Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well let me be a bit argumentative here for a second. Are you saying that with every other vehicle you have even driven, you never regularly looked to check you speed? How would that be any different than checking the screen to watch for the nags? Just normal city driving you are being distracted by way more than a simple nag notification while on a highway. Paying attention to every road sign to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in the area you are in, or not going into an area you shouldn't(one way, do not enter), watching for lights turning yellow/red, pedestrians...etc...all of which are taking your eyes off the road directly in front of you.
I feel like you’re arguing for the same thing. “What’s one more thing to distract you?” Yeah…one more thing to distract you. Hence, the problem. I do check speed when driving around, but I certainly don’t do it every thirty seconds.

I feel like you’re arguing for the same thing. “What’s one more thing to distract you?” Yeah…one more thing to distract you. Hence, the problem. I do check speed when driving around, but I certainly don’t do it every thirty seconds.

Let me put it this way then...if the nags are a distraction, then either the driver needs to learn how to use the system as currently functioning to stop the nags, stop using the automated features....or there is a problem with the system.

Lots of people will jump on the "there's a problem with the system" but I counter that with unless a majority of users have the same problem, then there isn't a major issue with the system that cannot be overcome by the user changing their behavior.

Personally, I do not have many unexplained(by my behavior) nags.

After driving convoys in Iraq, paying attention to everything in the U.S. is easy!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread...

Anyone on 40.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning or the weight not working at all? I'm hearing lots of different things. I'm on 28.X and really afraid to upgrade now...I literally just got the wheel weight and I been hearing this.

View attachment 873721
IF you upgrade the new software detects the device, disengages FSD without any waning and reports the event to Tesla . Three reports and your suspended fro FSD

....... Are you saying that with every other vehicle you have even driven, you never regularly looked to check you speed? How would that be any different than checking the screen to watch for the nags?.......
There is a huge difference. When I check my speed I am doing it when I want to. When a nag comes in I have no idea when it will arrive. And if I am trying to concentrate on something important, like some idiot driver, I certainly would have a much higher degree of not reacting to a nag.

Reactions: parrainx and DrGriz
For those of you who currently have FSD beta, would you please comment if nagging is still being used or if it is reduced or eliminated. I am trying to determine when to jump in to use it. But if you have to divert your attention away from the road for something that is more unreliable than regular AutoPilot beta then I might want to stay away from FSD beta as currently available. Please advise.

For those of you who currently have FSD beta, would you please comment if nagging is still being used or if it is reduced or eliminated. I am trying to determine when to jump in to use it. But if you have to divert your attention away from the road for something that is more unreliable than regular AutoPilot beta then I might want to stay away from FSD beta as currently available. Please advise.
Wheel nagging has not been eliminated or reduced in FSDb. Eye/head tracking has not been eliminated or reduced. You should not use it.

Wait, you have to hold the wheel with full self driving? How exactly does the car turn on city streets if you’re holding the wheel?
Only for a few more weeks. The CEO says you'll not have to hold the wheel effective 01/01/2023

"The car will be able to take you from your home to your work, your friend's house, the grocery store without you touching the wheel," he said.

Wait, you have to hold the wheel with full self driving? How exactly does the car turn on city streets if you’re holding the wheel?

When you come out of a turn do you ever let the wheel slide through your hands to recenter....that's how. Anti-nag rotational torque is not required 100% of the time to keep the nags away, and even if it was the brief time of letting the wheel slide through your hands during a turn would not be enough for it to get to the kick out of AP point.

Reactions: brancky3
There is a huge difference. When I check my speed I am doing it when I want to. When a nag comes in I have no idea when it will arrive. And if I am trying to concentrate on something important, like some idiot driver, I certainly would have a much higher degree of not reacting to a nag.

Just because there is a nag doesn't mean it is imminently about to kick you out of AP though. There is a grace period before the nag turns into the alarm and kick out...By then you should have extricated yourself away from the idiot driver scenario enough to be able to continue general concentration on the normal driving task.

You should just stay away from FSD beta.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold