Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just seen this French review (same chap also has an installation video on his channel):

The display settings he's using look very much better to my eye, so much so that I might be tempted, if it will fit a RHD car OK. I can't see why it wouldn't, unless there is a difference in the steering column upper shroud moulding, perhaps.

Looks very good and mimics the Tesla UI nicely with hands on wheel notifications etc. One thing to watch out for could be the length of the loom for fitting to RHD- might need a extension. Not sure where it plugs into the CANBUS and if it’s a common location on LHD/RHD.

The micro display & link in post #156 looks very good & is discrete without distracting from the minimalist appearance of the interior (interferance with airvent flow in the position shown?)

Modular versions of this look too Heath Robinson... & sorry, I don't like that Topfit product - :eek:

Last edited:
Maybe others have found this but it's new to me. It's the first time I've taken the car onto a motorway since the upgrade. I do a 15 mile run to take my kids to college. Today, the weather is persistent rain. As I join the motorway, I switch onto Navigate with Autopilot. This also provides lane keeping, autosteer and cruise control. As normal, various messages about blocked cameras but we are proceeding OK. Suddenly but gradually, the car slows from 70 to 60...and then speeds up again. I scan the screen but it seems OK. Thirty seconds later, the same thing happens again. This time, I notice the 'Traffic control ahead' warning at the bottom of the display showing a set of traffic lights at red. Again, the car speeds back up. It keeps doing this and every time, it's flashing brake lights at the people behind me. Of course, there are no traffic lights on the motorway so I go back to manual and wait for cars to clear behind me. This time, I engage autopilot without Nav. Same thing again, five or six TCA warnings. Eventually, I worked it out. On container lorries, they have four rear lights - two at the top of the container and two in the normal position. Autopilot now thinks the two at the top are traffic signals. It doesn't do it with 'flatbed' trucks. It really is disappointing.

Looks very good and mimics the Tesla UI nicely with hands on wheel notifications etc. One thing to watch out for could be the length of the loom for fitting to RHD- might need a extension. Not sure where it plugs into the CANBUS and if it’s a common location on LHD/RHD.

Looking at the installation videos, it looks like the loom for the LHD version is the longest, it's routed from a connector within the RH footwell, up to the RH side of the dash, then across the dash to the steering column on the left. The footwell connection seems to be to a CANbus connector on the autopilot ECU, and I believe that's in the same place for both right and left hand drive cars. If so, then the loom for this thing would be too long for RHD cars, so may need to have the excess coiled up and tucked away somewhere.

Eventually, I worked it out. On container lorries, they have four rear lights - two at the top of the container and two in the normal position. Autopilot now thinks the two at the top are traffic signals. It doesn't do it with 'flatbed' trucks. It really is disappointing.

The closest that I have seen is that I once passed a truck carrying portable roadworks traffic signals, obviously all off. The car recognised them as traffic lights, all off. I was kind of surprised that it bothered to show them as you would have thought that something such as a moving traffic light would have been filtered out for visualisation.

Alas, seems like its not just visualisations of inactive traffic signals. I think if that experience was me I would have probably logged a bug report and raised a service request. Thats pretty poor behaviour in a scenario that it within a valid and common use case.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I think if that experience was me I would have probably logged a bug report

Good idea and if I knew how, I would. On the list of software notifications, it shows I have a stream of AP failures during the drive but doesn't actually mention the TCA - presumably because it doesn't think it's a fault. On Navigate with Autopilot, one would have thought there would be some event trigger that would understand there are no traffic lights on motorways.

Just seen this French review (same chap also has an installation video on his channel):

The display settings he's using look very much better to my eye, so much so that I might be tempted, if it will fit a RHD car OK. I can't see why it wouldn't, unless there is a difference in the steering column upper shroud moulding, perhaps.
Ah, that's good. I can speak French a little, but the German was pretty incomprehensible to me! Thanks for posting. :)

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed since the update, is when I move right to left lane, the steering wheel resists, just for a moment, as if I am forcing it out of AP. AP is not set when this happens.

Cruise is not set either.

I almost have push through the resistance in the wheel.

Are you indicating? If not, could be lane departure avoidance.?

upload_2021-1-14_18-59-19.png

Can't remember if there was an install video in this review: