Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36.X and Steering Wheel Weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS here. No inside camera. Just got 2nd strike with this build. First strike was using a weight. Okay, my bad. Second strike I was not using a weight at all. Just responding to the nags by either torquing the wheel slightly as requested by the nag or scrolling the volume. Someone please tell me how you are supposed to use this build if not using a weight and applying manual torque as requested will still give you a strike. I only have 1 left and now I don't feel like I can even use FSD like the manual says without getting a strike. Feels like the weight defeat algorithm has a bug.

I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread.

Anyone on 36.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning? Prior to this version I had no issue, but with 36.6 I’m having autopilot disengage without any warning. I’m wondering if they put into 36.X if you’re able to go x distance/time without any wheel nudge notifications, youre most likely using a wheel weight?
Yes i have experienced it many times. They've definitely changed something to counter the wheel weights

I didn’t had a single issue with weight on 10.69.3.1
My car needed service so I removed the weight, got the car back and now the weight doesn’t work anymore, seems like the reason I didn’t had an issue before is because the weight was on prior to the update and once I removed it there was some kind of calibration.

I didn’t had a single issue with weight on 10.69.3.1
My car needed service so I removed the weight, got the car back and now the weight doesn’t work anymore, seems like the reason I didn’t had an issue before is because the weight was on prior to the update and once I removed it there was some kind of calibration.
Or a reboot occurred

Don't forget, it is quite likely the cabin camera can *see* if your hands are actually on the yoke/wheel.
the camera does not see the steering wheel and probably cant tell if your hands are on your lap or the wheel.

see what it sees for yourself in latest update that lets you view the cabin while in sentry mode on the app.

I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread.

Anyone on 36.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning? Prior to this version I had no issue, but with 36.6 I’m having autopilot disengage without any warning. I’m wondering if they put into 36.X if you’re able to go x distance/time without any wheel nudge notifications, youre most likely using a wheel weight?
I think it's because of the internal camera :)

it might be it recognises that hands are not on wheel but torque applied...

What’s the status of this with 2022.44.25.5 FSD Beta 10.69.25? We’re currently on 2022.36.20 FSD Beta 10.69.3.1. I don’t want to update if there will be more strike issues. We only get 3 on our S because of no cabin camera. Right now our car is waiting for wifi to download & I’m not allowing it to connect to wifi.

What’s the status of this with 2022.44.25.5 FSD Beta 10.69.25? We’re currently on 2022.36.20 FSD Beta 10.69.3.1. I don’t want to update if there will be more strike issues. We only get 3 on our S because of no cabin camera. Right now our car is waiting for wifi to download & I’m not allowing it to connect to wifi.
Yes it’s worth the update with many useful improvements.

the camera does not see the steering wheel and probably cant tell if your hands are on your lap or the wheel.
see what it sees for yourself in latest update that lets you view the cabin while in sentry mode on the app.
I just got 2022.44.25.5 yesterday (first time for cabin cam for me). The cabin camera now provides a clear view of the steering yoke.