Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it's more about the seemingly nonstop blatant dishonesty. We'll find out soon enough but 500 miles range is a stretch today especially in a consumer pickup with oversized wheels/tires.
Guess we found out! 🤣

Order canceled.

IMG_9846.jpeg

This is 78-79MPGe.

Slightly better than the Rivian, which is 78MPGe for DM Large (calculated to 136kWh pack using same method so the 131kWh above is pretty close).

The Rivian Dual motor number is not done with AT tires. (AT takes 352 miles down to 307 for Rivian R1T DM Large 21”, according to Rivian)

The Tesla number appears to be with AT, based at least on the presentation today (I can’t see what tires it is actually equipped with). The spare tire is claimed to be all terrain and there were multiple mentions of those tires. Plenty of pictures of the tires of course - could look it up. They don’t look like extreme off-road tires, but some sort of compromise.

Obviously CT tires may not “really” be AT. But it is possible “apples to apples” we are looking at 340 miles Cybertruck with AT, vs 307 miles for Rivian R1T similarly equipped. Seems a bit too good to be true, and subject to change with more info on what tires we are actually comparing. Especially since CT Cd is 0.335 compared to 0.3 for Rivian? Hard to understand - haven’t calculated frontal areas, hard to do exactly. CT is wider but shorter I think.

Or you could argue that with street tires you might get 380 miles out of Cybertruck (as an EPA rating - not actual miles of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon73
Funny comparison, but I hardly think that 470+ could be considered as a failure. The entire CT release has been an unqualified success, despite the naysayers harping on the fine points. I didn't think that Elon could pull this off, but he did. Wait until people see a CT on the road.
i mean... you lose 1/3rd of your bed; have to pay another $16k (?) to get a heavy battery bolted in there and you are still only get marginally more range than a max pack Rivian R1T or the Silverado EV ... both which dont have the extra battery slapped into their beds like it's a DIY solution...

harping on fine points? like prices when up +60% (!) but the specs only match a 2yr old F150 Lightning AWD ? (talking about the CT AWD version here)

This is 78-79MPGe.

Slightly better than the Rivian, which is 78MPGe for DM Large (calculated to 136kWh pack using same method so the 131kWh above is pretty close).

The Rivian Dual motor number is not done with AT tires. (AT takes 352 miles down to 307 for Rivian R1T DM Large 20”, according to Rivian)

The Tesla number appears to be with AT, based at least on the presentation today (I can’t see what tires it is actually equipped with). The spare tire is claimed to be all terrain and there were multiple mentions of those tires.

Obviously CT tires may not “really” be AT. But it is possible “apples to apples” we are looking at 340 miles Cybertruck with AT, vs 307 miles for Rivian R1T similarly equipped. Seems a bit too good to be true, and subject to change with more info on what tires we are actually comparing. Especially since CT Cd is 0.335 compared to 0.3 for Rivian? Hard to understand - haven’t calculated frontal areas, hard to do exactly. CT is wider but shorter I think.

Or you could argue that with street tires you might get 380 miles out of Cybertruck (as an EPA rating - not actual miles of course).
340 miles of Tesla range is approximately 310-320 miles of range with Ford / Rivian or other EV manufacturers who tend to underrate the range they are allowed to go up to by the EPA...

Thanks to this thread. It's a letdown.

I reserved Cybertruck TriMotor AWD with a list price of $69,900 for the 500+ range but now it costs more with less range.

With an extra payment for Extended Range, it is still less range!

The range progress goes backward!

It looks like Tesla has encountered a road block in 500+ range even with extra money!
No different from the Plaid + fiasco. And just like that there was no more Plaid +. And yes I still bought one. And it’s great! Not planning on that happening this time.

Same story, same show. Stock price will drop tomorrow.

i mean... you lose 1/3rd of your bed; have to pay another $16k (?) to get a heavy battery bolted in there and you are still only get marginally more range than a max pack Rivian R1T or the Silverado EV ... both which dont have the extra battery slapped into their beds like it's a DIY solution...

harping on fine points? like prices when up +60% (!) but the specs only match a 2yr old F150 Lightning AWD ? (talking about the CT AWD version here)
Hey, the other 2/3rds is needed for the spare! Did you see that on the Tesla web page?! Unreal.

non truck people designing a truck...
Careful you have a two groups on the forum. Group 1 claims it will be the best TRUCK ever. Group 2 claims It isn’t really trying to be a real truck. Both will be throwing rocks at you.

When Gordon Murray was designing the original McLaren F1 he included the Acura NSX as one of the standards to beat. In fact he actually drove one as a daily driver. Didn't see Musk doing anything like that in the CT development. And it shows. I saw nothing in the delivery event that makes me think it out trucks anybody else’s truck - ice or ev.

340 miles of Tesla range is approximately 310-320 miles of range with Ford / Rivian or other EV manufacturers who tend to underrate the range they are allowed to go up to by the EPA...
There’s the scale factor of course (which Rivian also uses but to a different extent not nearly as high as the 0.77 used for Model Y for example).

It’ll be interesting to see how it worked out for the Cybertruck. If it is closer to 0.7 that would be good (it’s 0.707 for the relevant Rivian)! Less disappointment.

There’s no magic to the EPA test. I don’t think Rivian did voluntary reduction did they? It’s all formulaic and you can’t cheat. It is what it is. The scale factor and the buffer are the things that people view as “cheating.”

I’m much more interested in whether the tires are comparable than quibbling over the well defined test results. You can always look at raw results to understand what the highway performance is going to be (EVs should have a high speed highway-only rating as well).

Careful you have a two groups on the forum. Group 1 claims it will be the best TRUCK ever. Group 2 claims It isn’t really trying to be a real truck. Both will be throwing rocks at you.

When Gordon Murray was designing the original McLaren F1 he included the Acura NSX as one of the standards to beat. In fact he actually drove one as a daily driver. Didn't see Musk doing anything like that in the CT development. And it shows. I saw nothing in the delivery event that makes me think it out trucks anybody else’s truck - ice or ev.
Must continually called the truck a ’’car’’ In todays release. He doesn’t even really know he’s supposed to be selling a truck. it was just embarrassing

Last edited: