Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

350V 85/90 kWh - not Ludicrous compatible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I got my battery changed on warranty. They put in the new 350V 85 kWh battery with partnumber 1014116-00-A. Naturally I asked if the battery was Ludicrous compatible as it was only 350V and not 400V. The service center has now come back said that it is not Ludicrous compatible and that they need to change it again.

I know for a fact that Tesla is still installing the 350V battery in Ludicrous cars under warranty, so is it my service center that is not informed correctly or does Tesla have a larger issue with swapping the wrong batteries in customers cars?

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Last year I got my battery changed on warranty. They put in the new 350V 85 kWh battery with partnumber 1014116-00-A. Naturally I asked if the battery was Ludicrous compatible as it was only 350V and not 400V. The service center has now come back said that it is not Ludicrous compatible and that they need to change it again.

I know for a fact that Tesla is still installing the 350V battery in Ludicrous cars under warranty, so is it my service center that is not informed correctly or does Tesla have a larger issue with swapping the wrong batteries in customers cars?
I hope you get a Ludicrous compatible battery as good as the new 350V you got. To me (not Ludicrous), getting that 85 350V would be like winning the lottery: from what I read, it has better capacity and SuC speed restored, so better than the 85 when new in both aspects.

Curious to see where this will be going. Maybe the revision -B of that battery is Ludicrous compatible.

Reactions: gaswalla
The new 350V battery is preferable in all parameters compared to a refurbished 400V, but apparently it is Ludicrous and about 75 kW down on peak power.

UI and everything still says Ludicrous.
Makes sense that it loses 75kW, it is basically a 100kWh pack but missing 2 of the 16 modules, right?

100kWh pack is about 575kW max, and 2/16 of it is about 72kW.

Should still leave about 500kW of power available, is that not more than what a P85D is capable of? Why is it slowing the P85D down? Max amp limit?

I think a P85D has a 1240A fuse, which in theory should give 400V x 1240A = 496 kW before voltage sag

The Ludicrous fuse upgrade should be 1500A, which in theory should give 400V x 1500A = 600 kW before voltage sag

I don't know which fuse is in the new 350V batteries, but can not find any documentation that it should be more than 1500A, which in theory should mean that the max output of the 350V battery would be 350V X 1500A = 525 kW

But I paid good money for Ludicrous, so what is up with Tesla fitting batteries that they afterwards says it not compatible with Ludicrous? Although I like the added range and the fact that it is a factory new battery, but apparently it is not a performance battery. But as with so much with Tesla, they are not very forthcoming with information, just saying that you have to trust them ...

Reactions: Baumisch
So you would rather have a refurbished, less range, lifetime limited, but ludicrous compatible battery?
Seriously...
I think the OP is saying that they want what they paid (handsomely) for and they shouldn't have to make any decisions. It's kind of a fool's errand that we're making them choose from two options that are lesser when they shouldn't have to. If Tesla can't provide a refurb battery that meets the requirements if that particular car (as per the terms of their own warranty) then they need to pony up and drop a new pack in the car capable of delivering everything that was paid for even if it is overkill. Lack of inventory is not the OP's problem and certainly not something the OP can control.

Having a customer pay anywhere between $5,000-$10,000 for a performance option and then offering a hardware replacement not suited to provide what is required to keep that paid for option intact isn't acceptable practice nor should the onus be on the OP to choose which they want to do away with because Tesla can't provide a pack that will last as long in the first place as they claimed it would. Hence, warranty. They need to provide a pack capable of the same or better performance as the original as per the terms of their own warranty.

@Veggen - I bought the Ludicrous upgrade for a reason, because I like the performance. If Tesla would like to buy it back, then we can talk about that.

@Ostrichsak - exactly

The reason why I started this thread is that I know this battery has been installed in many P85D Ludicrous cars, and when I asked my SC, now nearly a year ago, if it was Ludicrous compatible even though it was only 350V, they had no answer. It was first when I started pushing them for an answer, that they finally said that it was not. But they have not provided any documentation other than saying the battery was fitted because of inventory misplacement, which sounds like BS since it's been fitted to other Ludicrous cars, as late as last week.

It's been mentioned to me that in theory the battery may be able to deliver close to Ludicrous power, but that it would put a lot of strain on the inverters as it would require much higher amps, and I don't want to end up with defective inverters ... and still the area under the power curve would still not be high enough.

But is seems there is no one who really knows this and Tesla is definitely not saying anything, they won't even give me the part number on the battery they will replace it with, which is just idiotic.

But is seems there is no one who really knows this and Tesla is definitely not saying anything, they won't even give me the part number on the battery they will replace it with, which is just idiotic.
I find it highly likely they won't give you the part number because they don't know it until it arrives on the truck.

They order a "P85DL" replacement battery from the mother ship, and one is dispatched (which could be any one of many different part numbers/revs) based on what is available in the refurb pipeline at that time.

Reactions: Droschke
They order a "P85DL" replacement battery from the mother ship, and one is dispatched (which could be any one of many different part numbers/revs) based on what is available in the refurb pipeline at that time.
And that is how I got the 350V battery last year ... But I would suspect they now the part number at least a few days before the service appointment, as my experience with Tesla is that it is not a well oiled 'just-in-time' run company :)

But I paid good money for Ludicrous, so what is up with Tesla fitting batteries that they afterwards says it not compatible with Ludicrous? Although I like the added range and the fact that it is a factory new battery, but apparently it is not a performance battery. But as with so much with Tesla, they are not very forthcoming with information, just saying that you have to trust them ...
Just to be clear - I agree you deserve to have a new pack which is capable of the performance and hasn't been chargegated/batterygated etc. but this is Tesla we're dealing with - you're on dangerous ground sending back a pack that in many respects is better than the one they swapped it out for!

So I decided to let Tesla do a battery swap again since they said that the 350V was not Ludicrous compatible. This is where things got interesting and makes me question if the service center is allowed to think for themselves?

I booked the car in and had a service done as well and they swapped the 1 y.o. 350V 85 kWh non ludicrous compatible battery out with a - drum roll please - a brand new 350V 90 kWh non ludicrous compatible battery 1014116-00-B. The work note literately stated that the battery should be swapped due to the fact that it was not a 400V battery.

I haven't talked to them yet, but my immediate take on this, is that Tesla is not making any new Ludicrous compatible batteries for the P85DL/P90DL anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the 434 km@100%, up by about 6% from when the car was new in 2015 - I just don't understand how or why they ignore the fact that it does not meet all the criteria for the battery it's replacing.

I think I am about to face the OPs situation. The vehicle was reporting a 100% SOC after it had been driven 50 miles or more….and of course it wasn’t charged to 100% in the first place. A call to roadside service allowed for diagnostics that showed the SOC was actually at about 75% +/-…..so I figured a software issue. Given the software thought the pack was at 100%, couldn’t charge, so off to service center. Next communication is “replacement HV battery is required”. It’s a 2015 P85DL, so I am guessing I may well wind up in the same CF as the OP.

Reactions: BrokerDon