TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

351 Mile Range!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ilguy, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Ilguy

Ilguy Member

Model X order site just update to 351 mile range for LR Raven! Pick up mine tomorrow! What a nice surprise.

• Like x 2
  2. shinytop

shinytop Member

Hope that is something in software, would make a nice update.

• Like x 1
  3. rcho8

rcho8 Member

maybe new battery, model s lr is rated 390

4. NHK X

NHK X Member

Regretting getting a 75d x, I road trip a lot and it’s been getting annoying how much time I spend charging now. My 90% is 194 miles now. I think 270+ is a good number to keep charging reasonable instead of charging into the mid 90 percent of SOC to make some of the supercharger leaps (also driving 10 below in Texas tailing a semi truck to reduce drag).

maybe it is time to upgrade :)

• Like x 5
  5. kdphan

kdphan Member

wow new range for both Model S and X

S LR Plus is 390
    X LR Plus is 351

6. vinny84

vinny84 Member

Did MX gain 23 miles due to new 20inch wheels? Oddly new wheels are showing up under S but not under X.

7. HHHH

HHHH Member

I wonder if it’s software related or hardware, would be the difference on buying an inventory car or a new order...

8. HHHH

HHHH Member

Update: appears to be software driven, did a search on existing inventory of Long Range Plus Model X and they all now say 351 EPA

• Like x 1
  9. Fred42

Fred42 Member

Maybe not because the S Performance shows the same ranges for the new standard 19" Tempest wheels and the 19" Sonic Carbon wheels but a lower range for the 21" wheels. This suggests the change(s) that increased the range is something other than the new standard wheels. But maybe they weren't careful with the website changes.

10. shenger

shenger Member

Where do you see this? I did a search for existing inventory and old ranges are still showing.

11. Hebert

Hebert Member

I suspect this might be due to an update to the core battery chemistry. Something similar to the updates with the initial Raven batteries.

12. vinny84

vinny84 Member

#12 vinny84, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    This could be the reason. I am seeing Long Range Plus for new orders now. Some inventory cars are Range Plus as well.

@verygreen predicted new battery few weeks ago.

13. Hebert

Hebert Member

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said tonight that “All S/X cars made in recent months have actually been above stated EPA range. Will be unlocked soon for free via software update.”

• Informative x 1
  14. shenger

shenger Member

To add to Hebert's comment above - "Many small hardware improvements throughout the car that have been introduced gradually over past several months", "Software just thinks the car is less efficient than it actually is".

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  15. Venkatsg

Venkatsg Member

Picked up my MX LR yesterday and now confused what this means :(

• Like x 1
  16. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

If you picked up yesterday, you’ll prob be ok and have the new range with a software update. Just check the production date on the label inside of driver door jam. If produced in 2020, you’re all set

17. Venkatsg

Venkatsg Member

It says 01/20 - am assuming that means Jan 2020

• Like x 1
  18. theonetheonly

theonetheonly Member

I saw that initially but they have al reverted back to ‘non plus’ with the previous 328 range. so maybe it is a hardware thing.

• Informative x 1
  19. pgrennan

pgrennan Member

I wish we could get production date clarity in this. For instance mine is an 11/2019 Raven production. That’s “the last few months”.

20. larmor

larmor Active Member

I wonder if older owners of MX will be able to buy a new battery with longer range?