range increase I think it has to come from an efficiency improvement which I seriously doubt, IMO

Last edited:
Just adding my data point. I don’t have TeslaFi or anything like that, but I charged to ~100% twice on a long distance trip last week. 2019.8.3 - Feb. 2018 build - 31,800 miles - LR RWD.

Both times, my car charged to 315 miles, and while it didn’t say charging was completed either time, the time remaining got stuck on “Calculating...” and never went past 315.

Nothing has been unlocked. RWD has always gone further than 310 miles with no heat running on Aero’s.

One test is also completely useless.

You probably would have to do at least 3 runs before update and 3 runs after update to be at all statistically significant.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
I have to agree with @mswlogo here. As a reminder to those that may have forgotten, when the EPA first tested the LR RWD, they came up with a result of 334 miles of range. The "Tesla Desired Range" of 310 miles shown below, indicates a voluntary reduction in the EPA rated range. After that, many were reporting that they could easily exceed this figure, so it was clear that the real range of the LR RWD was more than 310. So why then the TeslaFi results? I would not trust that too much. TeslaFi is not doing advanced calculations, it's simply reporting what the Tesla API is telling it. I know this because I opened a ticket with TeslaFi when I noticed that my AWD Model 3 was showing 100% efficiency in TeslaFi with a Wh/mi of 222. That makes no sense since it would imply that my battery is far smaller than 76 kWh of usable capacity (it's been shown many times that 310 miles is an accurate estimate for AWD on aero wheels). I was told that it is simply a calculation based on the rated miles that the Tesla API is telling TeslaFi you have used. So, I don't know why it is reporting this on my AWD, but it is very clear to me that the Tesla API can report whatever Tesla wants it to. I firmly believe that the API was reporting different data before to be in line with the "voluntary" 310 mile figure and now that has changed. The creator of TeslaFi is on here if you want to ask him.

EPA Test Results (page 17)
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 7.44.22 AM.png

Just adding my data point. I don’t have TeslaFi or anything like that, but I charged to ~100% twice on a long distance trip last week. 2019.8.3 - Feb. 2018 build - 31,800 miles - LR RWD.

Both times, my car charged to 315 miles, and while it didn’t say charging was completed either time, the time remaining got stuck on “Calculating...” and never went past 315.
I have 14kmi and the max I get is 318miles when fully charged.

• Informative
Reactions: halfricanguy