Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If its actually 50k then it will be a no brainier.
A full-size truck with a ~120 kWh battery for barely more than a Model Y LR, a small SUV with a <80 kWh battery

Why yes, that would be a no brainer -- and it would assuredly be a money-loser for Tesla

However that is not how vehicle lineups are priced, for example look at the Ford Lightning pricing against Mach-E. Trucks cost more than SUVs, just as a general rule.

A full-size truck with a ~120 kWh battery for barely more than a Model Y LR, a small SUV with a <80 kWh battery

Why yes, that would be a no brainer -- and it would assuredly be a money-loser for Tesla

However that is not how vehicle lineups are priced, for example look at the Ford Lightning pricing against Mach-E. Trucks cost more than SUVs, just as a general rule.

Yeah well the Ford Lightning isn't selling very well at those prices despite being a good truck with great features. In fact the "base" Lightning is somewhere around 55K.

Yeah well the Ford Lightning isn't selling very well at those prices despite being a good truck with great features. In fact the "base" Lightning is somewhere around 55K.
Definitely and aggressive pricing will be required to have enough customers to move the 150-250,000 Cybertrucks that are currently targeted or being talked about, so it makes me wonder how exactly that will work purely due to affordability and market size at certain price points.

Cybertruck is going to be so much more vehicle than the S/X much less the 3/Y, both in raw size and battery size, so material costs will likely be significantly higher

Reactions: Cheburashka
Definitely and aggressive pricing will be required to have enough customers to move the 150-250,000 Cybertrucks that are currently targeted or being talked about, so it makes me wonder how exactly that will work purely due to affordability and market size at certain price points.

Cybertruck is going to be so much more vehicle than the S/X much less the 3/Y, both in raw size and battery size, so material costs will likely be significantly higher
I fully expect the initial pricing to be high due to the demand. Tesla has always done this when demand is higher than production. Then it will drop like a rock if demand slows.

I fully expect the initial pricing to be high due to the demand. Tesla has always done this when demand is higher than production. Then it will drop like a rock if demand slows.

I think you are right, it's almost always the first owners that get hosed.

That said, if they come in at a super high price, it may lead to mass cancellation of reservations which would also be really bad for Tesla. So who knows what they are thinking...

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Your "see everything about FSD" is the disconnect. FSD is ridiculously impressive technological feat even if not near the level Tesla hyped it. Their OTA updates, FSD, BMS, UI, trip planning, etc. are all better than most companies because they are a tech company. Most use third-parties for those aspects or do a poor job.
Every actual tech company attempting to solve self driving has done a better job than Tesla. Tesla has only gone backwards since they dropped mobile eye. Most other companies seem to have a comparable BMS. The UI is one of the worst clusterfucks I’ve ever seen, especially considering it’s a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mengy and Yelobird
Every actual tech company attempting to solve self driving has done a better job than Tesla. Tesla has only gone backwards since they dropped mobile eye. Most other companies seem to have a comparable BMS. The UI is one of the worst clusterfucks I’ve ever seen, especially considering it’s a car.
I and many disagree with all of this. Again, if that's your position, I see your point, but I don't believe that to be reality. Agree to disagree.

I and many disagree with all of this. Again, if that's your position, I see your point, but I don't believe that to be reality. Agree to disagree.

I’m going to say this, Blues Cruise is better than AP. Not sure about FSD because I did not pay for that feature but will most likely do a Monthly subscription to try it out.

In fact I feel as thought my 2023 is worse than the AP on my 2018 was. The Phantom braking has gotten worse and the car is always confused during sunset on whether it should brake or keep going. It’s a PIA.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I’m going to say this, Blues Cruise is better than AP. Not sure about FSD because I did not pay for that feature but will most likely do a Monthly subscription to try it out.

In fact I feel as thought my 2023 is worse than the AP on my 2018 was. The Phantom braking has gotten worse and the car is always confused during sunset on whether it should brake or keep going. It’s a PIA.
Blue Cruise is better than AP, but not close (intentionally by Ford) to FSD.

I've spent a month with Blue Cruise and the previous version was less than EAP, but still more useful than AP (except when it would cut off on large turns).

I do not have any phantom braking events with FSD and I put 1,000 miles in a week on my car 3 out of 4 weeks. I had bad phantom braking on FSD (not beta) with my radar 22 MSLR, but with Beta and newer versions, it's really non-existent for me.

That's not to say there aren't startling braking events, especially when very close to a semi or construction zones where the road is outside of the lane, but they are for known sources and with time very easily predictable.

MKBHD is probably in the LARGER PREMIUM WHEEL car, the only thing that would impact range significantly. Valid ASSUMPTION. The smallest wheels prob push it to 320 maybe.
Good point - given there are three wheel packages - similar to the MY today - base 19" wheels, 20" optional wheels, and the MYP has 21" wheels, and the range falls each time you upgrade to a larger wheel package. We should expect the same thing with the CT. From the Tesla App Updates data, we can see there's a base 18 inch CT wheel/tire package, an upgrade to a 19" wheel/tire package, and then a premium wheel/tire package (likely 20"+). Most of the showroom models seem to have the premium wheel/tire package installed. This could end up translating to pretty much the same range as the MY's offer across the models. 330 for the standard wheels, 315-320 for the upgraded 19" wheels, and around 300 for the premium wheel package.

1701283658776.png

Reactions: Evee
Without following the nitty gritty of what each company is doing, like down to a very granular level, I'll suggest we likely don't actually know how far along competitors are versus FSD because FSD is the only urban autonomous driving software in consumer hands where we get to see what it can do.

Other companies like Mobileye (used by a lot of companies), NVIDIA (powering Mercedes' Level 3 and I think soon BMWs), and others have urban driving capability similar to FSD but we don't get to see the testing in nearly the same frequency or level of detail. But when you see something like Mercedes rolling out NVIDIA's Level 3 and people criticize it, they're clearly not realizing that NVIDIA has cars on roads also doing stuff like FSD through paid, professional testers.

No other company wants to sell and put the urban functionality in consumer hands, only Tesla does that, but many others have implementations that can do it.