Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30A 120V - Use it or forget it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is nice to have faster charging I but get about 30 miles overnight for my MY on a 120v, 15 amp (12 actual) circuit so you could get by to start with until you upgrade.
Depends on how well your panel is wired and how old it is.
If all is well, your solution is sound.
If you live in an old house with old worn out outlets and or breakers, you may have some issues.
Also, depends on other solutions you may have nearby like superchargers or L2 as backup.

The GFCI breaker, in my opinion, makes the mobile connector an even worse option. It's essentially the same price for a mobile connector solution as it is for a hardwired unit.

IF you do not own the mobile connector and need to replace the outlet, then the cost of the mobile connector, a new outlet, GFCI breaker and a cable management system of some sort is more expensive then the wall connector and a standard breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
EVSEadapters sells both TT-30 and 6-30 adapters for the Tesla UMC.

The double breaker would have to be GFCI to comply these days. So, that’s a little more money.

A wall connector is probably a good call, since you can do what the people above mentioned.
Where I’m from, rules are different on that, so I didn’t think of it (but that’s not relevant here and hopefully changes soon).
EVSE Adapters is in the process of relaunching their web site. EVSE Adapters has posted a notice on the site requesting that customers have patience as EVSE Adapters has limited product inventory at this time. EVSE Adapters

EVSE Adapters is in the process of relaunching their web site. EVSE Adapters has posted a notice on the site requesting that customers have patience as EVSE Adapters has limited product inventory at this time. EVSE Adapters
Good to know. Their website shows they have stock of the 6-30 adapter, but at that price, combined with the GFCI breaker price, I’m on team wall connector configured to 30A double breaker.

We have a 30A 125V outlet in our garage for when we plugged in our Airstream travel trailer years ago. Can I use this for our new Tesla Y (on order) or with our limited daily driving of 15 miles or should I just use 110V standard outlet? And what should I order when I order the vehicle, a wall connector or mobile connector?View attachment 936792
Hi Willie. Did you get this resolved? I’m an electrical contractor here in Florida and would be happy to share some knowledge with you if you’d like.

Reactions: MattM24
It will need to be gfci protected. I think you are probably looking at around $600 bucks.

But just to clarify for @wille - a GFCI breaker is a code requirement (where required) for an *outlet*, not for the hardwired wall connector.

The GFCI requirement brings the cost of an outlet to almost the same as a hardwired unit, which leaves little reason not to go hardwired.

Thank you. I ordered the Mobil Kit, but have not decided the best electrical service to go with, given my usage. I am certainly interested in your thoughts.
Since you have ordered the Tesla Mobile Connector know that you should not let the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics unit) hang supported by just the power plug. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can find similar kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy.

EVSE Adapters appears to have the TT-30 power plug adapter in stock ($85). This would enable you to charge at ~8 miles per hour using the existing 120V/30 amp receptacle.

New EV charging circuits that include a receptacle (not the ones that are hard wired) require GFCI protection. Existing circuits are not required to be brought up to the current code. For your safety always turn off the power at the circuit breaker before plugging or unplugging the charging equipment from the receptacle (this is especially true for 240V circuits).

If you only drive 15 miles/day, I'd suggest ordering the TT-30 adapter from evseadapters and be done with it. The evseadapters TT-30 adapter works just like an official Tesla adapter, and seems to be one of their most popular products. I have one and it works great.

If that proves inadequate then, as others have described, you can reuse the wiring and get a 2x speed boost. This by either converting to a 6-30 receptacle (requires double pole GFI breaker) or using a hardwired Wall Connector (requires a normal non-GFI double pole breaker).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe
I'm not sure how you'd actually use it since Tesla doesn't make a 5-30 adapter for the Mobile Connector. Either use a 15A/120V outlet (20A would be even better if you have a circuit that can handle it) or do what @MattM24 suggested which would be a big upgrade and take an electrician under an hour.

This is the way to go.
'Under an hour' is right. Perhaps 15 minutes.

Aww. This is disappointing. You got a lot of good advice but then didn't take it.

A bit harsh.

There’s one big advantage to the Mobile Connecter: You CAN take it with you.

I’ve used my Mobile Connector at least a dozen times when traveling - at friend’s houses and motels for the most part. At home, I had an existing L14-30 receptacle and bought the evseadapters adapter and get about 23 miles of range per hour. On the road, I have the original 5-15, a 5-20, and 14-50 adapters, plus a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. All have proven handy.

A bit harsh.

There’s one big advantage to the Mobile Connecter: You CAN take it with you.

I’ve used my Mobile Connector at least a dozen times when traveling - at friend’s houses and motels for the most part. At home, I had an existing L14-30 receptacle and bought the evseadapters adapter and get about 23 miles of range per hour. On the road, I have the original 5-15, a 5-20, and 14-50 adapters, plus a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. All have proven handy.

Then one can get a mobile connector to keep in the car. I've done a number of long distance trips and have never once used my mobile connector.

I can't imagine there are many people who will charge more on the road than they do at home... and the HPWC is a much better choice for home charging.

Reactions: Rocky_H
and the HPWC is a much better choice for home charging.
Because it provides higher quality kilowatt hours? Artisan joules? Smug satisfaction associated with a shiny glass cover and green blinky lights on the wall?

Better choice for a greenfield install in 2023? Yes. Definitely.

Better choice when you have a perfectly good receptacle already installed that will meet your stated charging needs with no modification or headache? Come on. There is NO reason to tell this guy NOT to use his perfectly good TT-30.

Because it provides higher quality kilowatt hours? Artisan joules? Smug satisfaction associated with a shiny glass cover and green blinky lights on the wall?

Better choice for a greenfield install in 2023? Yes. Definitely.

Better choice when you have a perfectly good receptacle already installed that will meet your stated charging needs with no modification or headache? Come on. There is NO reason to tell this guy NOT to use his perfectly good TT-30.
Artisan joules. One of the best things I’ve ever read.

Reactions: FastEddieB
Then one can get a mobile connector to keep in the car. I've done a number of long distance trips and have never once used my mobile connector.

Good for you. We apparently have different mission profiles.

Just recently stayed at a basic motel in Port St. Joe, FL. My wife, Karen, noticed a 120v receptacle outside our room. Asked the manager if it was OK to charge, and they said it was fine. Noticed it was a 20A receptacle, and as I mentioned we have the correct adapter which allows for about 7 miles per hour charge rate.

52897201675_185b17ba4b.jpg

52896241422_6fbb127be0.jpg

88 miles overnight is not nothing, and though we had plenty of charge to get to a Supercharger the next day, there aren’t many Superchargers in that part of the FL panhandle, so an extra cushion is always nice.

The only real downside I see is using proletariat joules, but to date I’ve not noticed a difference in performance compared to the artisan variety! 😉

Edited to add: I know one shouldn’t routinely let the EVSE box hang from the receptacle. But to my eye the whole setup is quite robust and I’m not overly concerned.