Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

455,000 active reservations at the time of the July Model 3 event.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have 63k fewer active reservations, you can't have a net gain of 1800 a day.

Sometime over the last year, they went from an estimated 515k down to 455k, which is where they were on Friday at the delivery.

Elon said SINCE THE DELIVERIES (the last week) they have averaged 1800 new reservations per day. He said nothing about a net gain over the last year or anything else.

If you find the reservation peak, they are still under it, but they've also been anti selling this car for a year.

"ONLY" 12,600 reservations? Not being rude but it's a car! How many companies get reservations for cars? And i'm not including exotics like a Bugati.
12,600 is pretty damn good considering Tesla did a reveal then did zero PR afterward. They just let the media and all the accolades given take care of the rest.
If i'm not mistaken the last time this happened was 1966 for the Mustang and the total reservations were around 15,000

Compared to the first reveal, it was only 12,600. You have to agree that 12,600 is way less than 300k, isn't it? Opel has 4+k Bolt reservations in Norway. 12,600 just really isn't that much. On the other hand, it's good to see that more people made new reservations, than cancellations, which I didn't expect. At least not after this reveal.

Sometime over the last year, they went from an estimated 515k down to 455k, which is where they were on Friday at the delivery.

Elon said SINCE THE DELIVERIES (the last week) they have averaged 1800 new reservations per day. He said nothing about a net gain over the last year or anything else.

If you find the reservation peak, they are still under it, but they've also been anti selling this car for a year.

Lets see......

518,000 divided by 490 days since 3/31/16.....= 1,057 reservations per day.
455,000 divided by 490 days since 3/31/16.....= 928 reservations per day.
455,000 divided by 452 ( weekdays ) since.....= 1,006 reservations per day

I don't get how they arrive at that number.....oh well.

I think I've said it in my followup post, I didn't know they were talking gross reservations vs active reservations. I thought it would have been reservations this time vs last time Elon mentioned a number.

Compared to the first reveal, it was only 12,600. You have to agree that 12,600 is way less than 300k, isn't it? Opel has 4+k Bolt reservations in Norway. 12,600 just really isn't that much. On the other hand, it's good to see that more people made new reservations, than cancellations, which I didn't expect. At least not after this reveal.

I think I've said it in my followup post, I didn't know they were talking gross reservations vs active reservations. I thought it would have been reservations this time vs last time Elon mentioned a number.
Well, Here are his latest numbers.

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk has ‘zero doubt’ about 10,000 units per week in 2018, corrects reservation tally

Funny that Elon compares the Model 3 to a hamburger.

A hamburger costs 7-8 bucks tops though. Slight difference compared to a $35-60k car. ;)

Well, it is where they got the aero design inspiration from.
IMG_0816.GIF

Based on the early M3 reviews and the reservations that are sure to follow, Tesla should remain supply constrained until the mid 2020's regardless of additional production build out. Exciting times.

If they were sure of that demand, Elon would probably take a shot at Alien Dreadnaught.

The problem with that plan is lack of flexibility. There is no way to shift production between the model 3 and the model Y with Alien Dreadnaught.

I'm guessing worldwide demand for BMW 3 and 4 series combined is 300-400K(anyone know exact numbers?). 500K Model 3 a year needs to be considered with regard to current premium luxury sedan demand.

Tesla has a great model 3 platform. Now they need to figure out what the world wants built on that platform. This approach is far more rational than "Alien Dreadnaught".

The MOST important number is how many of these reservations translate into purchases. I believe the number will be high, as reflected by stock performance and overall excitement for this vehicle (yes, despite the "OMG its not actually a $35K car" ). The only thing that may throw a wrench, are the upcoming (IF they happen in time) EVs from other manufacturers. As far as I am concerned, I am waiting for my test-drive before I pull the trigger, if I am happy, no questions I will buy the vehicle.

Incorrect.

There were 373,000 reservations in April 2016 shortly after the Model 3 reveal. This number has risen every week according to Elon and at the time of the delivery event last Friday was at 455,000. 1800/day new reservations have been added since then. So about 90,000 net reservations have been added to the list since April 2016, when it was 373,000.

In other words, many more people have been reserving than canceling.

Reactions: crmatson
There is an article on Yahoo Finance that states "63,000 people have canceled their Model 3 reservations so far. The # of orders were at 518,000 prior to 63,000 cancelling orders. Now at 455,000 orders
I think a much more likely reading is this: IF no cancellations had occurred, Tesla would have 518,000 reservations.
Or this: About 88% of Model 3 reservations have not been cancelled.
Or this: About 12% of Model 3 reservations have cancelled.

Think about this though: since the reveal, 1,800 new reservations a day, which works out to 12,600 new reservations a week. This means that even after Tesla spools up to 10,000 cars a week, the waiting period grows

Reactions: Thomas Edison
Model 3 owners club says thousands of 3's have already been stockpiled and are just awaiting delivery...
You didn't use any emojis so I can't tell if you are joking or not. But if anyone thinks that thousands of Model 3s have already been built they are mistaken based on Elon's public statements.

Yesterday I did the factory tour, my fourth in four years. The tour takes you right by the Model 3 production line: there was only a transparent wall of acrylic between the tour tram and the line. The line is so dense with robots I could not see more than 20 ft into it. The line wasn't moving and in the section of it that I saw (maybe 100 feet) I saw no car bodies. That did not surprise me, since just last Friday Elon stated that they had built a total of 50 "production" Model 3 cars. So Tesla is in the earliest stages of getting the production line running.

As far as the number of Model 3 reservations, what I heard in the quarterly conference call yesterday seemed like good news.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person