Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd A/C failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a Y, and I don't have a dog in this fight yet, but I wonder if Tesla undersized the capacity and load of the octovalved heat pump and that it can't handle all the cooling that's needed for the battery system and passenger air conditioning at the same time on hot days and it just decides to cool one system at a time, and like mentioned above, prioritizes the traction battery. ?

Reactions: Kelr316
I don't have a Y, and I don't have a dog in this fight yet, but I wonder if Tesla undersized the capacity and load of the octovalved heat pump and that it can't handle all the cooling that's needed for the battery system and passenger air conditioning at the same time on hot days and it just decides to cool one system at a time, and like mentioned above, prioritizes the traction battery. ?
I don't think it's undersized. My MY can cool to 70 F no problem here in Georgia, with outside temps in the high 90s, humidity crazy high.

Update from me, as a reminder, car has been in service since Wednesday, status update now says that they are awaiting part, scheduled for completion this Wednesday (the 29th) at 5:15 PM.....no idea what part they've ordered....
Good luck! So far it appears items being replaced have included :
Pressure Sensor
Manifolds
Front controller

My 3rd attempted fix is scheduled for this Weds.
Fingers crossed.
Let us know when you find out your part replacement.
Ps...the A/C system seems complicated to say the least.
The Tesla Model Y's Octovalve And Cooling System Manifolds Are Simply Amazing

Dropped mine off for repair here in Las Vegas on Friday evening. From the app, it looks like they began working on it on Saturday. Got a text today saying the issue is not yet resolved. No word on parts being ordered/replaced. I did get a notification from the app today saying a software update was available, but since car is in service, I couldn't get any details on it and assume it's the service techs pushing it.

In speaking with some of the salespeople here in Las Vegas when I dropped it off, they were well aware of the issue. Said they experienced it on the test drive vehicle(s).

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Good luck! So far it appears items being replaced have included :
Pressure Sensor
Manifolds
Front controller

My 3rd attempted fix is scheduled for this Weds.
Fingers crossed.
Let us know when you find out your part replacement.
Ps...the A/C system seems complicated to say the least.
The Tesla Model Y's Octovalve And Cooling System Manifolds Are Simply Amazing

The service advisor just texted that parts are due in today. I asked which and was told “a refrigerant part and a supermanifold”. Not sure exactly what that means but hopefully this does the trick.

So, good news on the A/C failure for MY.

After 2 days, they returned it good as new. They said that there was a miscommunication with the air louver, preventing the intake of air.
All they had to do was a 12V reset, (I assume battery since I reset my car a few times), and that solved the problem.

Hoping y'all get yours fixed ASAP as well...hit 116° yesterday and Thursday/Friday's high is supposed to be 118°!

So, good news on the A/C failure for MY.

After 2 days, they returned it good as new. They said that there was a miscommunication with the air louver, preventing the intake of air.
All they had to do was a 12V reset, (I assume battery since I reset my car a few times), and that solved the problem.

Hoping y'all get yours fixed ASAP as well...hit 116° yesterday and Thursday/Friday's high is supposed to be 118°!

Well, run it for a few days and see if the issue returns.

Fred

I'm curious to hear how the fixes have gone for others. My Y remains at service (since last Wednesday, so day 8 and counting), apparently more parts have been ordered, they now offered me a loaner if I want one. The app says it should be done end of day tomorrow though it used to say end of day yesterday, so.....the wait continues.

I'm curious to hear how the fixes have gone for others. My Y remains at service (since last Wednesday, so day 8 and counting), apparently more parts have been ordered, they now offered me a loaner if I want one. The app says it should be done end of day tomorrow though it used to say end of day yesterday, so.....the wait continues.

I dropped mine off yesterday afternoon. The service center stated it is now a known issue and there have been service bulletins put out regarding the problem. Additionally, they were able to see fault codes for the first time when my A/C was on but not cooling. I am optimistic now that a solution is on the way and for those others who have problems it will be much less of a challenge to get a fix. I will update as soon as I receive word on parts.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Here’s the invoice describing the issue and their solution. Our Y was in service for 6 days (we were given an S as a loaner) and we’ve had it back for about 6 days now, and so far the AC is working well once again.

Model Y AC repair

Thanks for the update, helpful info. My car remains in service (I also have an S loaner, though it's an 85D locked in chill mode, do they always do that?) and apparently they are expecting the final missing parts this week, i'm hopeful that the repairs mirror yours as I saw those washers in your invoice referenced in one of the parts e-mails I got (after the supermanifold and refrigerant parts apparently had come in last week) -- hopefully Tesla has this figured out now. Fingers crossed!!

I had a complete A/C failure Tuesday (08/04/2020), and took it to the service center yesterday. Today I received a "parts ordered" email showing a new AC compressor and supermanifold on the way. Sounds similar to what everybody else has been suffering, but maybe they will get it fixed on the first try!

BTW, possibly related: I've been a bit concerned about the car's power usage. My "lifetime" (550 miles) WH/Mile has been about 350, which seemed kinda high to me. I'm not a lead-footed driver! But on the 20 mile trip to the service center yesterday, in 112 degree heat with the AC off, I was getting 238. Could the "bad" AC system have been sucking up that much power? I would be relieved if that was the case! Time will tell, I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I had a complete A/C failure Tuesday (08/04/2020), and took it to the service center yesterday. Today I received a "parts ordered" email showing a new AC compressor and supermanifold on the way. Sounds similar to what everybody else has been suffering, but maybe they will get it fixed on the first try!

BTW, possibly related: I've been a bit concerned about the car's power usage. My "lifetime" (550 miles) WH/Mile has been about 350, which seemed kinda high to me. I'm not a lead-footed driver! But on the 20 mile trip to the service center yesterday, in 112 degree heat with the AC off, I was getting 238. Could the "bad" AC system have been sucking up that much power? I would be relieved if that was the case! Time will tell, I guess.
I was in the low 300's also, but its been dropping and now is ~270 wh/mi. I am at ~3600 miles in the Georgia heat.

Thanks for the update, helpful info. My car remains in service (I also have an S loaner, though it's an 85D locked in chill mode, do they always do that?) and apparently they are expecting the final missing parts this week, i'm hopeful that the repairs mirror yours as I saw those washers in your invoice referenced in one of the parts e-mails I got (after the supermanifold and refrigerant parts apparently had come in last week) -- hopefully Tesla has this figured out now. Fingers crossed!!
I just heard they’re replacing the super manifold in mine as well. So hopefully this is been the real issue.

good observation - however - there are plenty Model Y's that operate just fine. In New Jersey we have had 2 heat waves of 95 and above weather and the Y handled it like a champ. There has to be a range of Y's that has something up with hardware wise as the software works as well as appropriate capacity..

Reactions: DanDi58
I experienced this today after getting a car wash (by hand). Not a pleasant drive home. Rebooted (via foot on brake) and had no effect. Did the latest software update and it was back blowing cold air.

I’m thinking the software update was a step deeper than the full reboot. Anyways I hope this doesn’t happen again. It’s HOT in Houston.