Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 kWh Delivery Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm parsing this correctly, we can range charge with no ill effects, correct?

Correct.

We don't know for certainty, but it appears from the charging "bar" indicator that the car only charges up to 72% the top 28% is not charged or used as it would in a 60kw car. So charging to full range mode 40kw at 100% is essentially only a mid-level 72% charge on the 60kw battery.

Pardon me in advance if this sounds snippy, but isn't this something we should know for certain? Given that some customers have received their 40s (yay!) shouldn't the folks at the service center be able to give exact instructions on the most efficient charging techniques for the cars they are delivering based on how they limited the range?
FYI
I should be picking my car up next month and I'm just wondering what the experience will be like. How much time will they spend on a features tutorial? I was also hoping for something of a recipe for the best way to charge my car, given my particular commute pattern. I only drive to work three days per week, about 16 miles round trip. I predict my husband may want to use my car on my telework days, and his commute is about 40 miles round-trip. (Occasionally, I would like to make it to Baltimore (120 round trip) or maybe Charlottesville (115 1-way). ). Is there Really any chance I can get to Charlottesville in non -ideal conditions, and charge on a standard outlet without having to stay there for two days? If not, I have another car.
thx

It wasn't easy to search for VINs and figure this out. It is interesting to note that the VIN has the letter "C" meaning Base 40KW version even though it is really a 60 in disguise.

I noticed the "C" designation as well and thought it was interesting. If we upgrade to 60 kWh in the future, we can't change the VIN to be a 60. When I called insurance, I believe they saw it as a 60 which I guess makes sense.

I noticed the "C" designation as well and thought it was interesting. If we upgrade to 60 kWh in the future, we can't change the VIN to be a 60. When I called insurance, I believe they saw it as a 60 which I guess makes sense.

I was concerned about the "C" designation also since its really a 60 and could be upgraded, but then I thought what about battery swapping in the future? All our cars have the potential to have a different battery, so I realized the designation in the VIN is best thought of as "original configuration."

Pardon me in advance if this sounds snippy, but isn't this something we should know for certain? Given that some customers have received their 40s (yay!) shouldn't the folks at the service center be able to give exact instructions on the most efficient charging techniques for the cars they are delivering based on how they limited the range?
FYI
I should be picking my car up next month and I'm just wondering what the experience will be like. How much time will they spend on a features tutorial? I was also hoping for something of a recipe for the best way to charge my car, given my particular commute pattern. I only drive to work three days per week, about 16 miles round trip. I predict my husband may want to use my car on my telework days, and his commute is about 40 miles round-trip. (Occasionally, I would like to make it to Baltimore (120 round trip) or maybe Charlottesville (115 1-way). ). Is there Really any chance I can get to Charlottesville in non -ideal conditions, and charge on a standard outlet without having to stay there for two days? If not, I have another car.
thx

Soon, we'll know for sure once more people have them and post charging stats and mileage usage.

The best recipe to charge is to charge every night. With vampire losses and daily driving, the 40kw pack doesn't have the latitude in range to not charge for few days. I plug in daily and do a standard charge (4.4) every night starting at midnight. When we receive our 40 it'll be no different.

You'll get more comfortable with the type of watt/mi you're averaging based on your driving style, elevation gains/losses, speed, and weather. You can make it Charlottesville on a full charge driving conservatively, but you'll need to find a way to completely recharge to get back whether at a public J1772 charger or somewhere with a 240v outlet (unless you want to stay for 30+ hours on a 120v outlet).

I was reading this article posted in the other forum about life expectancy of the battery vs charging and temperature. http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/53817.pdf

I like to know as much about batteries as possible because I design systems with rechargeable batteries at work. I will spare you the details of reading that article and summarize it as follows. There is a correlation between the state of charge in the battery (SOC) and how long it will last. The higher the SOC on average left on the battery the quicker it "ages" the cells. This aging is also accelerated by heat. The ideal conclusion is to charge your battery just before you need to use it but that is hard to predict in real life, although you could set the charging cycle to start early in the morning so charging completes just when you would be ready to leave for work. However the 40 owners actually don't have to worry about this because the effect from the SOC is greatly reduce when kept below 80% of the total capacity. Tesla is limiting us to a 72% charge so we will always be below 80%.

Keeping the battery cool, charging it less that full might extend the batteries life another year to two. A batteries useful life is generally measured to the point when it can only provide 80% of it's original capacity, so even then the battery is still going to continue to be functional.

It looks like we have a new contender, folks.
@Jenni, what's your EOL date?
Don't know. Calling them hasn't been successful. I got a delivery window of 6/5-6/19, though. And my VIN email said I was heading to production. I have to be one of, if not the last 40, because I didn't decide til the last few minutes possible. Many thanks to the lady who did the test drive with me calling me to warn me the 40 was being canceled.