Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd A/C failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad, but annoyed that I'm not alone on this issue. Had MY for just about a month and only put 400 miles on it. Yesterday, good ole'Phoenix hit about 110°, and my a/c decided it was too hot to handle and died. Tried the suggestions in this feed prior to contacting Tesla, who had me reset everything to no avail, and she could see error codes on her end. Quoted me a service appointment....get this...for AUGUST 18th! If I wasn't heated before, I certainly was then. After asking her to put herself in my shoes and accept her appointment offer, the Tech told me I could run it to the service center to see if they would look at it. She then disconnected the phone. UN.REAL.

So, off I drove...in my car that hit 135° by the time I got there. Stood in a long line, masked up and soaked in sweat...but 35 minutes later, I dealt with a really nice agent who had no problem accepting my key and left the car. They didn't have any loaners, but did offer me Uber credit.

REALLY hoping it's just a software bug!

Well....they are keeping the car overnight as they are checking for what they think is a very small leak somewhere with the refrigerant. I'm highly skeptical that is the issue, although they did say the previous two times I brought it in that the refrigerant was lower than normal, which was particularly shocking the second time given that it had already been recharged once, but they said then there was no leak, but apparently now they are really checking. Even so, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that low refrigerant would equal cooling sometimes and failing others, as noted it was cooling just fine this morning on the drive to service center. Hard to complain since at least they are trying and taking it seriously, but........

Glad, but annoyed that I'm not alone on this issue. Had MY for just about a month and only put 400 miles on it. Yesterday, good ole'Phoenix hit about 110°, and my a/c decided it was too hot to handle and died. Tried the suggestions in this feed prior to contacting Tesla, who had me reset everything to no avail, and she could see error codes on her end. Quoted me a service appointment....get this...for AUGUST 18th! If I wasn't heated before, I certainly was then. After asking her to put herself in my shoes and accept her appointment offer, the Tech told me I could run it to the service center to see if they would look at it. She then disconnected the phone. UN.REAL.

So, off I drove...in my car that hit 135° by the time I got there. Stood in a long line, masked up and soaked in sweat...but 35 minutes later, I dealt with a really nice agent who had no problem accepting my key and left the car. They didn't have any loaners, but did offer me Uber credit.

Isn't it true that if you just opened your windows your cabin would not have been at 135 degrees?

The evaporate likes to have as much air flow volume as possible
Thanks for the explanation. I haven’t got the software update that cuts the passenger climate when the seat is empty yet. I hope that feature can be disabled because in the summer I point the vents at the back of the center screen, because otherwise it feels pretty hot to the touch. Since I don’t like air blowing on me, I found somewhere else to put it to use.

I’m sorry you have had to experience a steam Y as well. I realize it’s first world problems but it sucks. I’m in Wisconsin so no where near as hot as Arizona or Neveda. I hope they find a solution soon.

As mentioned, I have gone down the Freon level path twice now and that doesn’t seem to be the answer. I wish it was that simple.

Maybe I should just roll my windows down as suggested by the prior post who I assume has a functional A/C

So, off I drove...in my car that hit 135° by the time I got there.
I was in Cyprus in August a few years back. We were using a borrowed econo-car that had no A/C.. it reached 116F one day. At that point it was actually better driving around with the windows closed because 116 deg air blowing on you was just too much to take.
116 deg air was brutal, don't know how you stood 135deg cabin!

Thank you; so helpful.
Windows were open, but the car is a literal oven

I feel your pain (for the rear only blowing hear though) On the + side they've been helpful in Scottsdale.

Also my 3 went up as high as 152 in the sun last summer (wasn't in the car) Having an appt for emergent issue isn't necessary they'll fit you in and uber/loaner.

I have integrated with the Tesla API and this is the data from my MY. I set the car in driveway with climate set to 68. Notice the temp is held there but then as the outside temp starts rising (clouds went away the inside cabin temperature climbs with it. I tried lowering to 61 but the inside temp was unaffected. I then tried the reboot but had the air set on auto so that didn't work but notice how the temp climbed while rebooting and then cooled back down to roughly the same previous temp. It's also interesting to me that the cabin temp went up a couple of degrees when I raised the set temp a couple of degrees. It's in service right now. I received a text saying the car's A/C concern was escalated to their lead technician. I sent them this data but I don't feel confident they will do anything with it. I would think that if it is this easy for us to pattern our data that Tesla could do this on a large scale and figure out the problem.

upload_2020-7-22_21-17-17.png

Reactions: EVNation
I have integrated with the Tesla API and this is the data from my MY. I set the car in driveway with climate set to 68. Notice the temp is held there but then as the outside temp starts rising (clouds went away the inside cabin temperature climbs with it. I tried lowering to 61 but the inside temp was unaffected. I then tried the reboot but had the air set on auto so that didn't work but notice how the temp climbed while rebooting and then cooled back down to roughly the same previous temp. It's also interesting to me that the cabin temp went up a couple of degrees when I raised the set temp a couple of degrees. It's in service right now. I received a text saying the car's A/C concern was escalated to their lead technician. I sent them this data but I don't feel confident they will do anything with it. I would think that if it is this easy for us to pattern our data that Tesla could do this on a large scale and figure out the problem.

View attachment 567862
I wonder if this has to do with how the system prioritizes A/C cooling - batteries vs. cabin, and if that has anything to do with this.

Reactions: Bikeman
So 48 hours and counting, my Y is still at the Service Center -- I guess I'm optimistic that they're taking the issue seriously, though not exactly confidence inspiring that we're on day 3 of having it in service and the service advisor just texted me saying they were waiting for an update from the tech and would let me know when they had one......the waiting continues.

Update on my end - today we weren't getting just air blowing, but hot air blowing. Forced to shut it altogether and open the windows. Interior temp at 112 as it's over 100 out here in Las Vegas right now. Service moved up from 8/10 to 7/27 by Tesla, thankfully. Also now seeing "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault" message on the climate screen. Texted all of this to whoever at Tesla was texting me about the service appointment. Very aggravating. They said they would be able to offer a loaner on Monday, but we'll have to wait and see if that's true.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna